main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends An Ancient Lesson 16 y/o Qui-Gon--Repost

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Healer_Leona , Nov 12, 2000.

1. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I've had a couple of inquiries ( yes a whole 2) as to my first story, An ancient Lesson. I had meant to simply find it and give the address but after a thorough search on the board I discovered it has vanished.
    Anyway, here it is, part at least. I'll post pieces daily, that should take about a week as it's not very long.

Hope you enjoy....

The two boys fought furiously, their lightsabers sizzling as they clashed. From their controlled breath and the sweat on their brows it was obvious they had been battling for some time now.

At first glance one would have assumed it an unfair match. One boy, a human had short brown hair. The traditional Padawan braid swung around him as he moved. He had a thin face with a long distinguished nose. Slender and very tall he towered over the other boy by nearly half a meter.

His opponent was short but more muscularly built. Though humanoid he had the palest of yellow skin, his head topped with shocking white hair.

They fought in the center of an arena surrounded by an assortment of onlookers. On one side others, dressed in identical training tunics, stood watching as the boys battled heedless of their audience. Across the way chairs were occupied by the more prominent visitors.

The smaller of the two parried and swung his white blade as he began to set himself up for a quick change of direction. His lightsaber held high he feinted a chopping movement as he twirled in a circle. Switching his grip the boy angled down and as he turned to face the other he swung up with all his might. His blow was instantly met with the glowing green blade of his opponent.

"Ooomph!" Erin Del grunted at the sudden block. He'd thought that this move would have finally brought about the end to this lesson as it had the last time he used it.

"Good counter Qui-Gon", the Jedi instructor said from the sidelines. "One must always be prepared for the unexpected." This he directed at the other Padawan Learners that watched.

Encouraged by the praise the larger boy pressed on. This time he would get it right. This time he would prove to his peers the wisdom of his Master in choosing him as an apprentice. He allowed himself a quick glance to the area where his Master watched.

For several short minutes he gained ground as he used the Force to read the moves of Erin's before he made them. Tapping into the Living Force of his adversary he could clearly see the outcome of this contest. If only his body didn't betray him.

Though only sixteen Qui-Gon Jinn had long ago attained his full height of six foot four. The only problem was he hadn't yet been able to settle into his long frame. Many times he felt as though he were still an awkward toddler just learning to walk. It seemed the taller he grew the less control he had over his own body.
    Feeling a rare surge of confidence he thrust and swung at Erin placing him on the defensive this time. Deciding to use Erin's own failed move against him Qui-Gon readied himself to whirl around in the same manner he had seen Erin do. Gathering the Force he accelerated his motion. With the extra boost his body spun around faster then his legs, causing his overly large feet to become tangled. Unable to stop as he swung up with his lightsaber his forward motion carried him off his feet, high into the air flying at the other boy.

"Hey!" was all Erin could manage to say as Qui-Gon landed on top of him sending them both to the floor in a heap.

Qui-Gon watched as his lightsaber flew out of his hand, disengaged and went skittering across the floor finally coming to rest at the feet of their Jedi instructor.

2. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    I think I must have managed to miss this first time round... I'm really looking forward to the repost Leona!

3. Alli-Wan

Alli-Wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 21, 1999
    Oh, I loved this story the first time it came out! Thank you for reposting it. (Have you considered having it archived?) You really should. --AWK

4. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Hate to show how dense I am Alli-Wan...but what exactly is archived? I have saved it to disk.

5. Alli-Wan

Dec 21, 1999
    Arhived, as in posted on a Star Wars Fan Fic website. They have one called the Jedi Temple Library (http://www.templelibrary.net/) which has mostly fanfic which started out here, as well as many other sites, some focused on Qui-Gon, some focused on Obi-Wan, some JA, some OT, etc. etc. It's a nice way for more people to be able to read your stories as a whole unit after they are finished. (I'd refer you to one of mine, but neither one is finished. ;) ) In any case, I'm sure several sites would be interested in hosting your story.

6. Calamity Jinn

Calamity Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2000

Ooooh! I missed this as well! I like the image of Qui-Gon not yet used to his height/body.

I'm already looking forward to tomorrow's post!

7. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    I'll enjoy reading this again.

8. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    I love this story! I am sooooooo glad that you decided to repost it Leona!

Eagerly awaiting more!!!!

