main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

An idea I got about the Force

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BaronNoir3, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BaronNoir3

BaronNoir3 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2004

As I was reading the Legacy of the Force, something struck me.

The corellation between Sith and Evil is, well, pretty straightfoward. You don't become ''eeevil'' cause you are a Sith. You are a Sith because you are evil. The problem of a Force user, is that he can kill, mind control, and so forth. This power give great temptations. I'm sure that many kids in the Galaxy are upset because their moms wed again. Few of those kids can, say, force choke the culprit. It must take great discipline to be able to avoid using for casual things the Force.

The Jedi Code is maybe something akin medieval monasteries ''Règles'' : a code of behaviour (enforced an hell lot by peer pressure) to behave to avoid temptations. A monk wrote to avoid idle time. A Jedi may repeat the whole ''No anger, no fear, no agression'' mantra as a sort of prayer to avoid having such ideas.

By the way, the idea is hinted several times in the books : as a Jedi have no connections to the outside world (is supposed to....) he can avoid temptation. The whole idea of monasteries in the middle age was to provide a lifestyle that helped to shut down temptation...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.