main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX An important announcement, and a request for help....

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Kurgan1, Jan 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    I will cut straight to the chase here--the UA Galaxy 10, DFW Fanforce's official theater, is in trouble.

For some strange reason, the UA upper management has decided not to be giving the Galaxy all of the support that it so richly deserves. They are being passed over by all of the biggest films that are being released (Harry Potter, Fellowship), and only if people complain about it to UA directly, will this situation change.

The management of the Galaxy has asked for our help in sending UA a message that we find this situation unacceptable. If nothing changes, then the Galaxy may very well not get Episode II at all, which would be a real shame.

The Galaxy is the best theater in town. It has the absolute largest screens, and THX sound that is second to none. We have a great relationship with the management, they are all great people, and it was the site of our Episode I line. Naturally, we want to keep this going through Episodes II and III.

I know some of you don't see the appeal, and chances are, you haven't been to this theater yet. I urge you to take the time, and go see a film on one of their big screens. You will then understand why we love this theater so much.

So, I ask all of you to please, send a message to UA and tell them that you want to see Episode II and all the other big movies at the Galaxy.

Here is an e-mail address:

GuestRelations@uatc.com

Folks, I'm asking you to please follow through on this. There is a real chance that the Galaxy might not get the film, and if they don't get it, there very well may be no line for Episode II, as we have no relationship with any other theater, and your guess would be as good as mine if we could gain one with another theater. Needless to say, even if we did, the film's presentation wouldn't be nearly as good.

The Galaxy's mangement has asked for our help. I think we can give it to them.

Thank you.

2. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    Hear, hear! The Galaxy was the hands-down best of the many theaters I saw TPM at...best screen size and sound system, no doubts there!

'Soon as I can, I'll be sending a message to that e-mail address....

3. old-master

old-master Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2001
    We shall overcome.........
    We stand between the candle and the darkness...

4. Grand Moff Joker

Grand Moff Joker Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1999
    I haven't been to that theater, but I'd like to just to see why you guys all seem so impressed with it.

However, what I don't understand is that if the Galaxy has the biggest screens and best sound system around... why would UA not support it? Why would the Galaxy not get the biggest blockbusters, since it seems that the Galaxy would be where anybody nearby would want to see such films?

5. jango-joe1

jango-joe1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2001
    The Episode II Breathing Trailer was top notch at the UA....I hope they get Episode II

6. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    I can't speak for UA's decision-makers, but the problem with the Galaxy imo is that, even though it's right off 635, the location is somewhat secluded.

Word of mouth has greatly increased its ticket sales at times, though, as they had a big upsurge in business (esp. from people like me who'd nevere even heard of the place before TPM) after Episode I...

7. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    We really don't know why the Galaxy is getting the shaft. It's just one of those corporate decisions that no one seems to understand. Kind of like why MGM doesn't make all of it's DVDs in anamorphic widescreen. No reasoning, just a stupid policy. And the only way to counteract it is for people to make noise.

And like I said, if you haven't been before, it's definitely worth a trip. As of last week, Black Hawk Down was playing in number 5 and 9, so if it's still there, it's definitely a good test run. :)

I remember when everyone was talking about it before Episode I, and I was fairly skeptical because I lived in Denton at the time, and that's a full hour's drive (or longer). So, I made the trip with a friend, and we went to see the Matrix there. They also showed the final Episode I trailer. Needless to say, we were both blown away, and there was no doubt that the Galaxy was where we HAD to see Star Wars. Give it a try and you'll see what I mean.

8. DonnovanSunrider

DonnovanSunrider Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 2, 2000
    I just sent off my letter.

I can't be there for the DFF line-up, but I can sure do my part to help! :)

Cross your fingers gang, the Galaxy is just such a part of the line experience.

Donnovan
    (The DFF member up in the frozen tundra of WI)

9. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    Thanks a lot, man. We appreciate it. :)

10. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2000
    I will shout it from the roof tops: If you've never been to the UA Galaxy 9 you are not a true film buff!!!!!!!! The UA Galaxy has filled the void in DFW since Northpark shut down. The theater is beautiful and top notch, the screens are increadable and the sound is amazing. I've said this before, and I'll tell it again. For Episode I, Brad (our friend and projectionist) had the sound cranked so loud the concrete floors vibrated! It was unlike any movie going experience I have ever had. I was in Louisiana recently and saw Black Hawk Down at the local UA. The slideshow before the film had a slide singing the praises of UA, the picture they used was of the UA Galaxy at night. I told my buddy next to that that was the Galaxy. He said, So that's the infamous Galaxy you never shutup about.

Damn straight!

The Galaxy deserves the best of DFW. Not only is it a top notch theater, but it's good people! The manager and her staff always treat us good and we consider them good friends. Send out the emails. Shout if from the roof tops! The Galaxy is being shafted and it's time we return the favor to UA Headquarters. Let's shaft them with countless emails that it hurts!

