main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Roch, NY An Announcement from your NE RSA

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by strawbary, Sep 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    It's not a brand new club. It's the old one with a new Untarnished name. The majority rules in a situation like this and they have the backing of the administration of this website. New leadership and a new direction for the club has been chosen.

2. Padawan_adri

Padawan_adri Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 14, 2001
    Saber, we have been planing this for a while, that is why we are so quick to accept it ;)

3. TheEmperorsHand

TheEmperorsHand Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 2000
    John, we held a meeting that you could have attended where we decided all this. our RSA, strawbary, was there as well as many members of what was the GRASWFC. We decided to reain the same club with a name and leadership change. Katie (Jeid_Nitess) is extremely organized ;) and typed up the minutes from the meeting, so those are up if you want to see just what happened.

the majority of the members think this is a good change, and the ones who don't didn't bother to show up at the meeting which says to us that they don't really care. I hope you decide to stay with us John!

4. JediAgent

JediAgent Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2002
    Thank you all very much.... I am glad you like the new banner. :)

Strawbary, thanks again for coming to our meeting and helping us get this whole thing straightened out. If you need a banner re-design, I would be happy to help you out. Just send an e-mail to rochesterrebellion@yahoo.com about what you want for it and such.

I look forward to this organization doing alot of fun activities in the upcoming months, especially with the release of Star Wars Episode II to DVD and to IMAX theaters. If you haven't signed up for the mailing list, please visit our Yahoo!Group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RochesterRebellion/ so you can stay informed of all our events.

Finally, thanks to everyone who has been working hard for this club. It is through our members continued support that we will grow as a club. May the Force Be With You!

--Ryan

5. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Is this going to be your new website? If it is do you want me to lin it at the top for you?

Edit: I guess I should have put the url in. Duh!

6. Jedi-Nitess

Jedi-Nitess Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2002
    Hey Rox - I think that will probably be our temp site...until we start fundraising and have the money for our own domain name. Ryan would be the person to double check with, since he's being kind enough to host us for right now. :)

7. JediAgent

JediAgent Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2002
    Hey Rox,

Yes that will be the temporary one for now, so you can link to that. As Kat said, once we get some money, we will be able to purchase our own domain name and web hosting service. Thanks!

--Ryan

8. Mara-Jade-Skywalker

Mara-Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 21, 2000
    I have a suggestion for domain hosting... We could use Chitie if the rates are the same as they were last time I checked. ;) It's pretty cheap and they have good hosting. ;)

9. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    My host is 28 dollars a year for hosting check them out.

www.34sp.com

10. Paul_B

Paul_B Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2001
    Good ideas...

$60 seems a bit pricey now-a-days for web hosting with a domain name. I would like to see a site without annoying pop-ups and required logos and banners though.

PB

11. TheEmperorsHand

Aug 27, 2000
    our parents pay 75 a year, I think, for theirs with a domain name... *shrug* I'm really very clueless about all this though.

12. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2001
    Well, John, and others, it seems that this club has rapidly changed hands once again. I find it all to be a bit hostile myself, especially when no one told them they could not do any of this in GRASWFC. Maybe these people will be able to do what I and others have been trying to do for years. Then again maybe not. It all looks so simple on paper. I have seen it many times before. Then there is the work involved. No one ever wants to do the work. Maybe they will have enough people that want to do all of this between work, school, and the rest of what goes on in there lives. There was a day when I wanted to do half of those things with GRASWFC, and I was but only a couple of people who wanted to. That's why it never happened. Not even close. We tried to do things to promote the club to find more embers but it did not work out to well of course. Back then I had more free time, know I do not. I hope there is still room for those that can only, or only want to post on the board and make it to an occasional meeting, and still be considered a member. By the looks of the list there will be some kind of minimum activity requirement to be considered a member. That worries me. I really do not have anything to contribute to making movies, costumes, bands, food sales, and charity work, not to mention the time to give to such things. Years ago I did, but not know. I was all into trying to do all of that. That was why I took the name SWFreak or Star Wars Freak. I really lived Star Wars Day to Day and wanted to really get involved in all that stuff but it was not happening here. I suppoert all that stuff in Fandom, but when you get to seriouse and controlling about it, its no fun. I see this happeneing with this group know. I hope I am wrong. Before, no one wanted to do any of this. There was no real leadership because no on wanted it, before all of you people joined since this Fan Force Board went up. I tried to explain this when the Fan Force thing went up, but I guess I did not get the message across, because here we are. I told everyone to speak up but no one did so I assume that they all were happy with a message board and an occasional meeting to talk about Star Wars. Turns out they were not happy with it all this time and did not do as I asked and waited all this time to do anything about it. Anyway even though I do not condone a lot of which is going on, (such as the name the rebellion which sounds like a Gang or something negative like that) I am a Star Wars Fan living in Rochester, NY, and am interested in associating my self with local Fandom. Also meeting people of like interests to form possible friendships, so you might see me around. That is why I joined back in 96. We did our best with what we had. Somethings worked, and some did not. I do not regret any of it.