9. Healer Apprentice Lina

Healer Apprentice Lina Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    OOOoooooo!
    I've never read this one Leona! I'm so glad you're reposting it. I agree. I also like the image of Qui-Gon not quite used to his lanky frame.

10. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Oohh, cool, new readers. Well, here's the next part.

"Do you mind?" Erin asked, his tone edged with irritation. From the other young people that watched quiet laughter and snickers could be heard.

"Sorry." Qui-Gon apologized rolling off the boy and onto his back.

Involuntarily he craned his neck to see his Master's reaction to this fiasco.

Yoda had already turned away, engrossed in conversation with the slim, non-descript man that had accompanied him into the arena.

Expelling a heavy sigh, Qui-Gon closed his eyes letting his head fall back. It struck the floor with a distinct *crack*. He relished the pain that exploded in his head, grateful to have something else to think about than yet another embarrassment.

For perhaps the third time that day he felt totally inadequate as an apprentice. Though he tired to banished the negative thoughts, knowing they could lead to the dark side, he was nevertheless overcome with fear.

Fear that he would never be able to master control over his gangly body. Fear that the ever patient Jedi Master Yoda would lose hope and have to finally admit that not even he could train such an inept student. Fear that what he wanted more than anything else in the world, to be a Jedi Knight, would never come to pass.

"Qui-Gon, are you injured?" Master Derek Nor interrupted his brooding thoughts.

"No Master Nor", he replied forcing himself to a sitting position. "Only my dignity." he added under his breath.

"Well enough for today." Master Nor said handing him back his lightsaber. "We will meet again tomorrow at ten hour", he told his class.

"Yes Master." came the unified response as the other Padawans filed out of the room.
    A tall dark-skinned youth walked over to the still seated Qui-Gon.

"Come on Qui. That wasn't really so bad. You would have had him if it wasn?t for that little uh.. miss-step. He was totally surprised." The boy offered his hand pulling Qui-Gon to his feet.

"Thanks Mace", he was glad for the positive words.

Mace Windu was his closest friend. They had known each other since small boys in the temple and had literally grown up together. Both boys had open, inquisitive minds and became fast friends. They were practically inseperable up until the time they had been chosen as Padawan Learners.

"Why is it I always manage to make a fool of myself when the most people possible are around to see it?" Qui-Gon bemoan as he straightened his tunic and distangled his braid from around his ear.

"Just lucky I guess?" Mace laughed out loud.

Qui-Gon chuckled at his friend. He knew Mace wouldn't allow him to wallow in self-pity. Only he had the knack to erase the self-doubts that constantly plagued the taller boy by seeing the humor in most circumstances and making him laugh at himself.

Through their training bond Qui-Gon felt the approach of his master before he heard the *click*, *click*, *click* of his walking stick.

"Harder must you work to push your fears aside", Yoda stated gruffly.

Qui-Gon respectively hunkered down, cutting his height to a third as he spoke with his diminutive Master.

"Yes, Master. I didn't mean to let my mind wander to the dark side" he said dejectedly. "It's just so frustrating to be such a disappointment to you."

"Hmmph, disappointment you are not Padawan. Patience must you have. Grow into your body with time you will." The small green Master patted his apprentice's arm comfortingly.

"Yes, Master. Qui-Gon answered obviously relieved.

"Now go you must to classes, but know that late meal must you make." Yoda turned heading back to the adults that still lingered in the arena. "A guest we shall have for dinner", he added slowly hobbling away.

A mental picture was flashed into Qui-Gon's mind. Yoda tied and trussed like an Aldarian piglet lying on an elaborately decorated table. A purple jeba fruit protruding from his mouth.

He shot a shocked look at Mace who was trying desperately to maintain a neutral face.

"See that I did, Padawan Windu",Yoda suddenly called

11. LadyJedith

LadyJedith Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2000
    I'm charmed, Healer Leona.
    Thank you for deciding to reapost this great story!
    16 y/o Qui-Gon... What could be better?
    Hmm, 45 y/o Qui-Gon, perhaps, she said thoughtfully to herself... ;-) I'm anxciously waiting for the continuation!!!

12. mouse2

Oct 29, 1999
    Loving this even more Leona!

How about a twentysomething Qui-Gon wearing tight black leather pants? Or jeans and a white t-shirt? Yummy!

Excuse me, now that I've picked myself up off the floor I think I'll ask Leona to give us more! Please?

