main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

An Anthem Deferred

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by The Musical Jedi, Apr 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Gr-Adm-Thrawn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2002
    Alright !

some action coming up !

blaster with silencers ! I love the espionnage this fic has !

the Admiral

FYI : Posted a small fic on the silent thread ! I thought I might let you know

BTW : the lick on the sig is now working !

2. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Aha! Intelligence! That's the reason for the non-descript file with its small surprises. I like the idea of "sniffing" someone out with the Force, and Qui-Gon's wry remark that he was able to locate a sentient being inside a building. So Dane knew why they had come for him? Something he did -- or someone he knew? Keep going!

3. jedi7

jedi7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    GREAT!!!!!!!!!, through the force I sense action in the future. 7

4. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    Yes, I have to admit, my favorite thing in the world to write is a good light saber fight. :) Which gives me a good idea for the Silent Challenge thread... ;)

5. Admiral_Lelila

Admiral_Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2001
    Ahhh, Prom night. ;) Raven is very impressive, such talent!!!! :) Oh why did she leave the temple???? ?[face_plain]

6. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Jan 1, 2002
    Silent fic with lightsabers ??

:D - check out what Angelic sith did with amphistaffs .. that rocks too !

UP UP UP on this thread and the Silent one too !

the Admiral

7. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    I need to catch up in the Silent Thread and your story as well. The lightsaber fic is still in my head, though it will be on the computer when I get the chance. :)
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Raven?s back had begun to ache again, but she took great pains to ignore it. Instead, a musical theme was running through her head, something she must have heard somewhere, quiet, creepy music that seemed to fit the mood as she followed Qui-Gon through the damp, badly lit building. Shards of glass from broken illumination banks were scattered on the floor, as well as broken beams from supports and frames of windows or doors. Someone had passed through her recently, that much Raven could tell, but she didn?t know him well.

The rogue fingered her lightsaber hilt. Her entire body was tensed, ready for some kind of attack, but nothing happened. Qui-Gon moved sure-footedly in front of her, and they made their way deeper into the bowels of the city, places that probably hadn?t seem much sentient life.

They came into a huge room with a high, vaulted ceiling. Raven felt her breath catch in her throat. The room had furniture, though the damp had begun to deteriorate what must have been rich wood at some point. Diffused light came from windows lining the far wall of the room, their grimy, fogged surfaces casting a grayish pallor to the room. It illuminated the rotting wood, as well as older furniture that had fallen or been broken apart. The floor was filled with obstacles, piles of forgotten things and rumpled rugs, memories of someone?s life long gone, as well as a huge banquet table dominating the middle of the room. The room must have been an old gathering place or part of a mansion, long forgotten and built over. Something about the room appealed to her, its antiquated majesty and disused purpose.

A split second later, Raven noticed him. In the far corner of the room, beyond what she could see in the dim light, she could sense Dane, dazed and mildly frightened. He was also bound and probably gagged. The odd thing was, there wasn?t another person in the room. Whoever brought him here had left him, and probably not just because they became tired of carrying him.

Raven touched Qui-Gon?s shoulder. ?It?s a trap,? she whispered as softly as she could. The sound seemed to echo in the quiet chamber. ?Dane?s over in the corner, a little dazed. They must have knocked him out to get him here.?

?Or just recently moved him,? Qui-Gon replied as quietly. ?How about this? Same drill as this morning, you circle around the right side, and I?ll take the left. We?ll meet at Dane. Here, do you have your comm? Good. This is the number for mine. If you find major trouble, use the commlink. If we don?t have time?? He trailed off and shrugged.

Raven could fill in the rest of that thought. Even though they both were trained in the Jedi Arts, communication between two minds that weren?t intimately familiar was very taxing and difficult. If necessity dictating, it could be used. However, that might cause more damage. ?We get Dane and get out then??

The Jedi shrugged. ?Depends on how easy this is. My mission is to remove the threat on Valorum, and if this doesn?t go well, I may not get a second chance. It?d be nice to apprehend Younam.?

?Understood. It?s that time then. May the Force be with you,? she said, beginning to move away.

?And with you, Raven,? Qui-Gon replied, watching her go for a moment. The thought crossed his mind that she was more a Jedi at heart that some of the Knights within the Temple itself. She gave freely of herself, with no thought of her gain. The rogue wasn?t afraid of confronting wrongs as she could. The sense of trust that he?d had since she?d rescued him from the CorSec welled up within him again, even stronger, he wondered about her leaving the Temple. Abruptly, he brought himself back to the task at hand. Later would be the time for speculation.

8. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Anyone out there?

9. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Jan 1, 2002
    woooo

NEW POST ! NEW POST ! NEW POST ! NEW POST ! NEW POST ! NEW POST ! NEW POST ! NEW POST ! NEW POST ! NEW POST ! NEW POST ! NEW POST ! NEW POST ! NEW POST ! NEW POST ! NEW POST !

Thank you !

the Admiral

10. jedi7

Jan 8, 2002
    Just checking, read this earlier, and I wonder also why Raven turned rogue. 7

11. Admiral_Lelila

Sep 29, 2001
    My admiration for Raven increases with each post. :)

12. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    All will be revealed in due time. ;)
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Carefully, Raven crept across the room, trying to stay within the shadows. The debris was thicker on the sides of the room, and she had to place her feet carefully to avoid making noise or even twisting her ankle. The room was painfully quiet, and the rogue couldn?t even hear the movements of Qui-Gon. Dane was silent, at least to her ears, as well, although he hadn?t made any noise to begin with. Something bothered her though. Her mind for details went over what she knew about Nat, and this quiet, seemingly empty room didn?t quite seem to be his style. She would have suspected something a bit flashier from him.

Raven was almost to the corner of the room when she noticed it was significantly darker. The nearly full-length windows reminded her of her own loft, and through them, despite their layers of dirt and grim, she could see that night had almost fallen. This side of the room was, in comparison to the other, much brighter, which made it considerably more difficult for Raven to stay within the cover of the shadows. She squatted onto her haunches to rest for a moment and consider the best way to get to the corner opposite her, where she could sense Dane sitting. He was hidden behind some fragments, far enough into the shadows that he wasn?t visible.

Abruptly, an explosion roared from the other side of the room, shaking the floor and knocking Raven?s feet out from under her. A bright flash accompanied the noise, temporarily blinding her. Dimly, Raven could see a plume of vapor erupt from the spot the flash was a moment before, and then it filled the room with a chalky white fog that chilled Raven?s skin.

So that?s the catch, she thought dismally to herself. Raven shifted fluidly to her feet, frustrated to find that the fog extended well over her head. The smell of it was somewhat medicinal, and a sinking feeling settled itself into her stomach. She recognized that smell. In fact, it had been used on her before. The fog was some kind of sedative. Even as she made that logical deduction, the room was beginning to spin. Raven crouched back down towards the floor, hoping that the fog was less dense than air. Then, she began to make her way towards the table.

She estimated she was about halfway there when a groan permeated the fog. The sound seemed to come from somewhere in front of her, although Raven couldn?t be sure. The fog was beginning to take a toll on her senses, making even the act reaching out into the Force a challenge. She tried to avoid it totally, knowing she would just act as a homing beacon in her state.

Once under the table, she slipped off her cloak. That already had soaked in some of the scent from the fog. Quickly, Raven pulled off her outer tunic and turned it inside out, pressing the formerly unexposed fabric to her mouth and nose. Almost immediately, she felt better. Her senses were clearer, and she felt more in control of herself.

With the cloth pressed up to her nose, Raven reached out with her senses to the room beyond the table. She could feel Qui-Gon some distance away, although he was unconscious and somewhat wounded. His mind was confused and distant. The Rogue decided that he must have inadvertently triggered whatever it was that had released the sedative fog. Given the speed at which the fog had dispersed, he probably had been thrown a short distance from wherever the trap had been set.

Dane was also still in the room, although he was also knocked out. Raven sat for a moment, considering the next best move when she felt a familiar presence approach the large, dilapidated room. Nat was coming to collect his prey. Reaching into the Force, Raven worked to create what was the Force-equivalent to white noise, masking her own presence with others. She knew that it may not even work, but she would be no use whatsoever if she couldn?t maintain the element of surprise against Nat. Qui-Gon was in danger though, lying in the middle of the dark room, completely unable to defe

13. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Jan 1, 2002
    I love this !

Soooo cool !

the Admiral

14. jedi7

Jan 8, 2002
    I second the Admiral, Raven's soo cool!!!! 7

15. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Ooh, very nice! Loved the way they split up; that gave Raven time to find a way to avoid the effects of the fog. It had been used on her before? Yes, when? Interesting background detail there. And Qui-Gon's unconscious? Nat's coming? I'd better not blink and miss the next post!

16. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    *laughs* As you all sit on the edge of your chairs. Just so you know, I've gone to the Dark Side and am now trying my hand at cliff-hangers. [face_devil]
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

?It?s all clear now, sir,? a voice echoed hauntingly in the room. It was then flooded with lights, making Raven blink with slight pain. She still hunched under the table, and her back was beginning to stiffen and protest because of her position. Clatters from a pair of boots made their way along the side of the table towards Qui-Gon. The black boots then paused next to her friend?s inert form. ?Looks like he was either knocked out by the initial explosion or overpowered by that gas.?

With the lights on, Raven could see Qui-Gon?s face and part of his side. His left leg had a damp, red splotch that was slowly growing, as well as cuts on his face, arms, and torso. There must have been shrapnel within the gas detonator. He seemed to be fine other than the leg wound and having been knocked out. Raven swallowed, wondering what Nat had planned. It wouldn?t be good, in any case.

The boots moved away as Nat?s lackey walked towards where she had sensed Dane. She watched him move towards a larger pile of old furniture. ?The Alderaanian is still here. I would have thought the second intruder would have taken him.?

?No, she?s still here,? Nat?s deep voice echoed from the far side of the room. ?I?m not sure where, because she is masking herself, but she never left. She won?t leave either.?

?She?? the other voice inquired dubiously. He moved back towards Nat?s voice, stepping over Qui-Gon as if he were tempted to kick the defenseless Jedi. ?How are you so sure??

?I know,? Nat replied a little contemptuously. ?That?s all you need to understand. Kill the Jedi,? he added casually.

?Yes, sir,? the other voice replied. Raven darted out from under the table, grabbing and activating her lightsaber in one fluid movement. She deflected the two blaster bolts shot from Nat?s companion, sending them harmlessly into one of the corners of the room. Surprise registered on the other?s face, and he glanced down at his blaster, as though the deflections were caused by some malfunction of it. Then, he glanced back to Nat, who was still near the doorway.

?Nice of you to join us,? the blond-haired man said sweetly, his blue eyes glittering malevolently. ?I figured that would coax you out of hiding. You haven?t seemed to have lost your touch either.? He shifted slightly, moving forward fluidly. He was wearing very fine clothes, obviously tailored to his well-built body

Raven kept her face blank and deactivated her pure white blade. ?You either,? she replied. ?I?m not surprised to see that you still prey on those weaker than you.?

?Oh,? he pouted contemptuously, ?temper, temper, Raven. We don?t want fireworks just yet.?

?You have no right to chide me for keeping my temper, Nat,? Raven said evenly.

?Right, I forgot I was speaking to the poster child for the Jedi Order. But I forgot, you aren?t a Jedi any longer.? His lip curled into a vicious smile.

?You can?t goad me into attack that way. You ought to know that. Besides, I certainly left on better terms than you.?

Nathaniel?s face changed to show masked anger. The other man glanced at his superior then turned and fired on her. Raven easily activated her saber and deflected the bolts away from her and Qui-Gon. ?All right, enough small talk. I?m taking C?xon and my companion here, and we?re leaving,? Raven said very businesslike, shooting a look to the man with the blaster.

Nat shrugged in return. ?I?m afraid it?s not that easy. You see, this man here thinks I have a right to them. In addition to that, I?ve already made plans for our Alderaanian friend. Your companion there also presents a certain allure, given what he is and what I could do with him.?

?I can?t let you do that,? she shrugged. ?Old habits die hard, eh??

The fallen Jedi sneered. ?You were always difficult.? He produced his own lightsaber and then smiled again. ?Now this looks fa

17. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Yay!!! I got my AOTC cd today in the mail!!! :D The music is great. Only seven more days... though I won't get to see it opening night. Oh well. :D :D :D

Another thing, I wrote a silent short story that tells of Raven's victory in the higher weight class at the Silent Challenge thread. I believe it's the tenth or eleventh post on this page.