13. TheEmperorsHand

Aug 27, 2000
    nice post, Jeff, but I don't think you understand us correctly. we are all sharing responsibility. things just didn't work out for the GRASWFC. we wanted to be in a club that did things. I know that you are more interested in collecting but we're interested in other aspects of star wars as well as collecting. as far aas I know, you don't have to participate in the charity work, only attend a certain number of meetings. I do know that I am interested in do anything with this club since it's really great to see all the ideas everyone here has :)

14. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    I put the link going to your website up there.

15. Mara-Jade-Skywalker

Mara-Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 21, 2000
    w00t! Thanks Rox! :D

16. Robotech

Robotech Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 25, 2002
    Remember, people wanted to do things in the GRASWFC as well. Of course it never happened because nobody seemed to ever agree on when to do it. If someone suggested a time/date, other members would say they couldn't do it then because of doing something else.

Remember how we didn't go without meetings for months because someone would not want a meeting on a day becuase they had somethings else to do? It finally took a poll and voting to decide when to do it. That was just for meetings. Imagine if another activity was planned. I bet the Rebellion will be no different. This movie people are talking about was discussed months ago. Summer is almost over and no real progress has happened.

Why are the meetings moved to some coffee house now? The Villiage Gate was a central location for everybody. We had the huge area to ourselves. What advantages does a coffee house (with other non-SW people around) have over Villiage Gate? Pulling out the latest Star Wars toy is just going to get strange looks there. At Villiage gate, we could be as loud as we wanted to be, could display all they latest toys and even have lightsaber fights and nobody cared. BTW where is this coffee house?

17. Paul_B

Jun 27, 2001
    For those of you who are questioning the "re-structuring" of the club... simply put... the club needed new leadership. I for one was sick of planning events and activities only have someone else come in and take over only to destroy everything I had been working on. The meetings were uneventful and boring. Money was taken for merchandise never received by some members. Activites were talked about but never actually acted upon. It was time for a change...

I'm also glad to see the meetings held at a different location. VGS is run-down. I was getting sick of being approached by the homeless in the parking lot asking me for gas money everytime I went to a meeting. The Spot is a good place to meet for now. Plenty of room, food and drinks are avialable, and the atmosphere is pleasant and comfortable.

If you haven't gone to a meeting of The Rebellion... I would ask that you hold all comments and criticism until you have attended at least one or two. In the first five minutes, more gets accomplished with The Rebellion than in 2 months of meetings with the GRASWFC.

18. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    There were a lot of things wrong with the VGS. It was rundown, it smelled, it was hotter than Tatooine, there were no places to get anything to drink or eat that didnt involve sitting down. The Spot Coffee Shop is right downtown. Its very easy to get to and no offense but the "meeting" where people were sitting around sweating and jabbering on about relatively nothing. And as far as the movie plans go, theres a tentative idea, a script hopefully in the works and I know for a fact that several members of this group have been busy gathering props or getting their preliminary costume stuff done. We've got a new ACTIVE E-Board thats done a great job so far. Dont knock it until you show up and see that there is being progress made. Dont need negativity to start with, give it a shot

