main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

An Ancient Lesson-16 y/o Qui-Gon

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by HealerLeona, Jan 18, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Obi-torture? How soon is 'soon'?

[This message has been edited by Jane Jinn (edited 02-15-2000).]

2. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    This is good! Post more! Please! SOON!!

3. HealerLeona

HealerLeona Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2000
    Almost done.
    she rubs her hands excitedly.
    Maybe one more chapter and I can concentrate on my other story.

By the end of the week Qui-Gon had resigned himself to partcipate in the Padawan Tournament (as if he had a choice) but wondered why his Master hadn't pulled him from that too.

His classes with Sin Tu were progressing nicely. He found the Romka-Xun-Tal katas pleasantly calming and had learned a graceful proficieny with them.

The day before the tournament he told Sin Tu about it and his being compelled to participate.

"You don't sound very enthusiastic about this, son." Sin Tu said, surprised by the boy's disheartened tone.

Qui-Gon's shoulders slumped and he mumbled under his breath.

Something was eating at the young Jedi.

"Talking about it may help" Sin Tu offered "and it doesn't need to go beyond us"

Qui-Gon looked at the man uncertainly. He was a friend of Master Yoda's yet maybe he might be able to provide some insight into what his Master thought.

"I...uh.. I don't understand pulling me out of Master Nor's classes for three weeks then expecting me to participate in a tournament without proper training" Qui-Gon said quietly.

"You lack confidence in your skills?" Sin Tu questioned.

"It's not what I think that concerns me" Qui-Gon hesitated. It was a private matter, something he had not voiced openly to anyone but Mace.

Sin Tu knitted his eyesbrows waiting.

Taking a deep breath Qui-Gon pushed on. "If Master Yoda feels dissatisfied enough in me to pull me out of class why would he force me to compete tomorrow."

"Is that what you believe, that he did this because he saw you inadequate?"

"What else make sense." The Jedi's emotions started to surface. His tongue now sufficiently loosened wagged recklessly.

"I don't want to sound ungrateful but these classes are not exactly warrior material. Not being a Jedi you may not understand the incredible dedication it takes to master the lightsaber or its importance to a Jedi Knight."

"I mean no offense." he added, catching himself, realizing his words may sound harsh and disrespectful.

"None taken." Sin Tu replied, shaking his head. The lad's thoughts on the superiority of the Jedi Order was understandable. What wasn't was the obvious insecurities he had of his own abilities.

Yoda could do a bit more in easing his apprentice through these highly emotional adolescent years, he thought. A few encouraging words were not going to send this young man to the dark side.

"Qui-Gon," Sin Tu made a decision. "you should know that my being here is not due to any failure on your part, quite the opposite in fact. Master Yoda saw in you great potential and came to me. After seeing you in the arena I had to agree and offered my services and you should also know my services are not called upon lightly."

Qui-Gon listened quietly. He could feel the sincerity of the man's words though they added slightly to his own confusion. He still couldn't understand replacing formal lightsaber practice with lessons given by a non-Jedi.

"I suspect this tournament tomorrow will prove highly enlightening." Sin Tu said cryptically as they parted company.

[This message has been edited by HealerLeona (edited 02-15-2000).]

4. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    I don't want it to be over so soon, but on the other hand, I find myself looking forward to your next story, HealerLeona, especially the part about you-know-what.

But this story is a charming little piece, nonetheless. I especially liked the line "A few encouraging words were not going to send this young man to the dark side." Nicely tongue-in-cheek, I thought.

5. HealerLeona

Jan 18, 2000
    Ok, so maybe one more post after this one. It's taking longer than I thought to conclude.

The atmosphere in the arena was highly charged, the excitement palpable as Qui-Gon entered the room.

Not surprisingly, all the seats in the stands were occupied. It seemed every Knight and Master had found their way to this event and sat taking among themselves.

Qui-Gon strode over to where the other contestants waited anxiously.

"Qui!" Mace shouted, noticing his friend's arrival. "Quite a turnout." he said, a goofy grin plastered to his face.

"Yeh, apparently trouble in the galaxy is at an all-time low." Qui-Gon answered noting the endless stream of Jedi that poured into the arena.

"This is great!" Mace exclaimed, unable to hide his excitement.

Qui-Gon glanced around at the other Padawan Learner's. They all seemed to share his friend's enthusiasm for the upcoming contest.

He offered Mace a strained smile and bobbed his head accordingly. His only thoughts were to leave the arena with his pride somewhat intact.

Across the room he saw Master Yoda enter the arena accompanied by Sin Tu, who immediately broke away, heading for the class instructor, Master Derek Nor.