One of you should start up one of those online petitions!

11. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    Thank you, Morpheus. Couldn't have said it better. :)

Petitions are always good, but let's not discount the fact that personalized messages are always taken more seriously. It only takes a second to put one's name down, but if someone has gone through the trouble of writing an entire e-mail, or better yet, a physical paper letter, it really gets the attention of the intended recipient.

So everyone, please, take five minutes to send an e-mail to UA, or if you really feel strongly about it, give them a call at 1-800-UA-UA-UA-UA.

Thanks, everyone.

12. stone

stone Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2000
    pre-ep1: a saturday night @ the galaxy meant maybe 30 cars in the parking lot, max.

post-ep1: times that by 6 on an average night.

why?
    because of us. we gave that theater the one thing UA seems to not do. we gave it media coverage and geek appeal. our line, and our choice of that theater to see ep1 created a word of mouth buzz and gave it "geek" respectability.

however, it _is_ in a crappy location, but not alot we can do about it.

BHD @ galaxy rocks.

........................stone

13. Oak

Oak Jedi Youngling

Feb 2, 2002
    i've been wondering why they haven't been getting a lot of the top films lately - this theater is basically around the corner from my house, and i've been getting a bit sore at having to drive to richardson or some crao to see a flick.

i'll definitely help send the word up to UA that we want the top-tier films there.

14. jedi_xtacy

jedi_xtacy Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2002
    Well, the reason why I haven't been to the galaxy is because most of the top films aren't shown there. I mean, how in the heck can business improve if they don't show the good stuff at the best theatre??? I did send an e-mail to the address and I hope that things change. I usually go to the Loew's Keystone, but now will start to go to the Galaxy as much as I can. I agree with Nabooty, the location isn't the best in the world. It's close to where I live, but traffic is a pain in the butt. However, I did see ep I there and it was awesome to say the least. Is LOTR not showing there?? If it is, then I will go there only to see it the next 6 times. Ah, Legolas on a really big screen....

Padme--Wanted dead or dead!

15. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    No, they aren't showing LOTR, which is part of the problem. They should be, but the upper management of UA keeps snubbing them. That's what we're trying to change. Thanks for helping. :)

And lay off poor Natalie. She's a hottie to the millionth degree. ;)

16. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    Bumping the topic back up...

And we have received word that some of our members are getting replies back from UA management.

If you receive any such reply, PLEASE forward the message in its entirety, along with any addresses it came with (and your name) to

staff@dfwfanforce.net

The messages people have been getting are somewhat strange, to say the least, so once again, if you have received any such response from UA, please forward it to us.

Thanks

17. THX_Jedi

THX_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    All I have received so far is the ususal...

"Thank you for you email. We will forward this to the appropriate dept."

We'll see what happens.

:cool:

18. old-master

Jun 12, 2001
    My response to my rather well-written e-mail was the rather standard...

"Dear Mr. Bregnard. (nice touch!)

I will forward your request to our film dept for consideration.

Thank You for your comments."

old-master has spoken....

19. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    LOL! Consider yourselves lucky. I didn't even get that much of a response. :(

20. jedi_xtacy

jedi_xtacy Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2002
    Yeah, what gives? I didn't get a response either and I think it's tragic that LOTR isn't showing there.

Yes, Kurgan, Natalie Portman is beautiful, but Amidala must die. I'm sorry, I think she is the reason poor sweet Anakin slipped into the dark side. All will be revealed...

21. DonnovanSunrider

DonnovanSunrider Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 2, 2000

Here is the response I got only a few moments ago, I already forwarded to the staff:

Dear Dan,

I want to assure you United Artists Theatres is doing everything possible to
    secure the rights to exhibit Star Wars: Episode II: Attack of the Clones in
    our Galaxy Theatre, Dallas Texas. To that end, I have taken the liberty of
    forwarding your emails to the president of distribution at 20th Century Fox.

Sincerely,

Michael Pade
    Executive Vice President - Film

Not too shabby!

Donnovan

22. old-master

Jun 12, 2001
    I just checked my e-mail and got a very strangle mail from a women named Wendy from UA. I have sent this e-mail on to the staff@dfwfanfroce, but the e-mail states...
    That she did not agree with me about Harry Potter and LOTR being the major movies of 2001, but that the Galaxy WOULD BE GETTING EPII! She went on to state that to line up on May 15th or early May 16th. And since this was not public knowledge to keep between her and I. Very X-file-ish. Check the mail and let me know! I will be posting the e-mail on here later this week.
    old-master has spoken....

23. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    Yeah, I guess the biggest box office draws of the year mean nothing to UA management. "not the biggest of the year", my posterior....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.