main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

An Anthem Deferred

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by The Musical Jedi, Apr 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    An exceptional rain fell on the surface of Coruscant as figures hurried through the weather towards their personal destinations. Groups of people moved across the walkways, many moving to find shelter from the rain. It fell in droves, fury making up for infrequency. One person walked alone, however, her face hidden in the cowl of her outer robe. She ignored the rain, walking at a leisurely pace on the damp walkway.

She continued across, making her way carefully although swiftly. It wasn?t long before she crossed the invisible boundary marking the difference between the Senatorial sector of Coruscant and a seedier district. The ones close to the presence of the Senate were nicer that the ones across the planet, although none had the high-price glamour of the area dominated by the Senate. The Jedi Temple was located near the Senatorial district, its tall spires showing their own majesty in the skyline. It dominated that area, however dwarfed by the buildings housing the galactic government.

The wind moved the rain almost horizontal, and it caught the cowl of the woman?s robe, blowing it away from her face. Her shoulder-length dark hair was buffeted by the wind, although she paid little attention to it. Intense green eyes peered intelligently between the strands of hair. Her slim frame was outlined by the fabric of the robe, revealing rather plain, unadorned clothes beneath.

A few minutes of walking brought her in front of a building where she pulled open the door against the wind, hurrying inside as it slammed shut with extra force. She gave her head a quick shake, her hair falling haphazardly away from her face. The young woman walked across the small lobby to address a small humanoid behind the desk. The humanoid looked annoyed and barked, ?State your business.?

?My name is Raven Darkfeather, and I?m here to meet a relative of mine,? the young woman replied, looking bored with the protocol. The humanoid nodded, indicating a hallway and giving her a room number. As Raven moved away, a look of mild disgust crossed her features. Common courtesy wasn?t so expensive that it couldn?t be afforded even in this sector of Coruscant.

She entered the room that she was indicated, finding only an older man wearing pants with the Corellian blood stripe down the legs and a loose tunic. ?I thought you would be earlier,? he said, his tone revealing his mild irritation.

Raven shrugged indifferently. ?If you wouldn?t make the pick-up points in rather public places, especially in the Senatorial sector, you might find me a little more prompt,? she retorted lightly. ?However, I am not late. If you are unhappy with my services, find yourself another runner.? She produced a small data chip from a pouch that hung on her belt, offering it to the Corellian.

He took it, handing her a credit chip in return as he snorted scornfully. ?You are the best runner I have ever encountered. I won?t dismiss you on the grounds of you almost being late. Your talents at remaining anonymous are key to the distribution of information I find both important and private.?

Inclining her head slightly in suggestion of a bow, she took the credit chip. ?You know how to contact me should you require my particular talents again,? she replied, a hint of amusement on her face. Raven turned and exited the room, leaving with silent footsteps.

2. jedi7

jedi7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    Ummmm, intrigue, more please :) 7

3. Abbi_Cee

Abbi_Cee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2000
    Oh nice start. Looks like lots of intrigue. More? :)

4. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Intrigue is good, eh? ;) Probably tomorrow I'll have the next post up. Good to see you two in here! Thanks for upping it! :D

5. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Gr-Adm-Thrawn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2002
    Musical Jedi All right ! new fic ! Runners - intrigue .. I love it !

Wonderful to know you've got a new baby started !

UP

the Admiral

6. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Hey, Admiral! Thanks for dropping by! :) Yeah, it's my hand at intrigue instead of just emotional, internal conflict plots. ;) Here you all go, before I have to go to school and be assimilated into society. *makes a face*
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The brief squall had stopped by the time Raven exited the nondescript building. Gray clouds still hung low in the air, which was moist and warm from the storm. She left the hood of her cloak down as she began moving down the walkway towards the closest transport station.

The station was crowded, full of different species, some conversing in low tones and a myriad of languages on the platform. Slowly, she threaded her way to the transport that would take her across the planet, to one of the more dubious districts on Coruscant. No one took notice of the dark-haired woman.

Her ride was uneventful, despite the fact she spent it standing up. When the transport stopped at her location, she slipped away in the sparse crowd, paying no attention to the raised eyebrows from the wealthier passengers. It didn?t take strong senses to tell that they felt superior to anyone who would get off in the area of the capital planet.

A few blocks from the transport stop, a large group of people had gathered. An older man stood on a small, temporary platform. He was expounding on the greed and evils of the Senate politicians and the various elements within its entourage. His shouts were filled with accusations of the corruption within the government. As he stormed on top of his platform, he complained that instead of being concerned with their home planets and systems, many of the politicians found little interesting beyond increasing their power and the number of credits within their accounts.

