An Appeal from the Maryland Garrison

Discussion in 'King of Prussia, PA' started by Calixte, Jun 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calixte Jedi Youngling

star 4
    As you all were aware we here in Maryland made a visit to Ronald McDonald house in Baltimore, not awfully long ago. There we met a very special child by the name of RJ Voight. RJ ws stricken with childhood cancer, and from what I gather he was incredibly sick. He had not been down to the common area for 3 months...until we showed up. The boy is a dedicated Star Wars fan. We all really fell head over heels for him, and gave him "secret stashes" of toys no other kids knew about. ;) He really lit up.

I recieved nearly daily emails from his Mom since our visit, and a few weeks ago he was doing markedly better. There was, I believe even some ramblings about him leaving RMH. Tonight was a sorely different letter. His tumors have now gavitated to his lungs...they are all over them.

As the doctors found this, they immediately set forth to do scans and get treatments of chemo going...but RJ has refused because of his slim chance. He is tired of fighting, and has resigned himself to die. His mother's heart is literally breaking, and rightly so, but she respects his wishes to go home and end his fight. This boy is truly awe inspiring...I believe this child is all of 11-12 years old. As a grown man, death I fear more than anything...this child is ready, and I cannot fathom the pain it takes for a child to make that choice. Bravery doesnt decribe it.

We will be attending a farewell party for him being thrown at RMH in a week or so, but the issue I come to you all with is regarding his Mother. She said in a letter tonight that she didnt know how she was going to get RJ home to Pokomoke because her van is broken and needing a water pump. This woman is going thru enough, and of course RJ is going to worry about getting home and how his Mom is going to get on without him as is, without this needed worry. Altho it's never been said to me, I dont believe his Mom has alot of money, and of course with treating her son, I cant imagine the medical bills.
    I want to give a donation from the 501st/MD Garrison, and Garrison Carida. If not to pay for her van repairs, then to help in some small way for her medical expenses....I truly believe they need it, I doubt she would mention the van in her letters if not.
    If any of you can make any sort of donation, in any amount, it can be paypaled to tk423@netzero.net I will collect all funds by the 9th of June. We will be seeing RJ and his Mom on the 11th, at 7pm...where we'll be giving him one of my Vader sabers, some more toys and books, and our donations along with a big card with all our names on it.

I was hesitant to write this request of you all, but when I went to WVA hospital with Carida, I really felt I met some close brothers in arms with Jeff and Jason, and all the rest of you...youre terrific people, all of you... and I see how much you like helping and I dont see anyone in our scopes right now that deserves our help more.

Thank you,
    Jeff Ritzmann
    TK423/SL423
    CO of MD Garrison
  2. Calixte Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Did anyone from our group contribute to this worthy cause? Let me know!

Thanks.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.