main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends An Improbable Mission (Qui/Mace action/adventure) Ch19 Updated 10/16/05

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Knight_Dilettante, Oct 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh that was great! Loved your descriptiveness of Qui's situation! Yay he's made it to another ship. Let's hope that he makes it safely to land!

Poor Mace :( Well at least he's being taken to the Temple.

Congrats on your award!! :D

2. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    Congrats KD! :D

3. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    WhoooohoooO! QUi-Gon's on another ship :D [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

Congrats on your award KD!! it was well deserved!~!

4. AthenaLeigh

AthenaLeigh Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2004
    All I meant was that you didn't really say how big the hole was so I didn't know how well Qui-Gon could cover it. I'll read the update later; I'm not in the mood for reading at the moment.

5. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    Leona I think readers should be able to count on posts without the bribe of awards. This one was just so difficult to get the images in my mind down in words for others to read. I'm still not sure I was clear enough. Thanks for the compliments. [face_blush] I do appreciate them.

Kynstar I think Qui-Gon's position is still fairly precarious myself. [face_devil] The image in my mind at the end there is of Qui-Gon just above the Asuvi's ship, not yet landed on it, but already grasping for something to grab hold of. Because after all, if he misses this ship he'll have a long time to regret listening to the Force. And thanks!

TS Thanks! I was quite surprised. And very grateful.

Layren Well, almost anyway. We shall see. [face_devil] Thank you too. And thank you for all your hard work on all those awards. You poor poor dear.

AthenaLeigh Ah. See that is good to know. That means that both sections aren't really clear enough. So if I rework this story I will remember to see if I can make that clearer. It was perfectly clear in my mind that the open crescent of the escape pod was only about 2.5 inches wide at its widest point and that the door was a circle that slid as opposed to being hinged. So Qui-Gon's side would be able to cover most of the opening. Obviously this is why I should try to get posts done in time to be beta'd so that I can work those wrinkles out before I post the story. Thanks so much for bringing that to my attention. Hopefully we are almost done with the overly clever visuals. Though there is no telling what my muse will insist on later on.

Another extra special thank you for all those who voted for this story in the awards. I am very grateful to have such wonderful readers. [:D] for you all.

I am going to be gone Thursday thru Sunday so I am going to get a post in before I go and try to have one ready so that if I am somewhere where I can get online over that weekend (which seems likely) I can post it. Upcoming cameos in one or possibly both of those posts by the way. Though, unless you all run away with your roles like Layren's alter ego did ;), they will be more like true cameo appearances.

KD

6. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    Well, all I can say for myself is I'm not good at dealing with small children who are sick. And I need a long stretch of quiet time to write these action scenes with no dialog in order to hopefully get them to the point where you see what I did as I was writing. Let us hope it worked. My daughter has been sick since last Friday so I am sorry for taking so long to get this up. But there was no way I was going to be able to write it until she got better. Now of course she is bouncing around like a maniac and I have the virus...

Again, an un-beta'd post because I think I have made you all wait long enough. Mace was luxuriating in his nice soft bed so overslept and will have to make his next appearance in the next post.

When last we left our heros Mace was riding home to Coruscant on a RepSec cruiser with the uncomfortable feeling that the Commander did not really trust him. And there we leave him. Meanwhile, Qui-Gon Jinn was jumping off the cargo hauler and hoping to end up on a small craft flying acrobatics around the larger one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

... positively sane. Qui-Gon's body hit the small ship, punctuating the end of the thought with the "oof" of air forced from his lungs. No sooner had he hit then he was sliding toward the right and back of the craft, pushed to slide down the slope of the aft starboard side of the craft even faster by the airflow. His hands scrabbled, and he swung his legs in a sideways scissor movement desperate to find something, anything to grab before he slid completely off the slightly curved surface. Just as his right leg slid off something into free air, only to be jerked back onto the craft by the airflow, his left hand found a small semi-circular cut out to grab hold of.

