main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

An Anthem Deferred

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by The Musical Jedi, Apr 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Raven can trust Joshua, but can he trust her? Will they be able to meet up again afterwards, or will that Corellian interfere somehow? And what if Joshua's intinerary coincides with Raven's? I can't wait to find out more!

2. jedi7

jedi7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
  3. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    Augh... Thanks for the responses. I'm glad this story is causing so much speculation! Sorry this is up so late today, but I feel horrible. It shouldn't hurt to cough. :(
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Joshua waited in the alley, alone with his thoughts. He hadn?t missed her surprise when he?d asked to accompany her, however, he suspected that the reasons she assigned to the question were actually quite different. Something about her bothered him, the way she moved, the way she dealt with other people. For some reason, she was staying close to the ground, and his instincts told him it wasn?t just because of her occupation. He was wary of her, even though he yet really had no reason to be, and he preferred to stay close so he could keep an eye on her. The Force whispered that she was important, somehow.

When he estimated that she had had enough time, he moved to check out the street. When he peered around the corner, Raven ? Ash? ? was standing there, talking quietly with the guards, looking none too happy. Taking a deep breath, he found his center in the Force, and then he walked out onto the street, trying his best not to attract attention.

He felt the gaze of the two guards flicker to him, as well as Raven?s, all cursory glances. Joshua couldn?t hear what they were saying, but he assumed that that was superficial as well. He mused on his mission, to find if there was body to rumors that a senator was attempting to assassinate a speaker against the corruption in the Senate, when their discussion caught his attention.

??Rogue Jedi, then levitate yourself or something else!? the Corellian laughed at Raven. Her cheeks bloomed a bright red, but she remained there. ?If your precious Temple didn?t respect you, then why should we?? he added. The two guards laughed over something else, and Raven made what must have been a quiet retort, because the last thing Joshua heard before he moved out of range was, ?No wonder the Jedi kicked you out.?

Joshua felt betrayed. Suddenly it all made sense, her secrecy and mannerisms. Had she really been kicked out of the Order, or was it some kind of cruel joke? Perhaps that was why she ran drops and pick-ups. She seemed nice enough, and he instinctively felt he could trust her, even though she had distorted the truth of her name. Somehow, he knew that at some point she must have been a Jedi. That was the only reason she could have placed him so easily. It made a disturbing amount of sense; she had the resourcefulness of a Jedi, the instincts, the carriage. She looked the part of a Jedi warrior and in fact carried her lightsaber still. That made sense of his earlier observation. Raven had saved him from the wrath of the Coruscant Security, although he didn?t know why. But she was still a rogue.

The word tasted bitter within his mind as he unlocked the door and went inside. The staircase led up to the hallway, and he successfully navigated his way to the room with the data pad. It surprised him how easy it was to pick it up and leave. Somehow, he had expected more of a challenge from this line of work. However, he was glad for the ease of the task. He had given his word, she could trust him, in this at least. Still, he needed to think of some way to confront her on this. She was a rogue! She?d left the Temple! Joshua mused that the answer to her question, could she trust him, now all hinged on her answer to his: Why did she leave the Temple?

4. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Uh oh! Do I see a snap judgement here? Joshua feels betrayed? He thinks: She's a rogue! She left the Temple!

It's good that he's asking why, though.

I wonder how the CorSec guy knew Raven's little "secret". And she must really be desperate to make that run, if she volunteered to go over and distract him, knowing that he might rub her nose in it like that.

Hope you feel well soon! It should -not- hurt to cough! Go see your local Healer -- I mean -- doctor.

5. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I agree with Jane about Qui making a snap judgement, though I'm surprised the idea didn't come to him sooner. And I have a bad feeling about how easy it was to retrieve the data pad.