Raven moved along the perimeter of the group, smiling faintly at the man?s audacity. Any diplomat would be angered by his speech, especially the truthful examples he cited. She had little love lost for politicians, especially the breed the status of senator in the Galactic Senate attracted. The Republic was slowly being distorted from within, its focus moving from governing to greed. Still, inviting attention by voicing such views was dangerous to her. Raven had her own methods of fighting those transgressions.

She was almost beyond the crowd when someone grabbed her arm painfully. Raven whirled, her hackles rising at the affront. A member of the Coruscant Security, Diplomatic Corps, grinned back at her insolently. He had a data pad and light pen tucked in one hand. His blue eyes had a feral look as he continued to smirk. ?What have we here?? he said amused, his voice slick.

?Shove off,? Raven replied harshly, yanking her arm from his grasp. The man clucked his tongue chidingly, gently fingering the lavender armband indicating his status as he put away his data pad and pen. He moved in front of her, blocking her path.

?That?s no way to speak to a member of the CorSec, especially one under the command of the senator from Corellia,? he replied smoothly, making it obvious she wouldn?t get past without making a scene.

?Are you taking notes for Boeta?? she replied in return. ?I knew he was too indolent to do his own dirty work.?

The guard sneered at the taunt. ?If you were to join our ranks and run for us, you might find the benefits of working for one as influential as Senator Boeta. Your assets will be well appreciated,? he added, giving a cursory, corporeal glance to her.

Raven?s hand strayed to the lightsaber clipped to her hip. The guard followed the movement, his face contorting into a wicked grin. ?That?s is, strike me down. Your precious Temple won?t come to your defense. I know your past. Boeta would crucify you for it and slaughter the Temple?s image for allowing a rogue like you to walk away from them unwatched.?

She slipped past him instead, allowing her frustration to dissipate in to the Force, her frustration at allowing her anger to control her actions to that extent and losing her focus. The guards shouldn?t have riled her up that muc

7. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Oooh! Oooh! Intrigue! I like it already! And I like Raven, too! A rogue who walked away from the Jedi Temple? Doing her "running" while carrying a lightsaber, and who refuses to become Boeta's lover? YES! Can't wait to see where this is going.

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Yup, intriguing is the right word. So Raven's a former Jedi who left the Temple??? Interesting that she still carries a lightsaber.

Wonderful to see another thread from you Musical!! :) :)

Post soon, post often.

9. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    *laughs* I have to write before I can post soon, post often. I have to warn you, my poor readers, that I've never done intrigue before, so enlighten me if I do anything completely out of line, or things don't seem to be making sense. I'm trying to be capable of tying everything together, but we'll see how it goes. ;)

More tomorrow, perhaps. I'm not really sure. :D

10. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Jan 1, 2002
    Musical jedi NEVER done intrigue before ! wow, you could have tricked me any day ! this fic is really good.

UP !

the Admiral

11. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    *laughs* Perhaps the praise ought to be saved until the end, when we see if it makes sense. ;) Not that I don't enjoy it. :D Here's a nice long one.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Raven entered a rather dilapidated structure about a five-minute walk from the rally on the walkway. She was lost in thought as she made the short journey across the lobby to the lifts, setting it to go to the highest floor. Unlike most buildings on Coruscant, the disrepair didn?t lesser the farther up in the building one went. It was continuous throughout, a rather depressing place.

The lift chimed, and she exited to be nearly bowled over by a small girl racing in the hallway. ?You can?t catch me!? she shrieked to the older boy farther down the hall. The boy whooped and gave chase for a short distance then stopped to greet Raven.

?Ash! You?re back! Where did you go?? he queried, latching on to one of her legs.

Raven smiled gently, extracting him from her extremity. ?I had some errands to run, Copelan,? she replied. ?I had to go all the way to the Senate sector.? The little girl had appeared next to her brother, her blue eyes wide. Her longer hair was a dirty blond, pulled back into a messy ponytail. She was about four years old and grinned to reveal two missing teeth on her lower jaw.

He glared at her slightly, his gray eyes blazing in an older sibling?s fury as she pushed towards Raven. Copelan C?xon was about six, his cropped hair a muted red, taking after his father. He crossed his arms in annoyance. Both children wore well-worn clothes, fraying around the edges. Raven stooped down, producing two small wind-up toys from a pouch on her belt, the cheap kind that could be bought from street vendors. ?Here, I brought these for you,? she told them, smiling again at their elation.

?Mama!? the girl, Nara, cried, rushing into the open door on the hallway. Copelan followed at a more sedate rate, though excitement gleamed in his eyes. Raven brought up the rear of the small entourage, peering in the doorway.