The impact of his body on the craft had not gone unnoticed by its pilot. The Asuvi was turning to see what had hit his ship. Qui-Gon sucked in a breath and ducked his head behind the cowling over the modified engine so as to be just out of sight and watched the reflections in the parts of the transparent cockpit canopy that he could see without making himself visible to the pilot. There was a comforting absence of flickering red lights. So he had not damaged the craft when he had landed. In fact the glow was a reassuring blue-green. But he needed to find some other handhold before the Asuvi decided to do some more fancy flying.

Qui-Gon's left hand had a good grip. His right was still reaching for a tie-down ring he had spotted, when his left leg, still searching for purchase on the craft, suddenly reacted without thought, leaping back toward his body, both hip and knee bending as quickly as possible. His foot hurt. It had slid down too close to the engine exhaust and nearly been badly burned. A precious moment was spent in drawing on the Force to make sure he hadn't damaged his foot too badly. He was lucky.

Qui-Gon grabbed the tie-down ring with the fingers of his right hand and then turned to watch where he was putting his feet. The left was still sore so he looked over his other shoulder for something his right foot could use for purchase. At last he spotted the handgrips at the top of the ascent ladder, about level with his knee. He was about to bend his leg up, sliding the knee along the craft in order to get a boot toe into one of the handgrips for stability when the Asuvi, probably in an attempt to get whatever debris was on his ship, off of it, executed an alarming snap roll.

Qui-Gon shoved his boot toe around and into the nearest handgrip as the snap roll began. He tried to keep his left leg pressed into the ship as it rolled and hold on with both hands and his right foot, curling the toe as much as possible to take the weight of at least that leg. By the time the ship was nearing the halfway point of the roll, his foot was losing purchase on the handgrip. When the Asuvi had flipped the ship so that the top was now the bottom and vice versa, Qui-Gon could no longer keep his boot toe jammed into the grip hard enough to take the weight of his lower body and he fou

7. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    LOL, good line, KD! I'm sure that lady won't bet away her entire savings now out of fear of having to return home that way!

Our Qui, so resourceful... [face_love] Liked the descriptions of the Osprey behavior; it sort of reminded me of the way dogs and cats play tag. And I liked the way the Force just sent him the message, "Let go." Meanwhile, Mace enjoys a well-deserved rest!

Very good! Get healthy, now. :)

8. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    I agree Qui is quite resourceful isn't he? A most excellent post. Your imagery is quite vivid and I could picture it very easily. I hope you get well soon!

Great job!

9. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Holy excitement, k-d, reading that last post was like being on a rollercoaster! Wow, loved the use of the Malastare Osprey, though she didn't do quite what Qui-Gon had expected. "Discount fare." .. oh my, after the tension of reading that post, that had my laughing like loon!!! I can just imagine the woman's eyes widening in shock. LOL!!!

Excellent post!

10. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Excellent work there! Loved the detailing! [face_love] Great job!! =D=

Can't wait for more! Great job Qui! *Whew!* Was right there with you! ;)

11. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    First I must once again humbly beg the pardons of all my lovely readers for once again taking so very long to post another chapter. And to make it even worse, I don't even have a cliffie for you this time. :( But I do have three cameos... :) Which I hope meet with approval. I have been sick pretty constantly for most of February. :( I just hope that the warning that came home from school, that someone in my daughter's class had had strep throat last week doesn't presage yet another bout of illness in my future. [face_worried]

Renata - One can hope. Maybe she's just there for the cheap food and shows. 8-}

Layren - That's good to know. :) I get quite concerned about how to translate that sort of visual action into words sometimes.

Leona - Yeah, I liked the Osprey too. I wish I could figure out a way to bring her back. But somehow I don't see Qui-Gon going for that kind of ride again anytime soon. [face_laugh]

Kynstar - I'm so very sorry you had to wait. I hope you'll forgive me. [face_worried]

And now...

When last we left our heros, Mace was sleeping badly on a too luxurious bed, and Qui-Gon Jinn had arrived on Malastare after ship hopping a second time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mace woke up with a start of surprise. Sitting up and reaching for his lightsaber off the side table in the same motion, Mace was ready when the intruder cried out again.