Qui-Gon watched with interest as they conversed briefly. A wide grin crossed Master Nor's face as he nodded, shaking hands with Sin Tu.

Returning to Master Yoda, Sin Tu spotted Qui-Gon and gave a short nod of acknowledgement.

Two seats had been vacated in the front row for Master Yoda and his guest who rejoined him.

Wonder what that was all about the young Jedi thought, Sin Tu's parting words coming back to him.

Master Nor walked to the center of the arena. The large room became silent.

"Honored Masters and Knights", he bowed to the audience, "ladies and gentlemen. I wish to thank you all for attending. I will explain the rules of this contest and then we shall begin."

Turning to the Padawan's he continued.

"Each pair will occupy a section of the arena designated in orange.", pointing to the lines painted on the wooden floor."
    Each round will be limited to one point five standard hours unless a kill point is made or a forfeiture is made out of bounds. If neither occurs before the time allowed the decision of victor will be made by the recorder droids.

The victors will then be granted one quarter hour of meditation before proceeding to the next round. At the end of the third round the winning apprentice will have one half hour of meditation before the last round at which time the name of the opposing Master will be announced."

Holding up a data pad Master Nor began reading off the names of the first pairing.

"Serdi Navala, Terilan Deen....El-Rin-Ko Dashika, Junt Hom....Jameela Hakim, Mace Windu....Qui-Gon Jinn, Tak Eknos..."

Tak Eknos, a male Orlothian smiled happily.

It was apparent to Qui-Gon the boy was very pleased with this draw. Even without the Force it was obvious the Orlothian presumed an easy victory.

Let him, Qui-Gon thought, overconfidance could be used to his advantage.

As the rest of the names were announced, the eight pairs walked forward taking a position in an orange framed square.

A recorder droid buzzed to life in each section, hovering above the contestants.

Qui-Gon faced Tak Eknos, the boys bowed to each and ignited their lightsabers.

They stood poised in classic Jedi stance, their sabers held up, their breaths held, waiting for the other to make a move.

Tak lunged at Qui-Gon, his white blade stabbing at the taller's midsection. In an easy motion Qui-Gon side-stepped, swinging his blade around to knock his opponent's blade away.

Their blades met again and again, sparking with each contact. Tak continually advanced on Qui-Gon, forcing him to retreat backwards as he fought.

Tak's plan became clear. If he kept him moving Tak hoped that Qui-Gon's legendary clummsiness would cause a mis-step that would ultimately result in his defeat.

Instead of allowing this thought to remain, Qui-Gon lost himself in the Force. With the added control learned in his recent lessons his mind became

6. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Excellent descriptions of the fight scenes, and a good strategy for Qui-Gon! I'm looking forward to the next round--I mean post.

7. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

JediKnight-Obi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 13, 2000
    Ohhh thats is SOOOO cool. I really like this story.
    GO QUIGEE GO!
    heehee

8. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    *sputters* I . . . but you . . . it's not . . . The suspense!! It's not fair!! Post! Please!

9. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    This is so good! I can't believe that I just found this and you're almost done!

I can't wait for your next post.

10. Jedi Igraine

Jedi Igraine Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 20, 1999
    Marvelous post, great action sequences, however my only critique is that a single elimination tournament with 16 combatants or 8 pairs would take 4 rounds not three to get to a victor who would then have the right to fight a master.

1st round 16 combatants or 8 pair
    2nd round 8 combatants or 4 pair
    3rd round 4 " or 2 pair
    4th round 2 " or 1 pair
    5th round Master bout

Can't wait for your next post.

Igraine

11. HealerLeona

Jan 18, 2000
    Jedi Igraine; I've only just figured this out myself. I've already edited Mace comments about the number of contestants since I'm planning only 4 total rounds.
    Also wow, thanks for all the replies
    Beams happily at work

12. Hiroko01

Hiroko01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 1998
    Take it from a real-life tourney fighter, eh?

13. Jedi Igraine

Jedi Igraine Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 20, 1999
    Nods head up and down at Hiroko01
    and replies with a simple "Yep".;-)

Igraine

14. HealerLeona

Jan 18, 2000
    Thanks, everyone for the replies, it's great encouragement and has renewed my enthusiasm for the story. I have a small post for now.

Qui-Gon looked toward the audience, at Yoda specifically. Everyone else around him was applauding loudly. Yoda merely tapped his gimer stick on the ground, only the twitching of his long ears showing movement.

To anyone unfamiliar with Master Yoda they would have thought him cold and uncaring but Qui-Gon had been his apprentice for six years and knew that the Dagoban Master's rare show of emotions were incredibly subtle.