A toddler, another boy, watched from the floor as his siblings charged the blond woman standing in the meager kitchen of the apartment. The woman was relatively young with blond hair and blue eyes. She was short in stature, especially compared to the taller Raven. The two were essentially opposites except for their slime frames, although Availle?s was beginning to thicken around the middle, an indication of another child on its way.

The apartment reflected the shabbiness of the children?s clothes, well cared for if threadbare. It had a small living room with a few couches. The bedrooms were off a back hallway, a master room for the parents, one for the toddler and Copelan, and the other for Nara. All were small, however, with little room for much beyond a closet and a sleep couch. However, love suffused the small living area.

Raven picked up the toddler, Lian by name, and crossed the living room into the kitchen. Ava C?xon looked at him with a loving smile then gave one to Raven. ?You didn?t have to get them something,? she informed the taller woman good-naturedly.

Giving Ava a shrug, Raven tickled Lian?s belly, coaxing a smile from him. ?I know I didn?t,? she replied, ?but I wanted to get them something to brighten their day. Besides, it will keep them occupied for a while.? As if to underscore her comment, the two older children were making noises comparable to fighters or other kinds of spacecraft.

Ava?s eyes darkened for a moment. ?Not much money for new things,? she conceded, giving her ample stomach a reflexive brush. ?Especially not now.? She shook her head, looking sad for a moment.

Raven considered, watching Copelan and Nara play in the living room for a moment. She sighed, shaking her dark head. Carefully, she set Lian down with his brother and sister, returning to the kitchen. ?How soon?? she asked quietly.

?Only three more months,? Ava replied, washing vegetables for their dinner. There was no meat for this meal, as there had not been for many. ?I don?t know what w

12. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Dane? I think I remember a Dane from your other story--or was that Dene? Nope, never mind, then. Hmm. More questions! They refer to her as Ash, but she calls herself Raven? Ava is her complete opposite--they could be sisters, but I didn't get that feeling. So, Raven does dangerous stuff, earns good money in what she considers to be honest hard work, and feels obliged to help this family. The clues are stacking up!

13. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    *grins* Jane, you have a better memory about my characters than I do! If the names are the same, it's only a coincidence brought about by personal preferences of variations upon certain names. For instance, Dane is the person who first introduced me to these boards! :) Because it's a slow Saturday, I've had plenty of time to write. Here's another post. :D
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Raven walked into her dark apartment, swinging the door closed behind her and activating the lights. She took off her cloak and hung it on a peg by the door. With a quiet sigh, she crossed the small room. Data pads lay scattered on the table, a wealth of unorganized information. Pulling out a small data pad from a pouch on her belt, she withdrew a chip from it and set it amidst the mess. The table was situated between the wall filled with storage areas supporting the next level of apartment and the bar separating the small living area from the kitchen. Opposite the small kitchen was a door leading to the refresher.

The rest of her apartment was very small. It was constructed into two half floors with a small ledge to function as a bunk. Her door was located under the staircase to the second floor, which had a couple of worn leather couches and a table. It also had a large, floor-to-ceiling picture window that viewed the Senatorial sector of Coruscant. In the distance, the Galactic Senate building and the Jedi Temple spires were visible. The corner of that room had a small communications station with a holoprojector, functioning as a method of giving news and vids from the local channels, as well as storing data and making calls. A small ladder stood in the corner, above the door on the floor below, leading to her bunk, where a pillow and thick comforter lay strewn on the bed, unmade.

Raven frowned, pulling off her boots and going up the open stairs to the next level. She paused for a moment, looking out over the endless cityscape that was beyond her small home. Usually, she jokingly referred to the apartment as a loft; it tended to be warm during the summer months and cold during the winter. These extremities in temperature didn?t both Raven much, although the building?s truculent climate systems and other idiosyncrasies were know to cause other residents, such as the C?xons, difficulties.

A small blinking light on the comm caught Raven?s eye, drawing her away from the window. It indicated that she had a new message from her afternoon away. ?Play message,? she told the machine, dividing her attention between it and the view. Something bothered her, tugging at the edge of her awareness, although she couldn?t tell, either from her own deductions or the Force, what the slight disturbance was.

A young man with sandy hair appeared, dressed in common clothes, looking a little strained ?Raven,? it said, the baritone voice placing the person as a middle-aged male, ?I need to do me a favor. I need you to pick up my daughter at her school. I will be at work late. Thanks.? Then, the figured winked out.

