main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

An Lah Shak Ranger costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Magellan_the_Cat, May 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Anyone got any good screen shots or patterns or anything to work from?

Any help would be spiffy.

2. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
  3. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    Thanks, but none of the images came out very clearly. In fact, most of the ones that even were correct were too dark or too pixelated.

Anyone else got suggestions?

4. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    erm... well, if someone wants to tell me how to do screencaptures from a DVD, I could get B5 Ranger pics for you.

Or someone else could do it. The reason I even bring it up is becuase I have B5 Season 4, and I'd be willing to help if I could figure out how to do it. But I can't pay mucho $$ for software. (gooooood stuff. yes. B5 rules!)

5. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    Have you tried playing the episode on your computer, pressing "printscreen", then pasting into a graphics program (photoshop, photopaint, paint, heck, even MSWord)? Don't know if it would work. Give it a shot?

Thanks for the help.

6. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    Hello,

I've been lurking here a while, but your question captured my attention particularly. I made a version of this in 1998 based on what Marcus wears. When I made mine, the only resources I had were the episodes on video tape. I paused lots and did some sketches, and also did a mock up of all of it before I made the final version.

More recently, I've found this site, that has zipped files of screencaps of the episodes. Maybe it will help you out. I know how hard it is to find good pics, but watching the episodes repeatedly gives you a pretty good idea of how everything looks and how the fabric flows. It's also a good excuse to watch the episodes again. Someone I know who has seen this in person recently told me that it was made out of silk.

I made the tunic from a straightforward top pattern and made a mock up first, adjusted it, and then did the final version. That was probably one of the easiest part to make. I made the collar and the v shaped panel removable (attached with press studs). I had a really hard time finding the right fabric, but when I finally found something, it was wool and very expensive. So, I had to use it sparingly.

The coat was made from a ladies plain jacket pattern, which I lengthened, altered the shape. Just look for something straight that gives you a good starting point for the shoulders and the sleeves, as the rest can be lengthed and played around with. The contrasting fabric on the front and over the shoulders was done as separate pieces and attached at the neckline and the front opening, and also sewed on with a few stitches at the back. I hope that makes some kind of sense. I have some photos of my finished version here
    if you are interested in seeing how it came out. Eventually, I plan to put more information on my site about how I made it, and actually re-make the underlayers... but I have a lot of projects going on at the moment.

Good luck with it. I'd be interested to hear how you go with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.