main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation An equally important question: Who should write it?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Ballowall, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    He probably only has like two favourite writers.

2. khuddle

khuddle Jedi Master star 1

Oct 17, 2008
    George RR Martin. He's the best fantasy writer since Tolkien (heck he might be better than Tolkien -- Tolkien's prose was better,
    but Martin is the vastly better storyteller), and $ to 1 he's a huge Star wars fan and would jump at the opportunity.

3. MandaloreTheNerdy

MandaloreTheNerdy Jedi Youngling

Mar 15, 2009
    Yeah but it would take 10 years to the the story.

Tan-Wessel and Darth Guy like this.
  4. MandaloreTheNerdy

MandaloreTheNerdy Jedi Youngling

Mar 15, 2009
    Steven Moffat.

Tan-Wessel likes this.
  5. khuddle

Oct 17, 2008
    LOL forgot about that yeah

MandaloreTheNerdy likes this.
  6. LWSwann

LWSwann Jedi Padawan

Nov 1, 2012
    Some of these choices might seem a little odd but I wouldn't mind seeing a screenplay from Chris Columbus, Lawrence Kasdan, Steve Kloves, Andrew Stanton, Matthew Vaughn. Of course, I mean individually - not as a team...

7. JediMJS

JediMJS Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Me. I'm a starving screenwriting student, throw me a bone, LFL XD

On a serious note, yes, it is important to remember that Kasdan is still alive and well and could definitely deliver the goods.

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Three!

9. khuddle

Oct 17, 2008
    Micheal Moorcock. Old as a dinosaur, but still one of the most creative fantasy writers out there --
    would love to his spin on Star Wars. And he might throw in a red, double-bladed lightsabre with
    demonic powers named Stormbringer :D

10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Jerry Cornelius is exactly the type of lovable, old-fashioned and wholesome character that Disney loves.

11. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I hate to say it, but it might very well be Lindelof. He is sort of hot commodity right now.

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Charlie Kaufman. (Star Wars Episode VII: Being Luke Skywalker)

13. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    He lives not too far from me in the woods of Bastrop County, TX. I've driven by his ranch several times, though I hear he is very grumpy if you try to approach him as a fan. It bears noting here that he's never worked as a screenwriter and is very old.

14. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I'd say that Lawrence Kasdan seems like the most logical choice, since he did write Empire and Jedi....Some other good names would be Ronald D. Moore and Joss Whedon. Someone metioned Karpshyn, but I'm not big on his work. I played Mass Effect and some of Mass Effect 2, and they were fun, but the stories were pretty standard and formulaic with the ancient alien race, and the derelict space travel gateways, and all that. I also read Mass Effect: Revelation, and I was fairly bored by it.

15. khuddle

Oct 17, 2008
    LOL interesting that an Englishman like him decides in Texas of all places. Actually, I'm not sure if he would be a Star Wars fan, as he definitely doesn't care for a lot of fantasy/sci-fI (he absolutely despises Tolkien and Robert E. Howard as well (Elric was supposed to be the "Anti-Conan"))

16. seasider

seasider Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    Lawrence Kasdan: Kasdan is fan favorite mainly due to his work on Empire Strikes Back and Raiders of the Lost Ark. My main concern with Kasdan is that the guy hasn't done a really good script in years and the passion for another Star Wars may not be there anymore for him.

Drew Goddard: Goddard is a rising young screenwriter who just collaborated with Joss Whedon on Cabin In The Woods. He is currently working with Spielberg on Robopocalyse.

Steven Moffat: Anyone who follows Doctor Who will know who Moffat is. Moffat is also the writer and creator for the acclaimed Sherlock TV series. Moffat knows how to write sci-fi stuff in his sleep but his background has mostly been in TV.

John Logan: Logan has worked on scripts on movies like Gladiator, The Aviator, Huge and Skyfall just to name a few. Like any screenwriter, he's had hits and misses but he has a solid track record.

Jonathan Nolan: His brother Christopher gets a lot of attention but it's Jonathan who is a big part of why his scripts are as good as they are. Nolan has been trying to break out on his own. Being the guy to pen the new Star Wars could be the big break he's looking for.

17. the7thJedi

the7thJedi Jedi Knight

Feb 2, 2010
    I have to agree that I would love to see what Joss Whedon could do with the Star Wars Universe. He successfully revamped the X-Men Comic book a few years back, did an amazing job on the Avengers movie and oh yeah has that little Firefly series/ movie under his belt as well. His writing style would fit much better into the witty dialogue of the OT and far far away from the pretentious, overly formal dialogue of the PT.

18. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    NOT Lindelof/Orci. That would be a truly monumental mistake. I would scream.

Some ideas:

William Monaghan (Days of Heaven)
    Nathan Parker (Moon)
    Michael Chabon (Spiderman 2, John Carter)

Lots of good writers out there. And I hope they find a director with a good ear for dialogue who can shepherd the script.

"My first thought was Simon Pegg"

Why reward that jerk? His writing stinks anyway. Keep him far far away from the SWU. He had his moment on TCW.

19. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Given that they are now at Disney, I would look to some of the Pixiar writers like Brad Bird (Incredibles), Pete Docter (Up, Wall-E, Toy Story), Brenda Chapman (Brave, Lion King), Andrew Stanton (Finding Nemo, Toy Story, Wall-E) Mark Andrews (Brave, John Carter, The Clone Wars micro series), Irene Mecchi (many of the Disney animated movies, Brave)

These are writers that obviously know how to tell a good story, can create good, engaging characters, get the whole "fairy tell" element of writing. They already work for the parent company, why not tap the resource.

20. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    I'd love Stanton, all the way, but just cause Disney owns the companies doesn't mean they'll want them to cross-pollinate.

21. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    No, but they clearly are ok with letting those guys do other things. Stanton wrote and directed John Carter for example. If Kennedy wanted 1-2-3 of them to work on the Star Wars scripot, I can't see Disney having a problem with it, and I think a writering group of Stanton, Chapman, Docter and Bird would be fantastic.

22. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    To my knowledge - and I'm a life long ER Burroughs fanatic who followed the production since Disney owned it in the 1980's - "John Carter" was 100% a Pixar production. Stanton pitched it when the Paramount version fell through, acquired it, developed it in-house, and it was released as a Pixar/Disney film.

Edit: And Stanton could bring on Chabon, who is the best novelist in America right now, and who writes terrific genre scripts.

23. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Stanton said he was "on loan" to Disney to make John Carter because it was PG-13 and Pixiar is an all-ages studio, and Pixiar is not listed int he credits at all (except for a thank you).

24. Mehmeh

Mehmeh Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    Yoji Yamada. The writer and director of those awesome samurai movies. The Hidden Blade, Twilight Samurai...etc. I find that the OT was very character driven like the current crop of Samurai flicks with fighting scenes when needed. The prequels remind me of "wire fu" chinese flicks...flash, bang, flip, superpower...blah

25. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Kasdan. He knows the universe and he's had success. Wish we would have had him back forthe PT.

Joss Whedon, but he definitly have to tone down is pop culture lased dialogue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.