main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

An Empire of Military Bases

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Jabbadabbado, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    One problem with imperialism is, it's expensive. Needless to say, nobody will talk about reducing American military presence worldwide to fix the budget.

2. AnakinsGirl

AnakinsGirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    Jabba: if you haven't already, an amazing book to read is "The American Empire and the Commonwealth of God".

It is a series of essays written by well-respected social and political scientists (admittedly, most of them are from the ivory tower of academia) that illuminates the past 70 years of American foreign policy. It is not a long book, but a bit dry and dense. I don't trust books like this without citations, and guess what? True to the fashion of academia, most claims are buddied up with a source. :)

If you want, I would be delighted to share some interesting quotes with you that may highlight their views supporting American imperialism that may spark discussion.

I have to admit that I haven't read the whole thread yet. I read your first post, and got excited about the recommendation.

SERIOUSLY, you won't regret it. Get it from your local library--or better yet, buy it and add it to your own :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.