main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

An in-depth discussion on the progression of a Jedi/Sith.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by BobaFrank, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    I'm not sure really where to start but this is a topic I've been wanting to discuss for awhile.

We know at a very young age beings are sought out who have a potential w/the use of the Force. We know about the training and how one becomes a Jedi but what is the ultimate goal?

Yoda and Palpatine are the benchmarks for the potential of using the Force. One for good and one for bad but in this discussion I really don't think we should talk about good vs. evil as much as we should talk about how close to the Force one can be, and what is the ultimate goal.

This is my opinion and take. Wouldn't the ultimate Jedi/Sith not even need weapons? Look at Palpatine. His knoweledge of the Force allowed him to use Force lightning and have no need for a lightsaber. Yoda on the other hand used a lightsaber though I'm sure he could do the same as Palpy.

I guess what I'm getting at is shouldn't progression in the Force allow one to not need weapons, and only allow their use of the Force as their weapon? Kind of like the ultimate diplomat?

I know that there is a time to talk and a time to fight also. It just seems to me that the Jedi/Sith if they progress far enough in the Force, wouldn't have a need for material weapons.

Example: In ESB DV deflected Han's blaster bolts w/his hand, not his lightsaber.

Comments?

2. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Vader deflected bolts with his hand because it is mechanical and protected.

3. BobaFrank

Jul 17, 2001
  4. JediMasterKitFisto

JediMasterKitFisto Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 27, 2002
    I think Vaders hand is made/protected by Mandolorian armor

5. BobaFrank

Jul 17, 2001
    Ok, maybe that was a bad example but I think you guys know what I'm talking about.

6. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

Lighsabers etc aide the Jedi and the Sith.

As their mastery of the force progresses, the Jedi/Sith rely less on their weapons. Ideally, the supreme masters should have no need for weapons at all and trust in the force.

Take the Emperor, he appears to have no lightsaber on him and walks around with a stick. And yet he can produce great power (ie: electricity) out of no where.

7. OnlyOneKenobi

OnlyOneKenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    I've always figured that the ultimate Jedi \ Sith would still carry a lightsaber, even though they probably wouldn't need it most of the time. I'm sure an uber Jedi \ Sith could stop a lightsaber blow just using the force, and retaliate - especially in the case of the sith. But the Jedi cannot use the Force for offense. Their only offensive weapon is the lightsaber. Just think - if Yoda did not have his lightsaber, he would only be able to deflect Dooku's attacks back at him and be unable to try and detain him. With his weapon, Yoda at least tried to stop Dooku. He wouldn't have been able to without it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.