Speculation An equally important question: Who should write it?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII and Beyond (Archive)' started by Ballowall, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedsithor Force Ghost

star 4
    Just keep Lindelof, Orci and Kurtzman away from it.
  2. fishtailsam Force Ghost

star 4
    Has Gaiman done any screenplays?

If we're throwing around random writers we love, Jim Butcher
  3. Jedsithor Force Ghost

star 4
    How about the ultimate insider?

Katie Lucas....
    StampidHD280pro likes this.
  4. Barth Force Ghost

star 4
    My vote is for JJ Abrahms...at least a co-write. What about a dream-team pair up with someone else like Stoppard?
  5. Mystery Roach Chosen One

star 4
    I've never gotten aboard the Lindelof hate train, but for the love of all that is good in the universe keep Orci and Kurtzman far far away from the Star Wars galaxy.
    The-Eternal-Hero and LawJedi like this.
  6. UseTheForceLady Jedi Master

My first thought was Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright but then they may be way to fanboy! Otherwise they are amazing writers able to blend humor with serious stuff and write great characters.
    Norminator likes this.
  7. citizenmilton Jedi Master

star 1
    He's written umpteen drafts for the Death: The High Cost of Living movie that stayed in development Hades for ages. And he co-wrote Beowulf.

But many (if not most?) of his screenplays haven't been features, but rather, episodes. Such as for Doctor Who and his currently in-development HBO adaptation of American Gods.

I love Gaiman, but I'm afraid his tone is a bit too dark for Star Wars, if he were the sole writer. But, if one of my favorites for the director's chair, Guillermo Del Toro, was chosen, I'd love to see him give Gaiman a pass at the script, just to add some additional ideas...his sensibility meshes really well with Del Toro's.
  8. DanielRJones Jedi Padawan

I think Gaiman's unique strength as a candidate is that, given his excellent writing in a wide variety of different mediums (comics, novels, short stories, live action films, stop motion, tv, essays), he'd be able to cope with writing a CGI heavy film, something a lot of good writers seem to struggle adapting to. It I was a filmmaker, I can imagine it seeming almost an entirely different medium than a traditional film.
  9. mutantchair Jedi Padawan

I'd love to see some TV writers in the mix: Vince Gilligan (showrunner of Breaking Bad) could take a stab at it, or Steven Moffat (Doctor Who, Sherlock) would be a terrific choice as well. Shawn Ryan (The Shield, Terriers, Last Resort) is another great showrunner who has a good grasp of both humor and action.

Edgar Wright/Joe Cornish would be a great fit and a strong possibility, after having done an excellent job with Tintin (which Kathleen Kennedy produced).
  10. mutantchair Jedi Padawan

I would have thought the same thing too, if Wright hadn't pulled off Tintin with perfect tone.
  11. LANDOROCKS Jedi Padawan

12. Norminator Jedi Master

star 1
    I'm a big fan of Gaiman, but I'm not sure if Star Wars would be his forte. It would certainly be interesting, but how much does he know about it?
    Moffat would also be interesting, but I have the same reservations there as I do with Gaiman.
    Just hope a fan gets a shot at writing. Not a blind fanboy, but someone who knows the universe and material.
  13. DarthMateous Force Ghost

star 4
    Without a doubt, Lawrence Kasdan. He was the writer that brought the sarcasm and humor to the OT. He was what was missing in the PT.
  14. stellarmagic01 Force Ghost

star 4
    While I love Zahn... he's not a screenwriter. Hmm... I honestly have no idea.
  15. Danzo Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    If I'm honest I really wouldn't mind seeing Whedon take a stab at it, there's barely anything he's written that I haven't enjoyed, at least since the Buffy movie.
  16. DarthLowBudget Force Ghost

star 5
    Also, I'd like to point out that Abrams really can't write for beans. His scripts are tonal and thematic nightmares.
  17. JackG Force Ghost

star 4
    Matthew Stover.... :confused:
  18. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    Yeah, I'd rather see him direct.

"No *lensflare* Luke *lensflare*, I *lensflare* am your *lensflare* *shakycam*
    Last edited by Ramza, Nov 1, 2012
    JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  19. yodasbum Force Ghost

star 2
    I would speculate that a lot of the script is written and done as pre-vis. I would expect an announcements on director and casting to start by the end of the year and filming to start next summer.
  20. CoolyFett Force Ghost

star 4
    New undiscovered talent is what the new saga needs.
  21. Ballowall Jedi Padawan

I honestly think that's the best idea. After all there's literally thousands of people who turned themselves into filmmakers, some of them pretty talented, of a sort because of starwars (Myself included). Star Wars is indeed a great vehicle for that. Lucas himself built his name on the starwars films.
  22. Ballowall Jedi Padawan

I agree with a few of you guys saying they need new, untested talent. That's seriously the best way to go. Fresh, younger people who care about the material and bring new ideas and creativity to the table.

Make it happen Disney/Lucasfilm!
  23. Jedsithor Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm flattered but nobody at Lucasfilm even knows who I am. :D

Actually I'd love to write a Star Wars movie. It would be a dream job and I've got so many ideas for stories and characters and awesome action sequences. Of course the problem is I'd still want to come here and I'd end up spoiling the whole thing. :p
  24. Saurion-Fett Force Ghost

star 4
    Lets face the people capable of writing this is us here a TFN jedi council.....they can send me the cheque and i will see you get your fair share
  25. Darth_Darkmoon Jedi Padawan

Carrie Fisher should write the script.
    Maybe she even talked with George Lucas about it while having their dinner in summer...

Please don't let Damon Lindelof and/or Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman write one of the movies!!!
    Last edited by Darth_Darkmoon, Nov 1, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.