Awesome post MJ!! :) :)

6. Abbi_Cee

Abbi_Cee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2000
    So now Qui-Gon knows that Raven used to be a Jedi. I'm surprised he feels betrayed though, I mean he's not exactly been forth coming either. If she hadn't of called him on being a Jedi would he have told her? Still, he's young, not to mention cute, I guess we can cut him a little bit of slack. ;)

7. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    ;) I think it's a reasonable reaction. Similar to a military officer's response to a defector. Anyway, I haven't had any time to write today, so I'll probably get something up midday tomorrow. Plus, I want to go visit the Indy Knights at the Art of the Starfigher at the local children's museum. :D And in other news, I did go to the doctor because there was the possibility I have strep. Fortunately, that was not the case, although it is an upper respiratory infection. Yeha. So, I'm on allergy meds for my drainage. *laughs* What fun.

8. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Gr-Adm-Thrawn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2002
    careful now ! get well soon !

the Admiral

9. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Sorry, no post again today. :( I've spent most of the day on my bed, slumbering away. However, things are looking up. My temperature (I hope!) has broken, being down to 100.2 from 102.1. :D So, I'm going to bed and hopefully I'll have something up for you tomorrow. Sorry again for the delays. I can't remember the last time I went to bed when the clock read nine anything...

10. jedi7

Jan 8, 2002
    jedi7 sends tendrils of healing force energy to Musical ~~~~~~~~~~~~ :) :)

11. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    You'll soon be feeling better! I've just spoken to Master Healer An-Paj and he's on his way to dispense healing and strength through the Force. Wife #6 is also bringing a very large cauldron of chicken soup, just in case.

12. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Thank you for all the kind thoughts! :) Life is better now, and antibiotics are good things. ;)
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

All was going according to plan, at least as far as Raven knew. She had distracted the guards long enough for Joshua to disappear into the building. She made sure it keep them talking, or perhaps roasting her was a better way to think of it, some time past his departure from the street so they didn?t connect the two.

The only hitch was the fact she ran into another morality discussion on her way to the rendezvous point. This one was being conducted by a very young man, one who was perhaps not even twenty. He spoke vehemently on the bureaucracy and corruption of the Senate and swore that someday he would take office and try to change that. Raven recognized him from her own personal studies. His name was Finis Valorum, the son of a rather powerful senator from a cluster of stars. That family had a long history of political attachments, and Raven had few doubts that he would someday hold a position that would allow him to make good on his current promises, if he bothered to remember them.

The Rogue rounded the next corner, at the intersection where she had told Joshua to meet her, when suddenly she found herself pinned to a building wall, the air knocked out of her. Joshua stood before her, hand slightly outstretched. Raven was confused but remained calm. She was held against the wall by the Force, and she didn?t struggle against it. Instead, she worked to exude serenity.

?Why did you tell me you were a rogue?? Joshua demanded loudly. The few people in the street glanced their direction, more attention that Raven didn?t particularly want. She had regained her breath, but she didn?t like the irate way he was looking at her. Her mind raced, wondering what was so important that he would lose even the Jedi calm over this. Rogues were not completely uncommon.

?There will be a time and a place for such questions,? she replied, ?but this is neither. We have a task to accomplish, and then I will answer your questions.?

He glared at Raven. ?I trusted you.?

?Why don?t you still? I haven?t done anything differently. I promise on the Oaths I took to become a Jedi Knight that I will answer your questions when we get back to my loft. But first we have to visit S?rmen. All right?? She looked at him almost pleadingly. He had to understand.

Joshua stepped back and dropped his hand, and Raven felt the pressure against her slack away. He handed her the data pad then turned away. ?What are you carrying?? he asked instead, still looking annoyed.

Raven gave him a relieved glance that he didn?t see, walking stiffly ahead of her. She activated the pad and skimmed the information on it. It was encoded, but the code was one of his she had already broken. Although she trusted S?rmen, she still felt justified in reading his information, whether to add to her own files or just know what she was carrying. ?It really is about his daughter,? she explained. ?He?s worried for her safety, and it?s an update from her ship. She?s a smuggler for him, trying to avoid the high tariffs imposed by the Trade Federation. It describes her last run and the bombing of her ship. He must have gotten word that the ship was destroyed, but his daughter is all right.?

