main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

An easier way of comprehending the threat posed in the UR.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by chissdude10, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Before I begin, let me thank timetales, because I was needing a little help putting it together myself.

To understand correctly, we must first travel to a time when our world was populated by the most dominating civilization in the world, the Roman Empire.

We all should know the Roman Empire's demise had to do with a lot of things, notebly the rise of christianity and overexpansion.

Oh yes before I continue, dont kill me if some facts are wrong, this is preety impressive for any 7th grader.

Ok were was I oh yes... Anyway, the Roman Empire really overexpanded, in fact they had a lot of trouble keeping their iron gripe on provinces such as gall(france), germany, and Britain.

Now how is this relivent you say?
    Simple, not alot of people relize the Empire really did heavilly explore and colinize the UR as well as Wild Space. They had small garrisons as well as a allience with Thrawns forces and even possibly the main chiss fraction.

Also like the Romans the Empire thought of these people as Barbaric, like the Romans thought of Germanics and Celts. So simply the Empire tried to impose it's rule here.

Heres when my theory comes in...
    When the Empire fell, they wernt worried about the UR or Wild Space, just like how when Rome split into 4 kingdoms in what 200 or so AD, the forces paniced and eventually either retreated for home, or where destroyed orr taken into the Barbarric yet rich culture(no that is not a oxymoran).

The only people to keep the gripe was Thranws forces, for the main chiss fraction did not give a crap what happened outside their teritory.

Heres the other part of the theory, the big part...
    There is at least one powerfull, moving fraction in the UR. Maybe they are Barbaric, maybe not. I am basing this off the Barbarians from Eastern Europe who eventually sacked Rome.

All in all I conclude, their may not be that horrendus of a UR threat, rather just a collapse in government that has not been reapared.

What ya guys think? Was it actuall intellegent?

2. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Despite the fact that you so simplified the decline and fall of the Roman Empire to the point where some of your statements are quite...wrong...I don't know.

But I doubt it.

I very much doubt that much or even most of the UR is or was one unified government. The Germans of Roman times weren't the nation of germany, but were a whole group of clans that didn't think of themselves as Germans but only as members of their clan. They eventually pretty much took over Rome. Too, it was clans of these Germans that essentially populated England, originally called in as mercenaries to help fight off the Viking threats and whatnot. Now, it's been a long time since I studied, so I'm not sure about the accuracy of what I'm saying, but my point is -- your analogy doesn't hold up because all these "barbarians" weren't a unified government, nor unified under one (in practice; in theory, it was often otherwise). Who knows, maybe some Charlemagne figure'll pop up in the EU or something.

3. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    (Thread Bash#1)

4. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    I bashed nothing.

5. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    IAmtheDarkSide...
    "Who knows, maybe some Charlemagne figure'll pop up in the EU or something..."

Now there's an opening for a specific poster if I ever saw one. :) I'm sure a Charlemagne figure might even pop up in this thread. ;)

6. Terranix

Terranix Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2001
    To be fair to all those other Empires out there, the Romans weren't the most dominant in terms of territory by a long shot. The Mongols still hold that title, by, well, miles. & the reason for the fall of Rome, summed up, was the stirup.

& the Chiss are only a very small KINGDOM in the UR, the main force is the EMPIRE. Thrawn's household phalanx is frowned upon by them.

I don't think we need to worry about any sort of a ''threat'' though. Zahn & the NJO authors have succeeded not only in COMPLETLEY wussifying the Imperial Remenant(As if anyone would call their nation THAT.), but making it ''good'' & ''honourable'' etc. Blurgh.

7. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    I have sat through History class to make this theory! Someone say something nice!

8. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    Are you saying if not for this theory you would've just not gone to history class, and that the only thing you get out of history class is Star Wars theories?

9. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    No, but I really pay attention because history often repeats itself, plus I just wanted someone to respond positivly.

10. Terranix

Terranix Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2001
    Agree, you mean? :D

& as Star Wars happened a Long Time Ago, human civilization here would be repeating THEIR actions, not vice versa.

11. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    The Toffs might be seen as barbaric...

TC

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, one, I'm not trying to bash you or anything, but the average seventh grader should know that information.

Now, about the Mongols. They held more territory, but they didn't really govern it. The Romans did. That is, in my mind, what make the Romans more significant.

13. goldbubbly

goldbubbly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2002
    I liked how you compared the EMpire to the Roman Empire. Maybe it doesn't match up exactly but it was definiteley a good try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.