"Mrrraaaw," it said just before it jumped up on his bed. It looked him over with its ovoid eyes. They were the green of Master Qui-Gon's lightsaber blade. "Mrrrraaaawwaaaw," it said this time and then it sat down.

It was a kit. One of the domestic breeds common to Corellia. Mace put his lightsaber away with a snort of disgust at himself. The kit's fur was all white and grey stripes, like a Hoth thaigyr. Only neither its teeth, which it displayed in a wide yawn, nor its claws, which it kneaded into his bedclothes, were nearly as terrifying as a thaigyr kit's would be.

Mace smiled at the kit and petted it carefully. When it rolled on its back and waved its paws about in the air, he laughed and said, "I'm too experienced for that one, little one. If I try to rub your belly I know very well you will try to disembowel my arm. Since I like it as it is, I-"

A chime from the door interrupted Mace's conversation and he gave the kit a last pat as he called, "Come in."

The door opened to show Broccer standing outside the door, a concerned look on his face. Mace felt himself begin to grow concerned too until the concern on the officer's face faded into relief and Broccer walked in saying, "Oh, you found her. Thank you, Padawan Windu."

"Oh, I didn't find her, She found me." Mace answered as he stood up. "Actually, I'm not sure how she got in," he added, shaking out his leggings which had shortened as he slept, and starting to don his tunics.

Broccer waved that away as unimportant and walked over to the bed. He picked up the kit and held her so she faced him. "No more running away for you. You have to go into your gift box now. Don't worry, it is nice and safe, and," Broccer eyed Mace who was listening with fascination. Turning back to the kit the officer finished, "and I put in your favorite toys to keep you busy until you are opened."

He tucked the kit into the crook of his arm and a sleepy rumble started up. "Padawan Windu, Commander Galin asked me to wake you. We'll be landing at the Temple's large vessel hanger in fifteen minutes."

"Thank you." Mace said, buckling his belt over his tunics and checking the pouch compulsively to make sure the jeweled case was still inside. It was.

Broccer nodded and walked out of the room. At the door he turned and added, "If you want to come up to the bridge, turn right out your door go to the second hall turn left and take the first stairwell up two flights, or use the lift that is a bit further on.

By now Mace had finished pulling on his boots and grabbing his robe and shoving his arms into it, was finally dressed

12. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Ahhh more... nice....

Cute having Mace with the kit. On reflection he realized that since arriving on Malastare he had been attracting more attention from people than he was used to. Oddly, an unusually high percentage of those observing him were female. Puzzling. That right he's still wearing that skin tight overall,. Yes, most definitely a puzzle to me. Heh, heh ;) I could see Qui as a bouncer. Just a glare may be all it would take to keep people in line.. though he wouldn't be able to do his job for the hordes of women pestering him... I'd have to help him on that score.

Most of our clientele aren't as... I mean, you have more... I mean, most people we help are much too thin." Another women at a loss of words!! [face_laugh] [face_laugh] He just has that affect on females. [face_love]

I like Ath'lea, good pilot and how she winked at Mace's seeming distress. LOL! Mace made a mental note to look up times his Master had been on Dantooine. , That young man is sharp! I like how he thought of that. LOL!

Oh, it's me.. I mean Healer Leona?!? I like how concerned she was of Mace.. but that last line had me go from chuckle to a full out laughing/coughing fit. [face_blush] :p

Thank you for that honor k_d.

13. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Yay Cameo's!!!!

A most excellent update KD .. At least one of them is back home :D Poor Qui .. has to get a job to get clothes.

14. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Woohoo! A cameo! But I am so not the person other people turn to for help... :p Thanks, KD, that was really cool. [:D]

Excellent action, KD. Aren't those the toughest to write? You see it perfectly in your head, but to get it on paper is so tough. You did a great job, with Qui and the ship. Can't wait to see what the Council's going to say...