Suddenly, that made a little more sense. Perhaps he was concerned about what kind of illegal activity in which he was involving himself. If she were a Dark Jedi, he might have been carrying the orders that would bring about another Jedi?s death or something along those lines. Still, this was rather innocent business as far as illegal activities went. Perhaps that prompted his outburst.

Joshua nodded.

They walked the rest of the way in silence, each left to his own thoughts. The drop was uneventful, except for the fact a grateful S?rmen gave Raven an extra bonus for her timely delivery, indicated that he was more worried than Raven suspected. Joshua waited on the street, watching as night began to fall on this side of the

13. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Jan 1, 2002
    great great great ! so Raven promises Joshua some answers .. can you promise you'll post them soon ?
    :)

the Admiral

14. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Ooh, nice cameo appearance by Valorum! Will we be seeing more of him later? I thought Joshua's reaction was a little harsh, Force-holding her against the wall like that, but it made Raven's struggle for serenity speak all the more in her favour.

Hmm, is this situation with S'rmen, his daughter, her ship, and the Trade Federation mixed up somehow with Senator Boeta from page one? I find it interesting that Raven reads all the stuff she carries, and makes files on it. Is she really just a runner? Not an agent, perhaps, someone deep undercover? And what is Joshua's agenda in all this? More soon, please!

15. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Oohh, I agree with Jane about Valorum's cameo. I especially liked "Raven had few doubts that he would someday hold a position that would allow him to make good on his current promises, if he bothered to remember them."

I find it interesting that Raven, a supposed rogue Jedi used "I promise on the Oaths I took to become a Jedi Knight that I will answer your questions when we get back to my loft." and that Joshua took it for face value.

Excellent post Musical!!

16. jedi7

Jan 8, 2002
  17. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Trust is a hard thing to explain. ;)
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

?Why didn?t you tell me you were a rogue Jedi??

Raven and Joshua hadn?t even made it all the way in the door before he asked his question again. She could tell it was burning within him, the desire to know every reason behind her decision.

Calmly she went into her small kitchen, taking a small pitcher out of the fridge. Raven produced two mugs, pouring brown, pleasant-smelling liquid from the pitcher. She put the two mugs on heating elements then looked across the bar to where Joshua stood, waiting with an un-Jedi-like impatience for his answer. Raven smiled slightly. ?Did you learn patience at the Temple?? she asked, waving away his response. ?I didn?t tell you because it?s not something that would be safe for a number of people to know. Besides, you, being a Jedi, become a kind of risk to me, depending on your opinion of rogues in general. Next question??

Raven put a finger in one of the mugs. She removed it, nodding satisfactorily, and handed the other mug to Joshua, turning off the heating elements. ?It?s a drink called a Dantooine mudslide,? she explained, cutting off the question before he could ask. ?Normally it has rum in it, but I forewent the alcohol for obvious reasons. A lucid conversation would be beneficial. I have a few questions of my own,? she said, an amused smile playing across her lips. Joshua followed her up the steps where they settled on the larger couch. Raven sat with her legs drawn up under her, facing him with her back to the armrest. He sat, partially facing her, still retaining some kind of decorum.

?Why did you leave?? he finally asked, taking a sip of the drink. It had a rich, chocolaty taste with hints of vanilla and other flavors he couldn?t identify. The drink was very tasty, though.

?That?s a more difficult story,? she replied, taking a deep draught from her mug. ?I have many problems with the way the Temple functions. I don?t like how it is essentially an arm of the Senate. Jedi are at the beck and call of corrupt politicians, and there is nothing they can do about it. The Temple has become a branch of the Diplomatic Corps, solving petty problems that ought to be left to Senatorial aides. Since the Galactic Senate is bureaucratic and fraudulent, it?s only a matter of time before the Jedi lose their respect. I can?t agree with the Council?s decisions on missions and political entanglements. Often, the right thing to do in a situation must be foregone for political reasons. Now I get a question. What is your mission??

