main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

An FX question

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Corrin_Wyndryder, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    I've Googled this, but couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for.

In AOTC, there were a few shots where the Clones were fighting the Droids in a dust cloud, and their blaster fire was illuminating the surrounding dust. I want to do an effect like that of two Jedi fighting in a fog and their sabers glow in the surrounding fog.

Any tips?

2. Darth_Bone

Darth_Bone Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2001
    Do you have real fog while shooting? If so you could somehow place a flourescent light near your sabers that illuminates the fog and later rotoscope it out.

Another method would be roughly masking out the fog and color balance it. I´ve never tried it but it could work.

3. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    Well, one of the fighters is CG, so that might not work out. And the basic plugin for volume fog in 3DS Max doesn't react to light.

The compostite mask might work... maybe... but I was wondering if there was a way to do it completely in Max.

4. Darth_Bone

Dec 29, 2001
    Well...I don´t have Max but in Electric Image you can animate an object, make it invisible and apply a glow to it so that only the glow is visible. It should be possible in Max to I guess.

5. Corrin_Wyndryder

Oct 17, 2001
    The masking thing might work, a few rendering passes, and it could work.

6. Darth_Bone

Dec 29, 2001
    Yeah try that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.