main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT An Amusing Thread From 1998

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Formidious, Dec 29, 2015.

1. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Seeing your join date I know, just know, you have to remember the infamous thread: Sidious is a Force Ghost thread. That was before ROTS was released obviously. :D

Darth Dreadwar and Darkslayer like this.
  2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I have read this theory before, and I'll admit that I do find it interesting. However, I have some questions for you:
    Did you ever wonder what he was hiding under the hood?
    except for the one scene where we see him in person

3. The_God_Anubis

The_God_Anubis Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2015
    When you watched TPM, you already could see some clues.
    When Amidala says she's going back to Naboo, you can see him smirk a little bit. And at the funeral of Qui-Gonn, the camera pans to him, and it somehow radiates from him that he is happy. That's my opinion though ... :p

darklordoftech likes this.
  4. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 31, 2002

I hated the people here who said having a lightsaber was beneath Sidious. What fools they were, as if Darth Maul trained himself lol!

5. Sith_Smuggler

Sith_Smuggler Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2016
    This is the sort of thing I live for.

6. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Actually, it wasn't outside the realm of possibility for the same actors to portray different characters. Heck, in the James Bond series, the actor for the primary villain in a film has appeared in an unrelated role in other entrees (see Joe Don Baker and Charles Gray). But still, the name Palpatine, although unspoken in Return of the Jedi, was still present in marketing and not a secret.

By Episode II, I recall there being an official magazine where it showed the evolution of characters throughout the franchise. They explicitly showed Palpatine become the Emperor. But I guess another mystery was that people didn't think the Emperor and Sidious could be the same. You mean the guys wearing the exact same cloak...?

As I read into it, Sidious being the Emperor was the obvious part that needed no further explanation. For those who weren't well-versed on the actors, the Palpatine/Emperor revelation was what could cause some shock.

7. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Sorry to bump this thread but please can you tell me more :p

8. Delta-7

Delta-7 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 24, 2002

Honestly it's fun just to go through the old PT era film forums and seeing peoples wild predictions.

But anyway I quickly found two threads (and there are a lot more) that questioned the possibility of a Yoda v Palpatine Duel.

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/so-now-that-weve-seen-yoda-with-a-sabre.9429873/

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/who-would-win-yoda-or-palpatine.9661918/

9. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I was much the same way. I actually didn't realize Palpatine = Sidious until the reveal in Ep. III.

10. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    I guess it just goes to show that the obvious, simple answer is quite often the right answer. There's an awful lot of overthinking going on in the Force Awakens and Ep8/9 boards as we speak!

Which reminds me, I have another theory to expound...

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  11. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    Wait, Palpatine is Sidious? Mind=Blown!!

12. Cyreides

Cyreides Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 19, 2014
    what I'm getting from this is that you just want to say whatever you want in response to someone, but you're too afraid to actually quote them because then they might know about it and respond to your argument....? wow, if so, that's sort of pathetic

and also, that's a terrible, terrrrrrrrrible comparison.

we've had no onscreen representation of plagueis as of 7 movies, and only a passing mention of him in one of them, whereas with this it was incredibly obvious because there was plenty of visual/story confirmation throughout almost all of the movies.

13. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    what I'm getting from this is that you just want to say whatever you want in response to someone, but you're too afraid to actually quote them because then they might know about it and respond to your argument....? wow, if so, that's sort of pathetic
    ------

you couldn't be more wrong on why I don't quote people...and since I do not know you, I don't want to explain why publicly.

as for it being a terrible analogy well "that's like...your opinion...man"

I think it's best we just end this line of discussion here,.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  14. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I don't think it's a big deal if he doesn't directly quote you. He's still replying to you either way. And frankly that was kind of rude of you to accuse him like that.

Admiral Volshe and Dandelo like this.
  15. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    It seemed too easy that Palpatine and Sidious were the same in 1998. Looking back it works perfectly. The audience out though themselves with the story for the prequels since we already knew how it ended.
    The linked thread shows how much though people put into the new movies before seeing them. I really think a lot of prequel backlash came out of this.

16. Cyreides

Feb 19, 2014
    No, it's pretty dumb to not quote someone if you're going to discuss something with them. It'd be different if we were going back and forth regularly so I had a reason to check the thread for his response, then it slides a little. But as it stands, he can just say whatever he wants in response and unless you're on top of whatever threads you might make a post in, reading every single response in the thread it just leaves him able to say whatever he wants about whatever I've said without me having any idea about it... and that's stupid. There's generally 0 reason to not quote someone if you're commenting on something they've said.

lol i'm still pretty sure that's the reason
    no

this isn't opinions. the situations are literally different in drastic ways, that's a fact, and that was still a terrible comparison

17. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    1) There is a reason not to quote someone. If he doesn't feel obligated to tell you that's his call.

2) I'm pretty sure it's not.

Do you have a link to this thread? :D

Dandelo likes this.
  18. Cyreides

Feb 19, 2014
    a good reason? i doubt it

19. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Well I can't speak for Dandelo, but I know him well, so I'm pretty sure I know the reason and that it's a good one.

Bail B. Baobab and Dandelo like this.
  20. Cyreides

Feb 19, 2014
    well ok then. still doubt it

21. Poe loves Rey

Poe loves Rey Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2015
    How did they even know of the name Darth Sidious in 1998 if TPM didn't come out until 1999?

22. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Please leave him be. We get you doubt it. But, you're incorrect (as verified by two of us, plus himself) so you really shouldn't be demanding an answer.

And it is opinion that it's a terrible analogy. I thought it was a good analogy. To be honest. :p

23. Cyreides

Feb 19, 2014
    No, it's not an opinion lol.

Saying the snoke vs plagueis thing is the same as palpatine vs the emperor is factually wrong. there's a difference between the two, namely, as I already said, a visual/story related one.

we've never seen snoke and have nothing to go off of except a passing comment about him in a story in one of the movies. this leaves a lot of wiggle room.

in the other case, we have the same actor scheming in 5 of the movies, mostly looking the same and wearing the same clothes with tons of hints dropped from the jump, just in case it wasn't obvious enough. two different things, and a bad comparison. flat out.

24. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I see what you are saying, but that is your opinion.
    The idea that we've already seen the Emperor is, in my opinion, a slight difference. For all we know, we've already heard of Snoke, or even seen him (not that I believe he's Plagueis, of course. :p ). It's entirely possible.

Dandelo likes this.
  25. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    my analogy was more off an off the cuff remark rather than a serious discussion for dissection.

But I'm glad my post has spawned some sort of discussion of sorts. Not that was my intention.

Bottom line: people who thought Sidious and Palps were two different people are not stupid,

oh that's an opinion btw.

SlashMan likes this.