Raven tore her gaze from the skyline, approaching the station. She located where the message had been stored on her system and, fingers flying across the keyboard, accessed the information encoded within the visual message itself. It was a relatively safe method of keeping secret information as such. The message was from one of her clients, one Wai S?rmen. He needed something, his ?daughter,? run from an office within the Bespin embassy to another location on the other side of the Senatorial sector. She sighed. The poor lackey of S?rmen seemed very tight and concerned. It must be a very important transfer.

She copied her specifics onto a chip, put it in one of the compartments on her belt, and then erased the message and all indications of its previous presence on her system. It would be unfortunate, however unlikely, if someone were to search her system for her runner activities. Most of the information she carried pertained to illegal activities, besides the fact that running in and of itself w

14. Abbi_Cee

Abbi_Cee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2000
    Wow, so many great posts. I need to go away for the day more often. :) I'm a big fan of suspenseful intrigue stories (Iris Johansen is a fav of mine) and I like how your new story is going. I can't wait to read more. :)

15. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Jan 1, 2002
    Keep it up ! keep it up !

the Admiral

16. jedi7

Jan 8, 2002
  17. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Actually, I just thought "that name sounds familiar" and then I had to go look it up for my own peace of mind. :) What's so important to Wai? Can't wait to find out! Good description of the apartment. It was sad, though, to see that Raven had once been a padawan with a master before going rogue. The musical instrument was a nice touch, though.

18. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    *grins evilly* This is shaping up very well... :D
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A knock came on her doorway some time later. Raven put aside her ratiuar and walked down the short flight of stairs to answer it. A taller, young man with dusty blond hair stood in the doorway, shifting his weight as though he were nervous. Raven smiled and moved aside, gesturing inside. ?Hello, Dane. Ava told me I would see you.?

Dane moved within the room, and Raven shut the door quietly. He had his hands shoved deep in his pockets while the look on his face showed his distress. ?I can?t take your money,? he said finally.

?You?re not taking my money. I gave it to you of my own free will. Consider it a return of the favor when you got me back on my feet. If you hadn?t befriended me when I first came to this sector, I would probably be dead or starving.? Raven countered softly, crossing her arms. This was a familiar argument, one with the lines already drawn in the sand.

?It may not be safe. I know it will buy food, money, and new clothes for the kids, but what if someone tracks it? Then we?d be in trouble. I can?t do that to them. I can?t do that to Ava. We have enough problems as it is,? he sighed.

Raven shrugged. ?It can?t be traced. You have Republican credits right there. No strings attached, no vouchers for the rest of the money later. I won?t deny that sometimes my payments can be suspicious, but I?ve never handed that money to you. That stays with me. You know I?m a runner. You?ve seen me near the Alderaanian office, picking up or dropping off things. But I don?t run for dangerous or corrupt groups, like the gangs who sell spices or weapons. This is mostly information or packages that are essentially harmless, such as flimsy documents or things of personal value. It may be illegal, but I run honestly. I wouldn?t knowingly do anything to hurt your family. They are as much of a family I?ll ever have because of all you?ve done for me. Take the credits. If not for me, then take them for Ava. With the baby coming soon, you?ll need more money than ever.?

He shook his head angrily, and Raven could see tears glistening at the corners of Dane?s eyes. She walked over and placed a hand on his shoulder. Immediately, he brushed it off, moving out of reach and ignoring her wounded look. ?Give me time to think,? he said finally. ?I don?t want to bring danger??

Raven spread her hands apart in a gesture of placation. ?Knowingly, I would never do that. And you know it.? Dane looked torn, and she knew that it was a hard decision for him to possibly put his family into jeopardy, not matter how remote that possibility might be. Long moments passed until he finally nodded assent albeit begrudgingly. She gave him a relieved look, as he disappeared back into the hall.

She let out a breath, not realizing she had been holding it while he was contemplating. Raven moved to her table and sat in a chair. She began to sift through the cards, trying to organize them into a way that made sense. The rogue was sure that she had nearly all the information, but she couldn?t piece it together correctly. That concerned her, because her instincts, however hesitantly, were beginning to warn her that time was running out.

19. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Where is everyone? :(
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The sun was peering over the horizon as a few people began to filter onto the levels of Coruscant. The streets were still relatively empty as Raven made her way along one of the higher-level walkways. She glanced around, wary. It was abnormal for S?rmen to ask for a pick-up and drop in this crowded, as well as recognized, of an area. She was near the district where the embassies for the Senate were located, a place even more extravagant than the general region of the political sector.

Raven slipped into an alley between two massive buildings, dark from the maintenance level that was overhead. She began to sift through the pouches on her belt. With a frown, she passed over the lightsaber clipped to her belt, finally locating a set of lock picks in a dog-eared leather case, making one last check that she had everything. Despite the fact she was no longer a Jedi, she still carried her weapon and tried to stay close to their ideals. The picks were also rather odd for her, since the Force made it possible to manipulate the mechanisms within an old lock easily. However, she was wary of other Jedi noticing such an action. Besides, it made more sense to an observer, given she preferred her history as private as possible.

