main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San A, TX An essay from your Vice-Chancellor

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Darth-Hulk, Dec 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Hulk

Darth-Hulk Jedi Padawan star 4

May 2, 2003
    This is the essay I included with my profile, but I thought you guys might like to read it here. So here it is:

As you all know, I am a SW geek. I love all things SW. I did have the ESB bedsheets and curtains. I had the iron on transfer shirts. I watched the Christmas Special...the shame. How did I get so hooked? Easy. When I was five years old my father, also a geek, decided that I had to see ESB. At the time my family lived in Maryland on an army base called Fort Ritchie. It was near Haggerstown, PA. At least that's how I remember. Anyway, there were only 2 screens in the movie theater on base and both were showing ESB, but were sold out for many showings in advance. Being the military man he is, he packed up the entire family and drove us to Washington, D.C. to the multiplex there (which in 1980 was like 8 screens?). We had a picnic, saw all the monuments, and went to the Smithsonian, but all paled in comparison to the life changing event that occured to me at 12:01 am, May 21st, 1980.

Sitting in the at the time oversized seat (I was only five and not the hulking specimen of man I am today) with my 5 year old hands holding my soda, I was excited. The lights dimmed, the previews came and went, and then....

Lucasfilm logo...a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...and BAM. The music. The crawl. All of it. My mother years later told me that was the only time she had seen me sit still and quiet for 2+ hours. to this day I still get a full body tingle when I see the Lucasfilm logo. I didn't even drink one sip of my soda.

I believe I have such a deep love for SW because it is the last memory that I have of my father and I doing something together. My mother and him split 2 years later and I haven't seen him since. That one night is all I have, and I don't ever want to let it go. 22 years later, my mother (the greatest single person I will ever have the priviledge of knowing) sat with me and watched AOTC. I felt like I was five years old again. The music, the crawl, all of it. My mother always nurtured my geek side and always was with me at all the big movies and midnight shows. We talked about how much ass Yoda kicked and how awesome EP3 would be.

Eight months later she was gone. Late effects of hepatitis. I was so devastated. the woman who gave me the money to go to Celebration because she knew how much SW meant to me was gone. So for EP3 I am planning to see the midnight show, but I will buy an extra ticket, leave it untorn, and leave an empty seat so she can sit beside me in spirit. If you see me at the show that night and I seem quiet, it's not because I'm in a bad mood, it's because I am doing everything I can to not cry. I will need all of your help that night, because when the credits roll for the final time, so will my tears.

Marselles Coe
    Vice Chancellor

2. ObiJuan70

ObiJuan70 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2001
    Well I am sure that I speak on behalf of your friends here man, you are surely considered family by all of us that are a part of this group, through and through. Your humor, your dedication to the group and above all, your Friendship is well valued here Bro . . .

I am definitely looking forward now to see this movie with my friends . . . I mean my family.

Take Care

John

3. bustergundam

bustergundam Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2004
    Sir, do you know how hard it is to explain to your crew at work why you are crying, when you are not supposed to be looking at things on the internet. From a fatherless fan, my sympathy to you. I still have my mother, but I dread the day of that phone call. My mother took me to Return of the Jedi. The next day I begged until she took me back to see it again.

4. Darth-Hulk

Darth-Hulk Jedi Padawan star 4

May 2, 2003
    I had my babysitter take me to see A New Hope 37 times when it was re-run in 78. I was a happy three year old.

P.S.- My father and I still email and keep in touch, but we're not really close. You guys, as John said, are like family to me. I am honored to be among you and will never slight you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.