13. Calamity Jinn

Calamity Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2000

*fans herself rapidly*

Better not dwell on that last comment.

More please Leona!

Well, okay, maybe I've a few minutes to think about that image...

14. Ping

Ping Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 23, 1998
    Oh, a first for me. I really like this, especially how Qui isn't all that graceful. Being tall early is hard!

*impatiently awaiting more*

15. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Mmmmm, twenty-something Qui, or even better thirty-something prime Qui-Gon. Can't say I haven't thought about it, just nothing suitable for this forum. Ohhh, did I say that out loud???? LOL

I'm thrilled this story is bringing back readers and tempting new ones. It's an inspiration to finish SASWM.

The rest of his day passed blissfully uneventful with barely a thought paid to the unfortunate incident in the training arena. Of course that was largely due to the fact that as a Jedi Apprentice his days were filled with countless hours of classes, lessons and training and that was in addition to any missions he accompanied his Master on.
    Aspiring to be a Jedi Knight was no small matter. There were those in the galaxy that assumed all it took was a high midi-chlorian count and to be Force sensitive to make you a Jedi, but Qui-Gon knew different.
    Each and every Jedi Knight and subsequent Master had only achieved that title after long years of arduous training. Each had earned their status through unwavering commitment and personal sacrifice.

Qui-Gon was aware it was not an easy life for any of the initiates. His own difficulties were of no greater consequence then anyone else's. It was just that, of course, they were his own.

As he stood outside the door to the living quarters he shared with Master Yoda he could sense even before entering that the apartment was empty. Since a change of mealtime was not specified he could assume that late meal would be expected at the usual hour. This meant he had plenty of time for preparation.

Before entering his room he paused in the doorway. Closing his eyes he reached out to the Force and was immediately rewarded with the warm glow of the many living things that occupied his room.

There was a sleep couch against one wall. One that he had long ago out grown yet never seemed to have the time to replace. A desk was next to it covered with a score of projects in various stages of completion. The rest of his room was filled with an incredible amount of growing plants and a number of creatures he was caring for.

Upon opening his eyes he quickly scanned the room making sure there had been no unwanted escapes. The half dozen animals were all in their enclosures. Most of these were rescued after being injured or orphaned in some way. These were allowed to stay until healed or old enough to be returned to their natural enviornments.

There was one though that would probably been considered more of a pet. This one had been discovered when he was only five years old.

He remembered it had been during a class trip to Zigra Cun, a small, unspoiled moon void of any inhabitants other than the indigenous wildlife.

This was his first excursion away from Coruscant and he was astonished by the amount of fauna and foliage. It was a drastic contrast to the cold metal world he called home.
    Sitting on the muddy banks of a great swamp he had felt an unusual vibration in the Force. Placing his hands on the cool surface of the mud he was amazed to feel an incredible signature of the Living Force.

Oblivious to all else, he began to dig through the mud, scooping handfuls out of the way.
    It was only the demanding voice of one of the Jedi chaperones that brought him back to reality.
    "Qui-Gon Jinn, what are you doing?" she asked.

Looking up he was surprised to see not only Master Mina Crioux standing before him but gathered around her legs were the rest of the young initiates.

"Yes, Qui-Gon", a very young Mace Windu repeated in a mocking voice, "what are you doing?"

This caused an eruption of giggles among the children.

"Mace." Master Crioux said disapprovingly, looking down at him with a frown. Her tone was enough to silence all the children and she turned her attention back to the boy in the mud.

"Look what I found!" the muck covered lad stated with elation.

Pulling his hands out of the rather deep hole he held them out for all to see. There in his small, cupped hands lay a large, fat worm. Its gray-segmented body squirmed slo

16. LadyVorgunby

LadyVorgunby Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2000
    ah so Qui has been picking up pathetic life forms for a long time then...

I am enjoying this very much!

17. LadyJedith

LadyJedith Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2000
    Okay, here's that Force-sensitive worm Qui-Gon reflected about in Should As Strangers... :cool:
    This post was incredibly nice, and I must confess I can't wait for the next one, Healer Leona!

18. Alli-Wan

Dec 21, 1999
    The worm! My favorite part! I love the worm! Thank you again for reposting HL! --AWK

19. Healer Apprentice Lina

Healer Apprentice Lina Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    The part with the worm was a great touch, Leona!

I also love Mace and Qui's exchange. Their relationship is just so perfectly rendered by you. Keep reposting!