The sight of the gnarled old stick rapping the floor filled the young Jedi's heart with such emmense pride he thought it might burst.

Careful to maintain control, Qui-Gon politely bowed to the crowd and returned to the sideline where a beaten Mace Windu met him.

"Mace, I'm sorry." he told his friend, sympathizing with his loss.

Mace shook it off with a bright smile, "Are you kidding. From what I saw out there I'd never stand a chance against you."

Qui-Gon blushed profusely. "Come on Mace, I just got lucky."

Mace' face darkened abruptly, his normally whimsical demeanor replace with a frown.

"Force, Qui-Gon. If you really want to lose you just keep thinking that." he reproached sternly. "I've known you too long and all kidding aside, you've always been the one this came natural to. So there's been a few awkward moments" a smile crept back into his eyes, "ok, quite a few but I know you more than anyone has the ability."

Gesturing to Erin Del, the only other apprentice left, Mace began walking away saying, "Make quick work of this one Qui. You've got a Master to whup."

[This message has been edited by HealerLeona (edited 02-19-2000).]

15. Young_Sith_Apprentice

Young_Sith_Apprentice Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 1999
    *thinks about it* Hmmmm....

Actually, she has written many stories, this is one of her first Star Wars storys though. We (her daughter-who's posting, husband, and son) have suggested that she go pro, she has some really really good writing skills. But does she listen? Noooo, of course not. I also suggest that she POST again! Jedi Klan Destin, you should have seen her reaction when she read your post, she went crazy (in a good way), it was hilarious! Well, anyway, Post!

16. HealerLeona

Jan 18, 2000
    Jedi Klan Destin--thank you for your post and I humbly appreciate the compliment, but I must say there are far superior stories on this site. Also keep in mind the Sith cannot be trusted.
    Young_Sith_Apprentice--my first thought is what can you possibly want now.
    (just kidding. hee, hee, hee)

Getting to the end is proving a much longer journey than I anticipated. Here's another small post.

After the required meditation Erin Del suppressed his growing irritation with the boy that stood before him.

Older than Qui-Gon by two years he long ago had hoped to be chosen as Padawan Learner by Master Yoda.

Though content as apprentice to Master Modoora Tablur, he was still resentful of all the imagined advantages that may have been his if only apprenticed to the prestigious Master Yoda.

He believed all of Qui-Gon's accomplishments in the Order were in no small part due to his fortuitous accession to the position of Yoda's Padawan Learner, not his own skill.

Each time Qui-Gon's awkwardness had shown itself Erin felt secretly vindicated in the thoughts he harbored that he would have been a more worthy selection.

He also believed himself to be the better swordsman and this would be the final proving ground for that fact.

The room was silent, all eyes on the last Padawan contenders.

As the recorder droid whirled to life two lightsabers ignited simultaneously, their hum the only sound penetrating the arena.

Erin Del quickly took on the offense, slashing and thrusting, attacking with confidence.

Each time he encountered the green blade of his opponent's in measured defense.

For every well trained manuver he used, Qui-Gon parried with a superior move of impeccable grace and impressive speed.

This was not the clummsy boy he had beaten many times in class. This opponent moved with all the dexterity of a seasoned warrior. Movements were fluid and precise, expending the least amount of energy needed to ward off the blows.

Doubt seeped into Erin Del as he assailed with vigor, swinging his weapon forcefully only to be again countered, his mortal blow thwarted.

Reaching for the Force Erin could sense the absolute convergence of his adversary with the Force never felt before.

It became apparent to him, not only the possibility of defeat but should his competitor take the offense he could do naught but lose.

As if in immediate response to those thoughts he felt a change of momentum in Qui-Gon's strokes.

Their angles deepened, their speed increased.

Clash! Clash! Clash!

Erin defended himself widly against the ferocity of the hits as the green blade became a blur.

As he watched the deciding blow Erin saw only a mask of serenity on Qui-Gon's face.

In slow motion he saw Qui-Gon take a short step back, swinging down sharply, not at his opponent but at the weapon he held.

Saw as the emerald saber connected powerfully with the shaft of his own, the force knocking it out of his hands.

Saw as the human boy stepped forward, his lightsaber at first pausing in mid-air than reversing direction.

Gritting his teeth, not wanting to cry out at the inevitable blow, Erin steadied himself as the blade slammed into his waist, burning through his tunic.

Beeeep "Kill point. Vitor Qui-Gon Jinn."

17. Young_Sith_Apprentice

Young_Sith_Apprentice Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 1999
    That was wicked! Post more! Post more! That was completely awesome, I had a great picture of the fight in my mind, thanks to your wonderful description.