Shaindl

15. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Nah not to much of a wait ;) Loved the deal with the kit *warm fuzzies*

The winking of the Healer was hilarious! Great work!

16. Rick_O_Shay

Rick_O_Shay Jedi Youngling

Nov 19, 2004
    Another great episode! Keep them coming.

"Rick's Café Corellian" WooHoo - I detect an upcoming cameo :)

- 'Rick'

17. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I've finally caught up. I loved the Qui-Gon jumping from ship to ship routine. I could just picture it so clearly in my head - and yes, it would make a great movie!

Poor Mace,trying to do his best and having to hide what he's doing from a very intuitive Galin. I wonder why Broccer and Galin had exchanged looks - very suspicious!

You write action so well - it seems flawless and very exciting!

Great job. =D=

18. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    Leona Good, that was the reaction I was hoping for with that last line. I may not be done with her yet... <insert evil laugh>

Layren I had to have a job to get clothes. Why should Jedi just get things given to them for no good reason? It's probably one of the big scams for the con game types. "My name is Elan Sleazebagaano, Jedi Knight. I am commandeering your ship to get me home to Coruscant. Just apply to the Temple for return of your property. May the Force be with you." (Hmmm, I think I have a use for that idea... heh heh heh.)

Shaindl Whew. Glad I got away with that one too. ;) Can't wait to see what the Council's going to say... Me either. So far they aren't talking. Hence the distinct lack of a post at the end of all this babbling back at everyone. If they don't start talking by tomorrow, I'll just go on without them.

Kynstar Oh good. I don't have cats, never have, never will (aaaahhhhhchoooooo) so I was a bit worried about that bit. I have no idea why the kit wanted to be there. We may never know. Or at least, not for a number of years...

Rick [face_whistling]

Dianethx Awww, you say the sweetest things. Suspicion does seem to run rampant doesn't it. I wonder very much what is going on with those two too. Maybe we'll find out.

Now, a question for everyone: Since I seem to be completely incapable of a regular posting schedule on this fic :oops:, I wonder if anyone would like to be PMed when I update this story? Not that I necessarily think anyone is that consumed with finding out what happens next. But if you'd like a heads up, let me know here or by PM and I'll keep you up to date on actual story posts via PM.

KD

19. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    I"d like to be on your PM list KD :D

20. Rick_O_Shay

Rick_O_Shay Jedi Youngling

Nov 19, 2004
    PM me as you update please :)

-Rick

21. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    PM would probably be a really good idea since I somehow took a wrong turn on the top of page 5.

Well, I never said I could navigate!

22. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    Sorry, not an update yet. I hope to have one for you tomorrow afternoon or evening depending on how the next 24 hours go. I'll save replies for then too.

But it is incumbent on me, and my very great pleasure, to now post a congratulatory message to the winners of the First Running of the Writers Race

Third Place was captured by...

Indra =D=

Second Place was captured by...

DarthIshtar and Drabbo_Fett =D= =D=

And First Place was captured by...

duskwings =D= @};-

Woo Hoo to all the winners! =D= =D= Bravo!

Kettch says she will be doing it again and I heartily recommend to all that you try it out. It was great fun.

KD

23. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    Ok, PMs will be on their way as soon as I get this up. Yes, a post at last! This one is so full of cameos it ought to be a Love Boat episode. Hope you all enjoy them. And you can all figure out who is who. And I am sorry for the extended delay but in addition to having too much on my plate it turned out I had to do some actual research! :eek: I hope this post will seem worth the wait. I will do my best not to take so long in the future.

KD

When last we left our heroes Mace had arrived back at the Temple and was looking forward to explaining his arrival alone, and without the artifact to the Council just as soon as he was done at the Healer's. He's having a bad day. Meanwhile, his Master was sauntering along the streets of Malastare's main city looking for a café. Doesn't seem quite fair somehow does it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Qui-Gon had no difficulty finding the café. It was right where Shain Eh had said it would be. But finding the manager inside the loud café was another matter. Part of the problem was that the staff did not appear to be any differently dressed than the clientele. Either that or this club had an interesting take on self-service since he saw a man place drinks down at a table but then leave it rather than sit down. He watched a while longer and the man did not return so most likely was a member of the staff. Unfortunately, he had also disappeared as far as Qui-Gon could see.

