main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends An Alliance at Alida's (L/M) ~ Part the 15th -A Pledge and a Promise (update 3-9)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by divapilot, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walker_of_minds

walker_of_minds Jedi Master star 1

Dec 19, 2006
    This has been a wonderful story to follow-and the adjunct diary a great idea which increses the richness -you desreve the nom!

2. Jade_Naberrie

Jade_Naberrie Jedi Master

Jul 10, 2007
    Oh, wow! I just stumbled across this fic and I really like it. You seem to have Luke and Mara down pat. Very lovely characterizations.

I loved that last chapter. Mara's right; sometimes Luke can be a little thick-headed. I especially loved this line: Did it ever occur to you that maybe it was the will of the Force to send people like me, and Leia, and Corran, and everyone else into your life to help you? To show you when you?re starting to go astray? That caught me, for some reason. Mara can be so insightful. :D

Love what you're doing with this challenge. Very nice.

Please continue this!

3. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Jade_Eyes: Yes, they are stubborn. But once they figure this crazy love thing out, they will be just as stubborn in their love for each other![face_love]

Walker_of_minds: Thank you so much! That?s very kind of you to say.:)

Jade_Naberrie: Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I?m pleased that the characterizations seem ?right? to you. Mara always seemed to know what it was that Luke needed, even if he didn?t know himself. (And vice versa, of course!);)

[b]Presenting:[/b]

[b] [i] An Alliance at Alida?s ~Part the Twelfth: Learning the Leniency of Love [/i] [/b]

Thank you, Jedi_Trace, for another terrific beta! [face_rose]

[i] Author?s note: To keep in the spirit of the original challenge, I used 30 SAT words: Labyrinth, Lackluster, Laceration, Laconic, Lampoon, languidly, Lassitude, Latent, Laudable, Lavish, legitimate, Lethal, Lethargic, Levity, levy, Listless, liberal, liberate, linchpin, limitation, litany, literally, lithe, Litigate, loathe, livid, lobby, Lucid, ludicrous, and lurid. [/i]

[hr]

Han put down his glass and turned to greet the young man who approached the bar, his lassitude a sharp contrast against the levity of the establishment?s other patrons. As Luke sat down, Han motioned for the bartender.

?Bruno, my buddy here needs a drink,? Han announced. Gesturing to his own half-empty tumbler, he added, ?And I need a little something to help me get him out of this ludicrously gloomy mood he?s been inflicting on us lately.?

Luke sighed and listlessly dragged a hand through his hair. ?Good try, Han. But nothing you can do will help.?

Bruno pursed his lips sympathetically as he placed a tumbler of amber liquid in front of Han. ?Luke? What would you like to drink?? he asked.

Luke looked up. ?Just a flavored water, please. The usual stuff.?

Bruno nodded and went to the cooler to retrieve it. Han waited until the muscular bartender was out of earshot. ?Kid, you look like week-old bantha dung in the dry season,? Han announced laconically.

?Thanks, Han,? Luke retorted.

Han put both elbows on the bar and leaned in. ?Seriously, though. Where have you been these last three weeks? Leia is worried sick about you.?

?I?ve been working. She knows that.?

?Yeah, but this is more than working. You don?t come over, you have nothing to say when she comms you.? Han narrowed his eyes. ?The last time you retreated like this was when you and--?

?Han, I?m okay. You don?t have to take care of me. I?m a grown man,? Luke interrupted.

Han glanced sideways at Luke, then took another sip of his drink. Bruno approached with a bottle of light green liquid and began to pour a liberal amount into a tall glass.

Han turned toward the bartender as he finished serving Luke?s beverage. ?Bruno, what would you do if someone you knew were to suddenly act strange? Like someone who had been pretty happy began being incredibly cranky and had no explanation for it??

Bruno put down the bottle, stepped back, and rubbed his chin thoughtfully. ?Well, I guess I would first decide if it was any of my business to investigate.?

?Suppose it was really important that you did. Like, your life literally depended on finding out the reason,? Han pressed.

Luke rolled his eyes. ?Your life doesn?t literally depend on this,? he groused.

Han snorted again. ?You don?t live with Leia,? he said, shaking his head ominously.

Bruno smiled slightly. ?In that case, I would begin with identifying when this change occurred and try to determine a possible initiation event. If there was no obvious trigger, the behavior might be a latent response to an earlier event.?

Han and Luke both looked blankly at Bruno, then exchanged a glance. Bruno sighed. ?All right. How long have you been feeling like this, Luke?? he asked dryly.

?I really appreciate your interest, guys,? Luke said. ?But I have it under control.?

