main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit An Analysis of the New Jedi Order and its Role in the Star Wars Mythos

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DigitalMessiah, Sep 4, 2014.

1. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    inb4 Vergere's a Sith.

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Äh, what?

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    LOTF Betrayal.

4. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Mace Windu had a vision of the Yuuzhan Vong capturing Coruscant.

The Unifying Force (the novel) also has a line in it, IIRC, that the Jedi had basically lost their talent for seeing the future given their relative ignorance of the Unifying Force.

Which became willful ignorance afterward.

xezene likes this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    In which book/comic did he have that vision?
    Is there a list of some sort of what Luke's jedi know and don't know? Because sometime they seem to have all the standard knowledge of the old order plus some obscure stuff while other time they seem to lack much basic knowledge.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Shatterpoint for the vision.

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    How do that work with some of the new jedi having Force visions in the time before NJO?

Also had Anakin learned about the Unifying Force to have his vision about Tahiri being tortured by the Yuuzhan Vong

Thanks

8. DurararaFTW

Jul 5, 2014
    He wasn't having a clearcut vision, just waking up every night with a feeling of dread concerning Tahiri in pain and Yavin IV in peril, leading to the natural conclusion. He had a vision of her turning Yuuzhan Vong tho she was still a Dark Jedi in that vision, not cut off from the force. Also, the creature they used to destroy Sernpidal was capable of being sensed by Jedi anyway so it doesn't really matter.

9. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    what was Mace's vision? do not remember that in shatterpoint.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Page 259 (Mace's journal):

In my dreams here, I have seen the destruction of the Jedi. The death of the Republic. I have seen the Temple in ruins, the Senate smashed, and Coruscant itself shattered by orbital bombardment from immense ships of impossible design. I have seen Coruscant, the seat of galactic culture, become a jungle far more hostile and alien than any on Haruun Kal.
    I have seen the end of civilization.

11. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    so what year was shatterpoint out?

12. DurararaFTW

Jul 5, 2014
    And then he went back to Coruscant and snuggled back under the comforting blanket of Palpatine's Forcevision-blinding darkness. Ignorance is bliss.

13. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    2003, a year after Traitor.

Oh it gets worse, per the Essential Guide to the Force the Empire found Windus Journal and used parts of it as Anti-Jedi propaganda and of course killed all life on Haruun Kal
    (Amusingly side note though, Traviss of course once again forgot to do her resarch and claimed it was part of the Galactic Alliance by LOTF, just like Jabiim which has also been turned into a lifeless rock by the Empire)

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Why did they do that? I mean, what so they win by killing of all life on Haruun Kal?

15. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Wipe out the local force tradition descended from Jedi as well as a world that sided with the Separatists?

Force Smuggler likes this.
  16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    For that you just release a virus that kill all the humans then you blame it on your enemies, there is no reason to kill of everything else.

17. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Not like Haruun Kal would need that much “killing” from what we learned about the world, since only the High Plateaus were even liveable. Though who knows what kind of stuff they threw down there along with the bombardment.

18. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    How does the Jedi combat meld that Anakin created in Vector Prime tie into Jacen's philosophies on the Force, do you think? Jacen said that he thought it would be a good idea when Anakin suggested it as a combat unit comprised only of Jedi–but he also dislikes the use of the Force as a weapon. My opinion is that this power actually agrees with Jacen's philosophies, because it ties the Jedi together at a deeper level, which was what Jacen was all about in VP–the Force being more than its surface indicated.

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I wouldn't really call that a philosophy: Jacen doesn't have one in Vector Prime, he's just dissatisfied with the existing philosophy embraced by the Jedi order.

I think something that people overlook vis-a-vis Jacen or more often Vergere's supposed philosophies is they don't have any, if we're defining the word "philosophy" the same as paradigm, i.e. a specific, rigid structure which explains the world.

"All the answers fall short of the truth."

"Very good!" Vergere clapped her hands and bounced upright like a spring-loaded puppet. "Very good, Jacen Solo. Questions are more true than answers: this is the beginning of wisdom."

"To know and to understand are two different things. When you climb a ladder, unless you abandon the lower step, you will not be able to climb to a higher one. Knowledge is like that. If you are not ready to let go of knowledge, you cannot get a deeper knowledge of the same thing."

20. DurararaFTW

Jul 5, 2014
    I'd say the completely breaking down of everything Jacen used to belief being required to become who he needs to be in itself is a pretty specific and rigid outlook on life/

21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Socratic wisdom isn't an actual worldview insofar that it is only an understanding of one's own ignorance without any assertions to be made of the world itself.

Of course Vergere has certain things she points out about reality to Jacen, but with regard to the higher mysteries, she has nothing but questions. And neither does Jacen. I was going to say one might argue that Jacen finally adopts a "philosophy" of the Force at the conclusion of The Unifying Force once he achieves temporary apotheosis, but even afterward he's still left with doubt from the experience and voices a desire to study further.

AND THEN HE GETS COOL FORCE POWERS

Riv_Shiel and Revanfan1 like this.
  22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Teenagers :rolleyes:

:p

B.t.w. did I understand it right that NJO begun just a short time after YJK ended?

23. DurararaFTW

Jul 5, 2014
    Yeah, like immeadiately afterwards if you really wanna make sense of the timeline. Jacen and Jaina are 16, Anakin is 15 in Vector Prime. All 14 books of YJK take place after the twins turned 14. That's a lot of stuff to fit in two years.

Gamiel likes this.
  24. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    it was like 7 years right? VOTF was 6 or 7 years before Vector Prime, and Survivior's Quest was 3 years before VP. I dont think YJK was that close.

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    VOTF?