19. Otto_den_Ktulu

Otto_den_Ktulu North Ridge Event Coordinator star 5

Jan 19, 2002
    Concerning the comment of having lightsabre fights in the halls of VGS: The only reason any of us did have sabre fights at recent meetings was because there practically was nothing better to do. We'd show up, sit down, wait for the older members to get there, wait for 20 minutes or more for them, and still just sit there when they got there. So we decided to do an alternate thing, and that was creating our own fun at a boring meeting. The "leaders" of the Rebellion have a lot of good ideas and a lot of initiative to get them going. I believe that if all of us have at least a quarter of the ambition they do, the club will go places. And many of us do have that amount of ambition. The movie has a lot of good stuff going for it right now. And the new leaderships knows what it's doing, and has the ability and time to do it. Give the "new" club a chance, you just might like it. I know I do.

20. CaptainAlex1

CaptainAlex1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 19, 2001
    A homeless person asking for gas money? Not only does your lack of compassion and understanding seem just mind blowing, but you know what gets me is the following. As some members of this "new Rebellion" have pointed out they would like to do events which will benifit the community either through some kind of fund raising, or other kind of event. But yet in the same breath there is a change of venue away from the "smelly, rundown, homeless infested" VGS. Just sad.
    Perhaps insteed of making this fan film you could perhaps use that time and money to actually help people and give the club a name worth being proud of.
    -Alex

21. Paul_B

Jun 27, 2001
    Once again.... someone speaks up without knowing the facts.

Alex, I don't know you... We've never met. If you wish to question my comments based on your apparent knowledge of situations that have never involved you, go right ahead, but keep your opinions regarding my moral and ethical behaviors to yourself.

Thanks,
    Paul B

22. TheEmperorsHand

Aug 27, 2000
    Alex, we're not trying to insult anyone here. and nobody called VGS "homeless infested," Paul was just stating a fact. why would we want to hold meetings for a respectable club in a rather run-down area like that?

And Chris, you are completely right about the sabre-fighting stuff.

please, I ask everyone against this Rebellion to attend a meeting and see what we're really about before blindly critisizing.

23. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

May 27, 2001
    We sat around at VG not doing much of anything because none of you came up with ideas as asked of you. What is is that you wanted to be doing? You should have said lets do this, and then done it. You should been more involved. I asked and asked everyone to speak up, but nothing. I asked what would you like to do at meetings not to long ago, again and still nothing. That's what happened as far as I am concerned. No one ever spoke up they just waited and waited and then acted later. Just like always.

24. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

May 27, 2001
    As long as discussions and activities directly related to Star Wars and Star Wars Fandom are involved I will attend meetings. If to much discussion about things such as non official star wars movie making or selling hot dogs is involved I will not last long. Its a free country, you can do what you like. I just will not be around for it. I think it has no business at a SW club meeting. Members who wish to do so should coordinate together out side all meetings for such things.

25. Paul_B

Jun 27, 2001
    One last time...

There is a new/revitalized fan club in the Rochester area called The Rebellion. We meet at The Spot coffee house every couple of weeks. Anyone is more than welcome to attend the meetings.

The GRASWFC remains as it always was (aside from having a much smaller membership now). If that club still chooses to meet every last weekend of the month at VGS... so be it. I am no longer involved with that club.

For those who prefer not associate with any fan club in the area... these forums are open to you and will remain an area where you may discuss collecting SW merchandise, past and upcoming SW movies, books, comics, toys, etc. Nothing will have changed for those folks aside from the new banner at the top of page.

The reason(s) for the forming of The Rebellion have been stated MANY times in this forum throughout various threads. If you take the time to read the topics, it should be apparently clear to everyone why The Rebellion exists and what it's intentions are.

I will no longer be addressing the "political" issues that obviously exist between the two clubs. If anyone has a problem with why the Rochester Fan Force chapter is now under the Rebellion banner... might I suggest contacting strawbary (the NE Fan Force RSA). She's very knowledgable about the Fan Force requirements and can answer FF related questions better than I can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.