main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

an error in Empire Strikes Back???

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by BoondockSaint, Sep 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoondockSaint

BoondockSaint Jedi Youngling

Sep 27, 2004
    i'm watching it right now and early in the movie when Luke is lying down in the snow he "sees" Obi Wan. Obi Wan tells him to seek out Yoda, "the Jedi master i learned from"
    is that not wrong? in Episode I Obi Wan is Qui Gon's Padawan and at the end after Qui Gon is dead Obi Wan is talking to Yoda and Yoda appoints him to Jedi Knight.

am i missing something here?

DamonD edit : This one's in the FAQ.

2. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    When he was a youngling, he learned from Yoda.

3. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    You have much to learn youngling.

Every Jedi was first trained by Yoda as a youngling before being taken as a Padawan by a Jedi Master.
    Yoda used to train Padawans as well but stopped doing so to concentrate on the Council. One of Yoda's last Padawans was Count Dooku.

4. Darth_Seer

Darth_Seer Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 27, 2004
    "One of Yoda's last Padawans was Count Dooku."

Actually, Dooku was never Yoda's individual padawan.

5. Darth-Jett

Darth-Jett Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2002
    Wow, 5 years later and someone brings it up again.

6. SAND-CRAWLER

SAND-CRAWLER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Ben: There you will learn from Yoda, the Jedi Master who instructed me.

"instructed" doesn't meand that Obiwan was Yoda's one and only Padawan. It means that Yoda gave Obiwan lots of instruction...which happened in TPM, AotC and most assuredly will happen in RotS as well. Besides, who do you think instructed Obiwan about the force ghost trick? ;)

7. deltau922

deltau922 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 1999
    "Fought well you have, my old padawan."

8. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    "Fought well you have, my old padawan."

Same principle as Obi-Wan. Yoda sees all the Jedi as his old Padawans, because he instructed all of them at some time.

9. Darth_Seer

Aug 27, 2004
    "Same principle as Obi-Wan. Yoda sees all the Jedi as his old Padawans, because he instructed all of them at some time."

Precisely.

10. BoondockSaint

BoondockSaint Jedi Youngling

Sep 27, 2004
    Yoda never trained Anakin did he?

if not then not ever youngling learns from Yoda. btw, i do have much to learn. i am a recent fan of the Star Wars movies.

11. IceDrake523

IceDrake523 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2004
    "if not then not ever youngling learns from Yoda. btw, i do have much to learn. i am a recent fan of the Star Wars movies. "

Yoda teaches more of the preschool of the Jedi council. And Anakin was too old for a class, but too young for a padawan.

12. DarthMyBoy

DarthMyBoy Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2003
    Actually, Dooku was never Yoda's individual padawan.

He wasnt???

13. Darth_Seer

Aug 27, 2004
    "He wasnt???"

No, he wasn't.

14. ratmankey

ratmankey Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Wow, it's like 1999 all over again!

15. DarthLassic007

Nov 25, 2002
    Yes. Yoda was Dooku's individual Jedi Master. It's in the EU and also in AOTC.

Yoda to Dooku - "Fought well you have, my old padawan."

Yoda doesn't say - Fought well you have my old youngling.

16. IG-88Fan

IG-88Fan Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2004
    Also keep in mind thAt in ROTJ Obi Wan says "I thought I could train Anakin as well as Yoda taught me" so I'm pretty sure he meant it to sound as Yoda was his Master as Obi Wan was Anakin's

17. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    Ah, its all like college or university to the Jedi and their VARIED masters.

Dooku had Yoda for an elective course, but learned under different instructors with each semester.

Same thing applies to the other Jedi was well.

Its like an acedemic orgy folks.

Everyone taught each other. ;)

18. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004

I thought this was a mistake too, but then realized how would OB1 explain Yoda to luke in a short period of time before Han showed up and before LUke passed out?

Luke, goto dagobah and learn from the jedi guy that once was the most powerful jedi in the world and had his own concil and ahhhhhh, screw it..

I think it was just easier to tell Luke that Yoda was his teacher. Luke looked up to OB1, so if he thought he was going to the man that taught Ben, he would be there in 2 minutes.

Also, im pretty sure, when Yoda said my old padawan, Dooku was a direct Padawan of yoda...

CLone

19. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    It's a lot easier for Obi to say tell Luke to go find Yoda than to say "Go learn from Yoda, the Jedi who instructed me...well actually I was trained by Qui-Gon...Who's Qui-Gon you ask? Well he was my old master who was killed by Darth Maul...Oh, you don't know who Darth Maul is either? Jeez, what DO they teach you kids in school nowadays anyway? Well, Darth Maul was a Sith lord who followed us to Tatooine where we met your father and...Oh, I'm glad you asked. You see, your father was a slave when we first met him...what? Well yes I did say he was a great pilot but...stop interupting! Anyway, just go find Yoda."

20. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    Yes. Yoda was Dooku's individual Jedi Master. It's in the EU and also in AOTC.

No, in the EU his Master is a Jedi Knight named Thame Cerulian. It says so in Legacy of the Jedi.

21. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    the eu is boooguuuusssss

22. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    "the Jedi Master who instructed me"
    "but Master Yoda said I should be mindful of the future"
    "this one I have watched for a long time"

Yoda was not Obi-Wan's master and he never claimed so. Obi-Wan merely got a few lessons from Yoda (the map thing in AotC is a lesson) - he got "instructed". Additionally to the youngling thing.

There you go. Oh, and, it's in the FAQ, too.

23. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Ben describes Yoda simply as "the Jedi master who instructed me". As we've seen in the prequels, even though Obi-Wan was Qui-Gon's padawn in TPM, he still received instruction from Yoda ("But Master Yoda said I should be mindful of the future."). In AOTC, we see that Obi-Wan still seeks out Yoda's advice. Thus he says, "the Jedi master who instructed me."

Besides, Luke was freezing to death. It wasn't exactly the time for Ben to give a lesson on the history and traditions of the Jedi order so he kept things brief and to the point.

24. DarthLassic007

Nov 25, 2002
    He had more than one master, just like Qui-Gon did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.