20. jedi_master_gimpy

jedi_master_gimpy Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    Thank you so much for reposting it, Healer Leona!!! I'm really enjoying reading it, it's really neat to read stories about Qui as a teenager, feeling the exact same things as Obi-Wan! (although Obi doesn't worry that much about being tall!) We don't see very many just Qui stories here.

I hope we get some more soon! :)

21. Ping

Ping Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 23, 1998
    Hee hee! A worm? I love it! Very nice post. :)

22. mouse2

Oct 29, 1999
    Loving this more with each post Leona! Loved the worm!

Okay, okay, a prime thirty-something Qui-Gon wearing only a...

I'll let you use your inagination on that one! :D

23. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    After showering he began his work in the kitchen area. Cooking had been a duty learned out of desperation. He had quickly learned as a Padawan that his Master preferred his meals in the solitutde of his living quarters. That meant they prepared their own meals. Now that would have been fine had it not been for the fact the Dagoban Master cooked only one dish. A thick pasty gruel that though it provided all the nutrients needed it left something to be desired on the palate.

At first Qui-Gon simply ate what was put in front of him. After a number of months he began adding different things to enhance its flavor. He experimented with an assortment of spices, fruits and other ingrediants. Some with favorable results and others that caused him to become intimately familiar with the refresher.

One particular spice he had discovered off world while on a mission with his Master.
    At first the shop's proprietor was not only reluctant to sell him anything, assuming Qui-Gon was merely an annoying adolescent, he would not even speak with him. Finally after proving to the man he had the necessary credits to pay, the man warmed up to him.

"Comes from a far away galaxy this spice does." the man said pulling a dust-covered canister from a high shelf.

Qui-Gon had meant to dismiss this offering, obviously the man was having trouble getting rid of the product, until he smelled the sweet, orange spice.

After questoning the owner as to the safety of the spice he bought the small container.
    That same night he added it to the gruel. Eating late meal by himself since Master Yoda had Council matters to attend to, he had woken three days later in the infirmary.

Confused and disorientated he opened his eyes and looked around. He knew where he was instantly, only the answer of how he got there eluded him.

"Back with us are you?" came the familiar voice of his Master.

"Master . . .", Qui-Gon croaked dryly. "What happened? Why am I here?"

"Eat things unknown to you you must not." Yoda warned.

Understanding came quickly. It had been the spice.

"I was told it was a harmless spice" Qui-Gon defended. He was not a baby in the creche, prone to putting everything in his mouth. He had questioned potential danger.

"Not for Jedi melange is." Master Yoda told him. "Lost in the Force you can become."
    Yoda sent waves of assurance through their bond letting his apprentice know he was not angry. "Relieved I am to have not lost my Padawan."

That was one of many culinary lessons learned that year.

Befriending the Jedi Temple's cooking staff Qui-Gon became quite the chef over time.

Busy in the kitchen preparing their meal Qui-Gon reached out tenitively to the Force.

//Master?// he sent, working as he waited for the response that would come when his Master was available. Not wanting to overstep any cultural or religious taboos it was necessary to verify the menu with his Master.

//Yes, Padawan?// Master Yoda answered shortly.

//Are there any special requirements for our guest this evening?// Qui-Gon inquired. There was a short hesitation as he sensed his Master speaking with another.

//No special requirements does our guest need.// Yoda sent back and after a moment added //Something sweet after the meal perhaps.//

Qui-Gon smiled. It was not for himself that Master Yoda requested a dessert.

Undoubtedly it was for the mysterious guest. This piqued the young Jedi's curiosity. If this man was just a friend of his Master's there was no reason to feel concern. Though it was not customary practice for a non-Jedi to be allowed in the training arenas it certainly wasn't beyond reason that an exception could be made, especially for Master Yoda.

This person being here has nothing to do with me, he thought as a dozen possible
    explanations swam through his mind. Time will tell, time will tell.

By the time he sensed the arrival of his Master, Qui-Gon had their meal done. He had just placed two steaming cups of tea in the common area as the door whooshed open.

"Thank you for the tour, my fr

24. mouse2

Oct 29, 1999
    It will be okay Qui! I promise!

Now go get yourself some black leather pants!

Loving this Leona! As you can well see! :D

25. Jee-dai

Jee-dai Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2000
    I haven't read this story before. Interesting how Qui-gon went through the insecurity phase as an apprentice, too. :)