18. Admiral_Lelila

Sep 29, 2001
    I loved the line,
    "The thought crossed his mind that she was more a Jedi at heart that some of the Knights within the Temple itself. She gave freely of herself, with no thought of her gain." suspenseful post. :)

19. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Jan 1, 2002
    [face_shocked]

:)

;)

[face_laugh]

the Admiral

20. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    C'xon -- is that Dane? Ah, tying this scene in to that competition that Raven won outside of her own weight class is very interesting! Loved the way that Raven told Nat he had no reason to be chiding her about her temper, especially as he was close to losing his own just a little later. So, he wants to re-write history, huh? Why do I think he won't be able to? More soon, please!

21. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Only instinct saved Raven from becoming one with the Force in that moment. Her hand activated her own saber and moved to block his purple blade before she completely comprehended what had happened. Nat grimaced at her between the blades, his eyes glinting angrily. He shoved on his saber handle, forcing her back.

Raven shifted just far enough to regain her footing, parrying the next harsh blow he dealt her. The force of the hit sent tremors up her arm. She blocked the next few hits, mentally making calculations. Qui-Gon was about three steps behind her, and Raven didn?t want Nat to get between her and him. From what she could quickly discern of his state, he would be conscious soon, although that vague term could range anywhere from ten to fifty minutes. Another blow brought her back to the fight. Regardless of the Jedi?s state, it wouldn?t matter if she didn?t keep Nat at bay somehow.

Switching to the offensive, Raven tried to score her own hits. Nat seemed surprised, allowing himself to be driven back to the edge of the table, about six meters from Qui-Gon. However, Raven doubted the authenticity of that movement. That man never did anything without leaving himself a way out. He had been that way in the Temple, and Raven knew that he hadn?t changed much since he?d left.

They came to another momentary deadlock, blades hissing against one another, when Nat applied abrupt, hard pressure against her hand. Raven stumbled backwards, tripping over a piece of furniture to slam painfully against the floor. Stars appeared in her eyes, but now she understood. Nat advanced, towering over her to finish the battle.

Raven kicked out, catching his ankles with her foot. Nathaniel came crashing down, his saber clattering away. He twisted, calling it back to his hand, but Raven had already leapt back to her feet and onto the table. The wood groaned against her weight but held firm.

?You can?t win,? Nat spat. Blood flecked his lip where he had landed, giving him a demonic look. He wiped at his mouth with cuff of his tunic sleeve, reactivating his saber. ?I learned from our first spar. This will be your last.?

?So you say,? Raven replied. She moved towards him on the tabletop, her boots echoing on the wood. ?But didn?t you ever listen to Master Yoda? ?Always changing, the future is,? so there is a possibility that I may survive this encounter.

A slow smile crossed his face. ?Then let us add another death to your conscious. Perhaps that will take the defiance from you. You can?t win, Raven Suul, and I think you should suffer another loss.? He moved away from the table, heading for Qui-Gon.

Raven took three long steps to the edge of the table and leapt, landing in a crouch between Nat and Qui-Gon. She whirled, her lightsaber in front of her, blocking Nathaniel?s path. ?I?ve put that behind me,? she replied, ?but I will not let you take the life of another to suit your whims. Not while there is still breath in my body.?

?That?s the idea.?

The pair exchanged more blows, and Raven managed to score the first actual hit. Nat grimaced against the burn and withdrew a short distance. She followed, trading hard strike for hard strike. They were a short distance away when a flicker of movement on the periphery of her vision caught her attention. The other man, Nat?s accomplice, was taking careful aim with his blaster, sights on Qui-Gon.

Raven kept her lightsaber in her right hand, fending off Nat as best she could. Bringing her left hand around in front of her, she withdrew her own blaster from its holster. Haphazardly, she aimed in the direction on the accomplice and shot, letting the Force do the fine tuning of her aim. The bolt caught the other man right as he shot, sending the blast from his blaster up into the ceiling, where it hit a light bank and sent sparks raining down on them. The man crumpled soundlessly to the floor.

One spark singed her shoulder, and she watched as another caught Nathaniel on his saber arm. He growled a menacing curse and drove towards her, his

22. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Ack! Great fight scene! I liked the way Raven told Nat that the future was always in motion and therefore she might well survive the fight, despite the lesson that he'd learned back in the Temple. And Qui-Gon's awake? There's hope after all!

23. jedi7

Jan 8, 2002
    Great post Musical. 7

24. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Jan 1, 2002
    Weeee....

I love this fic !

the Admiral

25. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Gone a week on vacation and come back to find this thread grown in leaps and bounds. Kidnapping, intrigue and fight scenes of incredible quality.

Wow, Musical this is outstanding!!! :) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.