main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit An Analysis of the New Jedi Order and its Role in the Star Wars Mythos

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DigitalMessiah, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    It's going to be really interesting to see TFA's take on the metaphysics. TCW gives me a degree of hope (though I wasn't a fan of Mortis from a presentational standpoint) but, y'know . . . .

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Well, I don't have a lot of faith in the story group given Leland was behind the Ones' inclusion in Apocalypse.

But I also assume Abrams and Kasdan don't even know that a story group exists.

And Kasdan wrote TESB and ROTJ, so that coupled with TCW is something to be hopeful about.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  3. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I think ROTJ sucks.

But not RE: The Force, so that's okay I guess.

4. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    i like muppets.

Riv_Shiel and Ulicus like this.
  5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    As I've said before, I think Mortis is almost too open to interpretation, which can make it a little tricky to discuss in a meaningful fashion.

6. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

yes , but there is a cost.

7. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    Could you elaborate? I'd like to hear the thought process, to try and figure out where we see things differently.

8. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
  9. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    okay here is what i think. I do not stop my canon at Traitor like DM does. I count the rest of the story. We all know that the journey to self knowledge can become a dangerous one , if it becomes an obsession. Jacen reached his culmination in TUf, when fighting Omni, he actually became the force. he was so imbued with it that he had abiities and knowledge that man was not meant to really have. It was this utopic state. Jacen said afterwards he would proobably spend the rest of his life trying to reach that state again. This led to the 5 year journey that led him to the dark side. A jedi must be humble, and balanced. Jacen became unbalanced in his obsession to know it all, and be it all. Vergere led him to this .

10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I don't stop at Traitor.

Dante1120, AlyxDinas and Riv_Shiel like this.
  11. Riv_Shiel

Apr 12, 2014
    So where does he go wrong? What flaw leads him to the state he reaches in TUF? And what is inherently wrong with the knowledge that he obtains in TUF? What specifically is not meant for man? How does his journey to enlightenment differ from someone like Buddha? Or Jesus Christ? How specifically does his euphoric state in TUF inform his actions thereafter (beyond launching his trip to study other cultures)?

Abadacus likes this.
  12. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    well, you see, when you reach an enlightened state by which the secrets of the universe are revealed to you, you promptly forget it when trying to reach that state again and try to reach it through evil deeds

dokratr0 and CT-867-5309 like this.
  13. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Don't have time to answer your questions right now. But let's not bring Jesus into it. I am a Christian, and Jesus was God before he even came down as the son. I would rather stay in universe. Jacen did not mean to do anything wrong, and it seemed that the force chose him, not that he discovered the ability. Trying to force the force to give it to you is a problem I guess

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    yeah Jacen tried to force the Force after learning that the secret was surrender

15. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Guess he unlearned that lesson

16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    makes sense

I hope Luke doesn't unlearn his lessons in the ST and become a Sith

actually I do

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  17. Riv_Shiel

Apr 12, 2014
    I apologize if I offended. Star Wars mythology does have parallels in real-world religion, including a point I was going to give related specifically to what you mentioned, but I will respect your wishes and refrain.

I hope you will answer my other questions when you have time - I really am trying to understand your position.

18. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    No offense taken. Just gets convoluted for me as I don't have a eastern religion viewpoint .

I did answer some of them in my previous post

19. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    If they keep him in character he won't

20. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Yeah like they kept Jacen in character

perhaps I'll be saying the same thing about Luke in the ST

I appreciate the cognitive dissonance at work here though.

Miriedis and Riv_Shiel like this.
  21. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
  22. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Just thought I drop this here
    [​IMG]
    Alternate NJO Sourebook cover.

23. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Is that when the big reveal was going to be that Luke was a lizard person all along? Or a Vong infiltrator, ala the Skrulls?

24. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    No I think it’s called “art style meant evoke nightmarish images” ;)

JediMatteus likes this.
  25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Ashley Wood? Not sure why they thought his style was a good fit for Star Wars. World of Darkness, OTOH...

I think I've lost my passion for this. I feel as though I'm rewriting the same stuff over and over with different phrasing. I actually kind of summed up Traitor to my satisfaction in the other Vergere thread that's gone completely off the rails.

I realized the next thing that I was planning to write was essentially an expansion on my Luke post, dropping the same quotes that have probably already seen repetition in this thread.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I think I've beaten both Vergere and jiiasjen/integrating the shadow (thanks Abel) to death.

Otherwise I might start expounding on CHIM and the Tower and prose poetry and that sort of garbage from Michael Kirkbride and Marathon. (Not here, of course)