18. Knight Obi Wan

Knight Obi Wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 17, 1999
    Oh man, like YSA said, you could see everything!! Go Qui Gon!! Which Master is he going to have to fight??? Man, that just goes to show ya that it's always the one with the most against him that turns out to be the one who comes out on top!!

19. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

JediKnight-Obi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 13, 2000
    OHHHHHHHH *in awe*
    That was a GOOOD fight scene.
    I wish I could write such good ones.
    Very good. MORE more more!

20. Hiroko01

Hiroko01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 1998
    Wow! That fight scene ruled! The slowed time/Zen thing was actually pretty realistic and you carried it off wonderfully.

"And now... you will fight... Master... YODA!" hehehe!

21. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Oh, that was great! I wish I could write fight scenes like that!

So...which master is he going to fight?

22. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    C'mon, c'mon, post please, Healer Leona, we want to know what happens!!

23. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    POST!

Please we need to know which master?

24. Jedi Gryph Grin

Jedi Gryph Grin Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 25, 1999
    Wha...? Looks around frantically But....?!?! How did I ever miss this?!?! Mouse2 asked me this morning if I'd read this already. And I wasn't sure. Well, I'm sure now that I HAVE read it. This is awesome HealerLeona, keep up the great work!!

No new post for me on my story, this one kept me captivated.

25. HealerLeona

Jan 18, 2000
    WOW!I'm honored by all the positive replies and it certainly does inspire me to run back to this story. I have another small part, like I've said this has turned out to be the extended version.
    Hope you enjoy.

Performing the required honors, Qui-Gon bowed to opponent and audience amid thunderous applause and loud cheers.

Kneeling where he stood he linked with the Force in deep meditation. He did not want to lose the level of focus he had attained in that last round.

The power of the Force moved around him. Its intensity, a cresting wave that washed through him, filled him with the light of the good side. Through the Living Force he could feel his connection to all living things.

With the Unifying Force as his guide he saw far ahead to countless possibilities of the future.There he saw much pain, loss and even death (though not his).

It would be a difficult life, more often than not a lonely life but yet one of incomparable measure.

Such a revelation was it that here, now, at this moment he vowed to dedicate his life to the Jedi Order as a Guardian of Peace and Justice and do the will of the Force.

In that vow he felt both peace and strength.

Master., he cast out over the bond.

Understanding you feel, enlightenment., it was a statement, not a question from Yoda.

Yes, Master.Qui-Gon opened his mind fully to his Master, sharing with him all he he see.

A great Jedi will you be, Yoda sent with unmistakable love and pride.

Thank you Master, for everything. Qui-Gon could feel the small three-fingered hand gently stroking his head and as he pulled away could hear...

You're welcome, my son

Sensing his time was up and Master Nor getting ready to address the crowd, Qui-Gon opened his eyes and rose to his feet.

"We have the auspicious honor of having in attendence today the greatest swordsman of the last two centuries. He has graciously agreed to engage our Padawan Tournaament winner in the final round."

Master Nor walked to the front row, made a sweeping gesture with his hand and announced...

"May I present Master Sin Tu."

Sin Tu stood while everyone around him applauded, nodding their heads in knowing recognition.

Across the way the Padawan Learners stood dumbfounded, their faces shocked and blank. It was only remembering their manners that a one or two of them began to clap randomly.

Though never stated, all of them assumed it would be a Jedi Master.

He should have also been surprised but somehow Qui-Gon wasn't. It all made sense now. He remembered his Master's introduction of Sin Tu and wasn't Yoda always saying how things may not be how we perceive them.

Again he was struck with wonder at Yoda. Hwo could he ever have thought his Master was anything but compassionate and encouraging.

Qui-Gon watched as Sin Tu made his way to the center of the arena, revealing a beautifully inlaid handled lightsaber from the folds of his tunic.

"A gift of the Council over one hundred years ago." Sin Tu explained, knowing the Jedi penchent to glorify their chosen weapon.

"Presented by Yoda no doubt." Qui-Gon smiled, extended his hand. "I owe you both my sincerest thanks and apologies. Thanks for the invaluable time and lessons of a great Master. My apologies for misjudging you." he bowed accordingly.

Looking up, Qui-Gon flashed a mischievous smile, holding up his lightsaber to ready he added, "I won't misjudge you again."

"Oh, the cub grows claws." Sin Tu mocked surprise, reading Qui-Gon's challenge with a flush of eagerness.

Ok , I ended there because I don't have the last fight written. Actually I'm a bit apprehensive after all those glowing reviews.
    I want to get it right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.