main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

An idea for new generation jedi for LOTF/post LOTF

Discussion in 'Literature' started by magneto, Jun 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Furyan_Jedi_13

Furyan_Jedi_13 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 6, 2007
    well obviously someones gotta train the Fel line whenever they gain Force-sensativity. if he marries a trained Jedi (Jaina, Tahiri, or otherwise) i'd assume he'd trust his wife and her close friends to let them train the kids, if not the Jedi in general. also, i'm betting LOTF is setting up Jag to at least be friendly enough with some of the Jedi to allow them to train his kids. probably Jaina herself actually...
    That would be quite interesting. Jag says to his kids "I'm sending you to the Jedi to learn about the Force, and one of them just so happens to be my ex-girlfriend". [face_laugh] Seriously though, it would be nice to see that they could still put all their crap behind them and all become friends. Jaina, Zekk, Jag, all of them.

i could see Jaina training alot of royalty actually. i'm betting on her training Allana unless Jacen does so himself, either as a redeemed Jedi or as a Sith taking over Hapes.
    I imagine that Jaina would be rather close to her niece, just like she was with Mara. So I can definitely see her training Allana. As for Jacen, I would prefer him to renounce the dark side first, but if he does do that, he could very well become quite a good teacher for his daughter.

But if he remains a Sith and conquers Hapes, that story does have some kind of weight to it, actually. He's training Allana to continue the new Sith dynasty, and they bend all those uptight nobles to their will.

Interesting.

2. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I wonder how long they'll have a plausible platform for young readers novels. To do such a series, you need a direct connection to the movies, not to a complicated (and dark) novel series like NJO/LOTF. Otherwise, the kids wouldn't know why they should care about the characters.

JA/JQ were pretty obvious as movie tie-ins, and I wonder of LOTJ actually managed to keep the readers interested (besides the obvious SW literature/canon freaks that will read most stuff anyway). We're moving away from the movies, and the series focusses on new main characters, which might not be enough. Glove of Darth Vader was an attempt at creating stories for kids before there was any need to place these stories into canon, and Galaxy of Fear... I mean, they had mains as decoration, but i the end I haven't heard about those in a long time.

Now, the best way to attempt a YR series would have been YJK, I think. You had the direct relation to the movie characters; you had said characters in places you could easily understand ("of course Luke's gonna train Jedi, and of course I know how Yavin looks like"); and you had the feeling that this was the start of something new, "something of your own". You had new Solos, a new Chewie, a new 3PO and even a new princess. The setting for a new YJK series would be much more complicated, with a whole generation gap to the movies and previous events that can't be simply explained away as "Luke's training Jedi and the Empire is still around". And in the end, I guess young readers would go for the prequel era anyway, as these are "their movies".

In the end, I think they need to do new characters, and Padawans would make not only sense but give depth to the whole Jedi Order. But seeing how the Jedi Order has become just a council chamber set to visit in the novels, it's the general problem of not doing enough in a series of novels that has way too much spare time at its hands.

As for padawan relations in an adult novel, I think that Betrayal (especially the opening) effectively shows how the NJO generation should have been written, and how it should have been given a new generation of learners. I never got why Ben was running around with Jacen as an "informal" Padawan except for dramatic "Jacen is sooo bad and can't be controlled" value. And especially then it didn't make sense to send Ben on missions in the first place.

I seriously wonder where they'll recruit Ben's love interest... [face_thinking] (and no, I don't think that girl from Exile counts...)

3. Furyan_Jedi_13

Furyan_Jedi_13 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 6, 2007
    As for padawan relations in an adult novel, I think that Betrayal (especially the opening) effectively shows how the NJO generation should have been written, and how it should have been given a new generation of learners.
    You mean the mission that Jacen and Ben undertook to Adumar? Yeah, that was pretty good. Kind of sucks how not long after that, everything just came unglued. (Damn you Lumiya!)

I seriously wonder where they'll recruit Ben's love interest... (and no, I don't think that girl from Exile counts...)
    Do you mean Seha or Kiara? Anyway, the future is an open book. A lot of people think that Jysella Horn would be a good choice, but we have not really seen her before, have we? So yeah, whoever they choose as Ben's love interest, they need to start developing her character.

4. Divia

Divia Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2005
    Scholastic isnt the only publisher for YA books. In fact when people say Scholastic I tend to think of grades K-6. There are many YA novels that are publishes by big house publishing companies so if Del Rey wanted to do it they could. Although writing a YA novel is a little different.

Has the YA market ever been tapped? I have seen books for younger kids but never teens?

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Not Jedi (though some of them were in the books) but the Boba Fett novels that came out between AOTC and RoTS were billed as YA. I read them and I'd say they were geared toward young-mid teens. However, I'm an adult and I enjoyed them!

6. Alpha-02

Alpha-02 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I enjoyed them as well and I'm enjoying the LotJ series at the moment, even though I would say they both probably fit the young end of the YA market.

7. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I feel like Leia should finish Ben's training. Sadly, however, it seems to be the policy of the NJO to only give padawans to Jedi Masters, not Knights.

8. browwiw

browwiw Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2007
    I thought a Knight could only achieve the level of Master by training a Padawan. The whole 'learn through teaching' schtick.

9. magneto

magneto Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    Yes by either training a padawan, mastery of the force, or through great acts or accomplishments. One extreme example is Yaddle going from Padawan to Master because of what she went through on that planet where she was trapped for 100 years.

10. saber_death

saber_death Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    in the OJO that was how it worked more or less, and up till LOTF it seemed like Luke followed the same idea. but they've made a huge deal about Jacen not being a Master and therefore not being qualified to train Ben. in terms of knowledge of the Force Jacen's as qualified as anyone this side of Luke, and the whole "mastery of self" that Jacen lacks is in theory something that training another would help with (i'd say it did with Obi-Wan for instance).

11. maralover

maralover Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2003
    i concur that we need some vehicle to add people to the roster. the good ones are getting far too old, and the characters njo added have been painfully neglected. i now realize that's what was good about the njo, is the new characters. i never read YJK and never will (essential chronology summary was good enough for me), but it was njo where they stepped into the continuity to me. i guess it will be hard now, because the legacy timeline is creeping up hard, so there's not alot of manuevering room. but hey, i'd be happy if they just got the roster added in njo more screen time...like dark nest. (btw, i do like lotf, just think it would be better if there was more down time focusing on others....but i guess it's jacen's story) hell, a stand alone novel dealing with zonama sekot and the vong (add tahiri, jaina, jacen if ya need big names) would rock; a mission with kyp would be cool (who's the new chick that likes his hair long?); i really liked the idea someone else mentioned about leia training jedi (allana, perhaps?)...there's a ton of possibilities just chasing the loose ends in lotf that have been scattered and never brought into focus.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.