An Empire of Military Bases

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Jabbadabbado, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIktomi Jedi Master

star 4
    One problem with imperialism is, it's expensive. Needless to say, nobody will talk about reducing American military presence worldwide to fix the budget.
  2. AnakinsGirl Jedi Master

star 4
    Jabba: if you haven't already, an amazing book to read is "The American Empire and the Commonwealth of God".

It is a series of essays written by well-respected social and political scientists (admittedly, most of them are from the ivory tower of academia) that illuminates the past 70 years of American foreign policy. It is not a long book, but a bit dry and dense. I don't trust books like this without citations, and guess what? True to the fashion of academia, most claims are buddied up with a source. :)

If you want, I would be delighted to share some interesting quotes with you that may highlight their views supporting American imperialism that may spark discussion.

I have to admit that I haven't read the whole thread yet. I read your first post, and got excited about the recommendation.

SERIOUSLY, you won't regret it. Get it from your local library--or better yet, buy it and add it to your own :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.