?If that?s the case, then why is Leia up all night because you?re too agitated to sleep? You know, if you can?t sleep, she can?t sleep. And if

4. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Wonderful update!! I love how both boys subtly knocked some senes into him! :D

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Yay!!!!!!!!!! Bruno's so wise, and so tactful, yet direct. He speaks from experience but also from just knowing what makes people tick so well. :) He gets right to the heart of things and untangles all the confusing and muddled headed thinking. He does it without making Luke all defensive and shut off, opening him up to the broader view. =D= =D=

Han was too cute in this. He's right about those two essential phrases LOL

Can Not Wait for the comm call. :) :)

6. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    There was a pause. ?Yes, sweetheart,? Han said. Luke smiled. ?No, I?ll be there soon. Why?? Han asked. ?I?m sorry. Yes, sweetheart. I?ll be home very soon. Love ya, princess.?

Han is such a good husband. :D He and Bruno both gave Luke excellent advice. Can't wait to see Luke carry it out.

7. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Well, Han took Chewie's advice to heart and actually uses it. [face_laugh]
    It's nice that Luke has friends who'll help him.

8. Jade_Naberrie

Jade_Naberrie Jedi Master

Jul 10, 2007
    Wow! Haha, I loved Han in this.

I'm glad Bruno knocked some sense into him. :) Now let's see if he can stop being a stubborn bantha and fix things with Mara.

:D

9. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Poor Luke. Everyone's got a say. LOL Luckily, their 'say' is good advice. He and Mara are far too stubborn, and left to their own devices they'll nearly die before saying anything. :oops: And the sad thing about that is that it's not a figure of speech. They will literally almost DIE before saying a thing! [face_shame_on_you]

So, let's hope Bruno (and Han, loved seeing him!) knocked some sense into our boy! :D Wonderful update, gal! =D=

10. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Han had me cracking up in this chapter! I can SOOO see him confronting Luke after bearing the brunt of a disconnect with Leia. [face_laugh]

And Bruno! How much do I love that man? [:D]

And if what she was saying concerned her enough to be that passionate, well, there?s a lady who cares about you enough to take a risk for you

Listen to him, Luke. [face_love]

Wonderful update! :D

11. JEDIFLYSWATTER

JEDIFLYSWATTER Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2004
    Luke needs to learn one of my 'Life Codes'. Less history and more mystery. Loved Hans discussion with Leia. Yes sweetheart and I'm sorry. Great job and thanks.@};-

12. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    There was a pause. ?Yes, sweetheart,? Han said. Luke smiled. ?No, I?ll be there soon. Why?? Han asked. ?I?m sorry. Yes, sweetheart. I?ll be home very soon. Love ya, princess.?

Oooh, Han setting an example for Luke! ;) Glad to see that Chewie gave him some good advice. :D

I loved Bruno's advice--practical, tactful and honest. Luke and Mara are really lucky to receive such great help!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. walker_of_minds

Dec 19, 2006
    Ahh Bruno is a wise one -Luke is fortunate for such experienced advice. Han was great ha "yes sweetheart, I'm sorry sweetheart" ha great fun!

14. Jedi_Scribe

Jedi_Scribe Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2007
    ?Kid, you look like week-old bantha dung in the dry season,? Han announced laconically.
    Ouch! You tell him Han!

?If that?s the case, then why is Leia up all night because you?re too agitated to sleep? You know, if you can?t sleep, she can?t sleep. And if she can?t sleep, she tosses and turns and takes all the covers and then that?s it for me. Then, ?cause I?m too tired, I get all snippy with Chewie, who gets in a bad mood and starts liberating limbs from innocent bystanders. Then we have to deal with the litigation, and, well, you see?? Han threw up his hands in protest. ?It?s all a tragic chain of events.?
    Oh, that is classic. Han's character is right on.

?That?s true,? Han interjected. ?Chewie told me right after I got married that the two most important phrases a husband should learn are ?Yes, sweetheart,? and ?I?m sorry? and that?ll cover just about anything.?

You are too clever! That's it so perfect!

OK, clearly Han stole the scene this time, but Bruno hasn't missed a beat - I hope he gets to give Mara away at the wedding! ;)
    Meanwhile, Luke is a complete neophyte at this relationship business. If anybody can do it, Skywalker can, but he better start making some more "office visits" with Bruno (and actually pay the man for his time) before it's too late.

15. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Luke, Han and Bruno - what a trio! Great chapter!

16. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Ahhh...loved it!

Favorite moment: ?Two things are the linchpins in a relationship, Luke: trust and forgiveness,? Bruno said. ?If you forgive each other for making mistakes, then you can let the past go. If you trust each other, then you know you will be forgiven when you mess up.? Bruno laughed. ?And believe me, you are going to mess up. Nobody?s perfect. Isn?t it nice to know that someone will forgive you and love you anyway??

That Bruno is gift to sentients everywhere!