The Jedi Master made his way to the bar, squeezing through groups of beings who were all socializing near the peak of their vocal capacity in order to be heard over the music. There was a stage at one end of the large room he found himself in, but it was currently unoccupied so apparently the music was some form of recording being broadcast throughout the room.

There was a human male approximately the same age as Qui-Gon himself working behind the bar. He was mixing drinks at an alarming pace. On occasion he would fill a set of tankards from draft ale pumps and then return to mixing liquors of various colors and clarities into alarming looking concoctions. He appeared to be quite skilled, but also appeared to be unable to keep up with the orders. Qui-Gon gave up on the idea of asking him where to find the manager.

The Jedi spent several more minutes working his way to the edge of the crowd on the dance floor in front of the stage. He stopped at a point where he would be able to see the bar if things slowed down but also be able to keep an eye on more of the club so that he could see if he could spot an employee.

His patience was soon rewarded. Walking toward the bar at one end was the man who had placed drinks down at a table at which he did not sit down. Qui-Gon moved to intercept him.

"Pardon me," the Jedi asked, "If you work here, would you be so kind as to tell me where I might find the manager? If not, my apologies for interrupting you."

The man flicked his fingers in a follow me motion and kept on walking toward the bar. Qui-Gon followed. When they reached the end of the bar, the man pointed to the bartender and said, "That's Rick. If you want something I'd wait 'till tomorrow though. The bartender didn't show tonight and as you can see Rick is not amused. On the other hand, if you owe him money, and you have it, go cheer him up."

"I was told he might have need of a temporary employee for a special dinner?"

"You'd have to ask Rick that," the man said cautiously. Leaning into the area behind the bar the waiter said, "Hey, Rick, man to see you." Then picking up several full tankards from those waiting at the end of the bar she slipped away into the crowds again.

The man behind the bar worked his way back across it until he reached Qui-Gon who asked, "Excuse me, are you the manager?"

"Yeah, I'm Rick. I own the place. What did you need?"

"I was told you might have need of a temporary employee for a special dinner?"

Rick looked Qui-Gon over for a moment. "Maybe, but that's tomorrow. Can you tend bar?"

"I have no real training. But I -"

24. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Poor Qui! Working the bar! [face_laugh] Yes his big hands could handle that many mugs I bet!

As the two women left the Council chamber in front of him Mace heard Master Tahn whisper to the other woman, "Someday, Padawan, your inability to believe in the existence of something that isn't fully documented in the Archives will be your undoing."

Oh that was sweet! Great 'foreshadowing' there! :D

Loved that history about the cuff! And somebody using it [face_thinking] so she'll be able to get a design perchance? How ironic if it turns out to belong to the Serenno family now! [face_laugh] But I doubt that ;)

And Mace :( poor kid... he has a good reason to worry for his Master... especially now!

Awww isn't she cute! [face_love] That was so adorable hiding to watch them spar! [face_laugh]

And Dooku stating once Jinn returned the three of them would demonstrate some techniques! Awww a softie indeed! [:D] Thanks for that! :D Made my day!!

Now this upcoming dinner sounds a bit more interesting that it originally started out as. [face_thinking] Something might juz transpire all right there! [face_worried] And now Qui is stuck in the freezer with her... and it's cold and getting colder *shudders* I truly hope they'll get out soon! Otherwise there will be icicles forming on Qui's hair and mustache/beard [face_laugh] ;)

25. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    I got off work early today and to my pleasant surprise there was a PM in my inbox :D

What a great post KD ... poor Qui stuck in the freezer LOLOLOL and Dooku being a big old softie .. I could picture that....being locked in a cooler with knight jinn.... hrm .. :D

Great job !!! =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.