Walking the length of the alley, she cautiously stood at the gap, closing her eyes to reach out with her senses. A small disturbance rippled through the Force, but she thought little of it. A morning where there wasn?t some tremor of agitation was one she hadn?t experienced since she?d could remember and reach out with the Force.

Taking a deep, steadying breath, she reviewed a mental picture of the area, pinpointing the old door leading, after a maze of stairways, to the room containing the data chip she needed. Then, she darted out, beginning to make her way swiftly down the street. Raven only made it a few steps when a young man, running hastily down the walkway, ran into her. They both fell heavily to the ground. Immediately, he rolled to the side, freeing her and jumping to his feet. He offered her a hand to get up when she saw the Coruscant Security forces running after him, the corps assigned to protecting diplomats? interests.

Using his offer to get back on her feet, Raven signaled him to remain silent, leading him back into the alley. Frustration welled within her because she didn?t have time for this. However, another opportunity to make her attempt would surface. Most likely, this man had done very little to irritate the CorSec, but they would hunt him with dogged perseverance for merely wounding their pride. The CorSec, especially the diplomatic lackeys, were arrogant and intrusive. Raven would rather save this man?s hide and foil her own plot than gratify them with his capture. Besides, with the corps afoot, she would be hard-pressed to accomplish her pick-up anyway.

She swung herself up onto a ladder leading to the maintenance level, reaching for her lock picks in the process. The man was still following her, his face blank, showing neither gratitude nor concern. Raven reached the small door leading to the area and yanked one of the lock picks out of the case still in her hand with her teeth. Shoving her cloak out of the way, she impatiently replaced the case in its holder on her belt, missing the interested look that passed through the man?s gray-blue eyes at the sight of her lightsaber. She jammed the pick into the lock, listening carefully as she twisted it. The Force aided her in finding the right twist to the pick, since time was lacking to do the more traditional approach, and the door was open. They disappeared into the maintenance area as the CorSec flooded the alley, shutting the door quietly with the corps oblivious.

20. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    I can't believe I'm falling behind already! Sorry! I was working on my own fic last night and then I went to bed early.

There was something I didn't understand about the post where Dane comes to visit. After he leaves, Raven goes to a chair and begins "to sift through the cards". What cards? There was no previous mention of any cards. She's sure she has all the information, but there's no previous mention of that, either. I felt confused when I read this, as though I was expected to know what this was all about, as though a scene were missing where the cards were described. But the previous scene has Raven playing her ratiuar as a kind of musical meditation. If the cards point to something that will be revealed later, then I think they should be described a little, at the very least as "the cards that she'd been looking at before she went out" or something like that.

Ooh, dear, I hope I'm not being too picky. Just tell me to disengage "beta" modus.

This last post was tense! I hope she had that chip safely stowed away when she ran into the young man. I was almost afraid that he would have knocked it out of her grip, maybe even by design instead of accident. A disturbance in the Force? This sounds ominous. And this young man, who just happens to be on the run from CorSec, has now seen her lightsaber ... hmm. I liked the way Raven used the lock picks the first time instead of the Force so as not to broadcast her presence.

Very interesting!

21. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    No, beta mode is fine. ;) Finding flaws makes me capable of writing better, which makes all involved happy! Anyway, about the cards, I was unclear. In the first paragraph of that post, there is one little sentence that reads: Data pads lay scattered on the table, a wealth of unorganized information. I should have either called them pads in the later reference or called them cards in the first. [face_blush] My apologies. As for the information they contain, that is a reference for later. :)

Glad you like! And if you fall behind because you are working on your own fic, that is fine by me because I look forward to reading it very much!

22. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Jan 1, 2002
    Woaw ! 2 posts !

Loved them !

way to go Musical Jedi

the Admiral.

23. jedi7

Jan 8, 2002
    Loved the posts MJ. :) 7

24. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Blaaaa-laaaah.... I can't think any more.... I just finished translating and doing excercises for two Spanish stories, made a poster for Psych (I sooooo can't draw ;) ), and still have physics to do. All of this is because I will be gone tomorrow through Sunday. I do promise at least one post before then though. Hopefully two, if I can scrounge enough brain cells together to write another post. :) Missing school is sooo good.... and soooo bad...

25. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Jan 1, 2002
    :D soooo good and sooo bad :D amen to that ! well anyways take some rest then - let those neurones cool down a little.

the Admiral

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.