Bravo! =D=

17. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    Eeep! I cannot believe I have not read this until now! I've heard about it several times, in the Beyond the Saga Awards and other places, and I finally decided hey, why don't I give it a try? I am glad I did! :D

I love the Luke and Mara interactions, it is so sweet and akward, especially with farmboy trying to make everything right... and the characterizations are right on! Though it is pre-Nirauan, I see similarities in their (adorable) relationship. In addition, I love your OC's Alida and Bruno!!! [face_love] I must admit, I usually have a certain dislike for OC's in fanfics, but Alida won my heart instantly. I loved it when her and Mara had a little heart-to-heart talk about Luke!

Sorry for rambling on, I loved it, and please put me on the PM list!:)

18. Blue_Milkshake

Blue_Milkshake Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 18, 2005
    What a happy surprise. I missed a post...So glad I found it!

?I really appreciate your interest, guys,? Luke said. ?But I have it under control.?
    ?If that?s the case, then why is Leia up all night because you?re too agitated to sleep? You know, if you can?t sleep, she can?t sleep. And if she can?t sleep, she tosses and turns and takes all the covers and then that?s it for me. Then, ?cause I?m too tired, I get all snippy with Chewie, who gets in a bad mood and starts liberating limbs from innocent bystanders. Then we have to deal with the litigation, and, well, you see?? Han threw up his hands in protest. ?It?s all a tragic chain of events.?

[face_laugh]I love Han![:D]

Good advice from both Chewie and Bruno. I hope Luke takes it and acts upon it. Besides, it's quite possible that Mara really wants to talk with Luke, but is stuck in a cave somewhere and can't get a good comm signal...

19. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    RedGold: I love how both boys subtly knocked some senes into him!
    Han knew where to take him to get the right questions asked.:cool: Thank you!

Jade_Eyes: Bruno's so wise, and so tactful, yet direct. He does it without making Luke all defensive and shut off, opening him up to the broader view.
    Bruno?s experience tells him to show the person the evidence, and help them make their own decisions. And he does want to help his friend. :D

Han was too cute in this.
    Thank you! Glad you liked it. Han is usually my comic relief. ;)

Jedi-2B: Han is such a good husband. He and Bruno both gave Luke excellent advice.
    Thank you! Luke is smart. He understands that he risks losing so much more if he keeps listening to his pride. [face_love]

RebelMom: Well, Han took Chewie's advice to heart and actually uses it.
    It's nice that Luke has friends who'll help him.

LOL! After all, Chewie?s the old married man around here. Luke does have good friends. He?s a likeable guy. :D Thank you for reading and replying!

JadeNaberrie: I loved Han in this. I'm glad Bruno knocked some sense into him.
    Yes, it?s time to stop being stubborn and see her side. If only they had a Force bond?[face_laugh] Thank you for your reply!

Ginchy: Poor Luke. He and Mara are far too stubborn, and left to their own devices they'll nearly die before saying anything. So, let's hope Bruno (and Han, loved seeing him!) knocked some sense into our boy!
    Thank you! Luke did hear it. Now, is someone giving our girl the same advice? [face_dancing]

Jedi Trace: Han had me cracking up in this chapter! I can SOOO see him confronting Luke after bearing the brunt of a disconnect with Leia.
    After all, he?s the one who has to deal with Her Highnessness. ;) Thank you for the beta and for the reply!

JEDIFLYSWATTER: Luke needs to learn one of my 'Life Codes'. Less history and more mystery.
    Excellent advice! Those two have an awful lot of history. You can?t keep looking backward.o_O

Loved Hans discussion with Leia. Yes sweetheart and I'm sorry.
    If Leia isn?t happy, Han will fix it fast. And sometimes fixing it means getting someone else, like Bruno, to do the work.:D Thank you!

Valiowk: Oooh, Han setting an example for Luke! Glad to see that Chewie gave him some good advice.
    Chewie?s a good husband. I could see him taking his big paw around Han?s shoulder and saying, ?Look, Han. If you want to win her over, first, don?t kidnap her??[face_laugh]

I loved Bruno's advice--practical, tactful and honest. Luke and Mara are really lucky to receive such great help!
    Thank you for your reply! Yes, Bruno has had a lot of experience helping others. He?s another big guy giving advice on ladies, I guess!:)

Walker_of-minds: Bruno is a wise one -Luke is fortunate for such experienced advice. Han was great ha "yes sweetheart, I'm sorry sweetheart"
    Thank you! Luke got good advice. He?s smart enough to listen. And apparently Han listened, too!;)

Jedi_Scribe: OK, clearly Han stole the scene this time, but Bruno hasn't missed a beat - I hope he gets to give Mara away at the wedding!
    Thank you! I like writing Han this way. He?s a good friend and a good husband, but he?s still a wiseguy. And Bruno is a wise friend, too.:)

Meanwhile, Luke is a complete neophyte at this relationship business. If anybody can do it, Skywalker can, but he better start making some more "office visits" with Bruno (and actually pay the man for his time) before it's too late.
    Ah, but Bruno gave up his job as a psychotherapist. Now he does it informally in his wife?s bar. Maybe Luke can leave a big tip. Luke is very wise in many things, but Mara has him thrown for a loop. The thing is, it?s mutual. [face_love]

JadeLotus: G

20. walker_of_minds

Dec 19, 2006
    please add me to pm please thanks

21. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I can see why this is a popular fic. I read the whole thing and am loving every minute of it.

22. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Did I say I'm still around?
    I'm still around.
    This is too good to pass up.
    Love it.[face_love]

<retun to lurk-mode>

23. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    Just curious if there's another post coming soon.

24. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Walker_of_minds: Thanks! I will add you to the list.

MsLanna: thanks for coming out of lurkerdom!

Jedi_Liz: I?m very glad you are enjoying this. Here is the next installment. Thank you for being so patient.

[b]Presenting:[/b]

[b] [i] An Alliance at Alida?s ~ Part the Thirteenth ~ Mysterious Messages [/i] [/b]

Thank you, Jedi_Trace, for another very helpful beta! [face_rose]

SAT words: malicious, marred, maxim, meager, meandering, meticulous, mitigate, morose, misgiving, misconception, mire, mundane, mettle, missive, manifest

[hr]

?What are you up to?? Bruno asked, his curiosity finally getting the better of him. He left the other patrons to address Luke, who had been slouched over a datapad for the better part of an hour.

Luke looked up, then blushed slightly. ?I?ve decided to write a note to Mara. She?s scheduled to go on another mission for Karrde, and she probably won?t be around for a while.?

Bruno hid a smile. He gestured at the datapad. ?You know,? he said, leaning against the bar, ?[i]this[/i] is the traditional medium for the heartfelt missive.? He slid a disposable bar napkin toward Luke, who smiled at the joke. ?Seriously, though, unless you plan to send it to her through a comm, you should write it on a flimsy.?

?Does it really matter?? Luke asked, frowning.

Bruno nodded sagely. ?It matters. Seeing your handwriting is always more impressive than reading something you typed.?

Luke leaned back. ?Alida once mentioned that you wrote her love poetry before you two got married. Maybe you could give me some ideas??

At that comment, a patron nearby perked up, frowning into his drink. ?Love stinks,? he announced morosely as he gazed blearily into his glass.

?Yeah, yeah,? Bruno muttered. He reached up to the shelf behind him and pulled out a small bottle, then poured the clear liquid into a glass and put it in front of the patron. ?Here, friend. You need to drink this and get on home. Give me your address and I?ll get you an airtaxi.?

Having addressed the issue with the incapacitated patron, Bruno turned back to Luke. ?All right, I?ll see what I can do to help. What do you have so far??

Luke handed the datapad to Bruno, who rubbed his chin thoughtfully as he read. Finally, he spoke. ?Well, this is a start. How long did it take to write this?? Bruno asked.

Luke sighed. ?Two days.?

Bruno raised an eyebrow. ?Well. Look, Luke. What you have here is truthful and honest, but not that exciting. Remember the old maxim about catching more myrins with sucre than with tart-root? Women like the romantic, not the every-day and mundane. I think you could change some of the wording. May I??

?Be my guest,? Luke said.

?Like here,? Bruno said, highlighting a passage. ?You write, ?Love is a really good thing.? You could step that up. How about changing that to something else?? Bruno thought for a moment, then nodded. ?Love is a [i]many splendored [/i] thing.?

The patron nearby lifted his head from the counter. ?Hah! No it isn?t. Love is a battlefield!? he slurred, a malicious gleam in his eye. He squinted at Luke. ?You know what, buddy? You give love a bad name.?

Bruno sighed and turned back to the patron. He walked over, took the glass of alcohol away from him and slid the new beverage in front of the patron. ?Friend, you need to drink this and head home. No more drinks for you,? Bruno said amiably before turning back to Luke.

The patron rose up indignantly. ?I don?t need to go home! I?m just fine. In fact, I think I?ll stay here and have another drink.? He glared at Bruno, then turned his scowl toward Luke. ?Love,? he snorted derisively. ?What?s love got to do with it??

Luke looked curiously at the conversation. ?Will that liquid mitigate his liquor?? he asked quietly.

Bruno stared hard at the noncompliant guest, who was busy muttering at the countertop. ?It would, if he drank it,? Bruno said, shaking his head.

?You want to drink that and go home,? Luke said quietly. He waved his hand slightly.

The man looked at him, squinted, then eye

25. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    [face_laugh] This is priceless! [face_laugh] No way I can quote my favorite, it'd be the entire piece. Love the drunken patron and Bruno's responses! Love the many song titles woven in the piece! Love that Luke did the little wavy hand thingie to get the drunk to drink the sobering liquid!

I just love it! =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.