Raven didn?t miss his uncomfortable shift. ?A request that rumors threatening an assassination of a political speaker brought me here. It?s rather ambiguous.? He took another drink from his mug to hide his discomfort. Raven considered a moment, debating whether the discomfort was feigned due to his reluctance to share his own information. If it was, she decided to let it go. His secrets were his own, as were hers, and she herself hadn?t been exactly forthcoming with details.

With a shake of her head, the rogue stood, walked down the stairs, and surveyed the mess of data cards. She perused them, selected one, and returned to the couch. Raven handed him the card. He glanced at it, confusion on his features for a moment. ?I don?t understand,? Joshua said finally.

?It?s unfortunate how unhelpful the Council is. This is information that is possibly linked to your investigation. I?ve been monitoring one of the senator?s movements, and he, as do a number of his men, listens to political speakers. Many of the cards on my table may contain information on your mission,? she replied wryly. ?The speaker who probably is in danger is named Finis Valorum. His father is the senator of a small cluster of planets near Corellia and has many enemies within the Senate. Finis himself hasn?t made any friends by speaking out against the government.?

?How did you find all of this out?? he said, his voice soft and reflective. Raven smiled, seeing the th

18. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Jan 1, 2002
    :D oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes ! oh Yes !

:D

I LIKED THAT POST !

the Admiral

19. DarthLothi

DarthLothi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 4, 2001
    Hi, Musical Jedi!

I clicked on this story randomly this morning and got drawn in very quickly. This is the first pre-JA story I've read and I'm really enjoying it. Ash/Raven is quite an interesting character and I'm anxious to see where you go with this.

20. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    I agree GAT! I loved how it ended with Qui-Gon finally giving his name. :D :D

Of course we all understand how the corruption of the Republic will affect the Jedi Order and it now, suddenly made me wonder what happened to all the Jedi that may have left the Order before the final purge... hmmmmm

Fabulous post Musical!! :) :)

21. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Valorum's life may be in danger? And Boeta may be involved? Oh, boy! I loved Raven's reasoning that the Galactic Senate was corrupt and dragging the Jedi down with it. And the way she freely shared information with Qui-Gon, only to have the feeling later that he wasn't as trusting as she'd hoped. But then, that last sentence, hurrah!

Yum, that Dantooine Mudslide does sound tasty!

22. Abbi_Cee

Abbi_Cee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2000
    Oh wonderful, I'm glad Qui-Gon came through in the end. :) So this must be where Qui-Gon and Vallorum first meet. I liked Raven's reason's for leaving the Jedi and wonder that the council can't see what is happening, or do they know, but feel their hands are tied?

23. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Okay, I have a formality question that I think I already know the answer to. In subsequent posts, would you like Qui-Gon to be called as such, like in narration? I'm guessing the response will be yes, but I don't want to lose anyone in the story. I'll have the next post up soon after I get a few responses for a consensus.

I would imagine the Council would feel a little trapped and couldn't do anything except continue to be honorable, though that doesn't really figure into this story... Hmmmm... Plot bunny. Anyway, I'm not sure what I think would happen to people who had left the Order in the Purge. I can't wait for Episode II or III. I'm also curious how (I'm assuming) Anakin tracks down every single Jedi in the galaxy except Obi-Wan and Yoda. That must have taken no small amount of paperwork!

Welcome, DarthLothi! :) I'm glad you randomly picked my thread.

24. Admiral_Lelila

Admiral_Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2001
    I downloaded this story yesterday and I haven't finished catching up with the latest post. It is intriguing!!!! Your plot development is very intricate. IMO it belongs in the "Tales from the Old Republic" I hope to be on the 'same page' by tomorrow night. [face_mischief]

25. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Hail, Admiral_Lelila! I hope you are on the same page by today as well! :) Two new readers in twenty-four hours! I should hope to always be so lucky! :D

So, do the rest of you not have any opinions for names?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.