main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends An Officer and a Gentleman: The Private Journal of Malavai Quinn {TOR} DDC 2015 - Updated 6/15/15

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by SabyneAmberle, Jan 9, 2015.

1. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    Title: An Officer and a Gentleman: The Private Journal of Malavai Quinn
    Author: SabyneAmberle
    Characters: Malavai Quinn, Darth Baras, Moff Broysc, Lord Lycuneae (Lady Ceska Maalrus-Gammon), Vette, Lieutenant Pierce, Jaesa Wilsaam, Broonmark, other various minor characters
    Timeframe: The Old Republic (3643 BBY)
    Genre: AU
    Summary: What is really on the mind of the austere, formal Imperial officer Lycuneae picks up in her journeys? Now you'll know!
    Notes: Written for the 2015 Dear Diary Challenge. I have a feeling this fella will be fun to write.

When I was growing up on Dromund Kaas, anniversaries were generally one of two things.

They could be happy events. When my mother and father remembered the day of their wedding, it was seen as a happy event. They toasted with fine wine and food, and told all in attendance the same stories of how they met, how their marriage was arranged, and how happy they have grown with one another since.

Other times, they were sober, somber events. Remembering the passing of a great leader, recalling a particularly humiliating defeat at the hands of the Republic, even remembering a family member who had died...all of these were sad events. And they were marked as sad events, often marked by the sharing of memories, presenting of speeches, unveiling of statues...whatever fit the intended mood of the day.

Today is one of the latter days for me. It is a sober day, a day I should pause to mark in my mind, particularly as it is something of a milestone. Needless to say, this is not the sort of milestone I had hoped for.

Ten years ago this very day, I arrived on Balmorra for my first assignment. It was not by my choice, the choice was forced upon me. I had been court-martialed, made a scapegoat by my superior officer. As punishment, I was sent to this lowly outpost, forced to watch the Empire and the Republc battle for scraps of land like children squabble over toys. It is wearying to watch.

I would not normally think this of a former commanding officer, but damn Moff Broysc. Damn him with heat so hellish it makes Tatooine feel cold in comparison. He destroyed my military career, derailed all my goals and plans, and left me to twist in the wind under Imperial command. I can imagine his mocking laugh at hearing I was exiled to this pit. The thought churns in my gut like poison.

But I should not entertain these thoughts any longer. They will only serve as a distraction. I may not enjoy the thought of languishing here, but perhaps some good will eventually come out of it.

End Log.

Kahara likes this.
  2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I know pretty much nothing about this time period, so I'm sure there are references I'm missing, but it seems really interesting!

Great start!

3. SabyneAmberle

Sep 16, 2004
    There are probably a few I'm missing as well, but Quinn still makes an interesting bird to play with. Thanks, mav! And now, his second entry.

Has Moff Broysc's incompetence infected all of Imperial command? Am I to never be rid of his stupidity? Or is every irritant merely a reminder of my humiliation, a ghost I am constantly jumping at?

The new recruits the Empire deigned to send to Balmorra arrived today, and they are among the most inept batch of idiots anyone would have the displeasure of commanding. I swear one of them was picking his nose while he stood in some mockery of attention. After issuing a few stern corrections on his stance and his...habits with no noticeable improvement, I ensured he had additional fresher cleaning duties. Maybe that will teach him some rudimentary skills in proper military interaction.

What has the Empire degraded to, when one cannot receive competent subordinates? This must be further punishment for my humiliation of Broysc at Druckenwell. A simple request that took mere minutes to file with Imperial command took over three months to fill, and this is what I receive?

I suppose I shall have to endure it. If Imperial command wishes to squander their occupation of Balmorra by playing petty politics, it really should not be any of my concern. Except that any failure will likely be attributed to me in some fashion, even if I had nothing to do with said failures. I suppose that is the price one pays when they anger a Moff, no matter how incompetent he may be.

All of this is why I continue to be grateful to Darth Baras. Had he not intervened, who knows what might have happened to me after that court-martial. It is unlikely I would have simply been discharged; I would likely have ended up in prison, or even executed. I know I complain bitterly about my posting here on Balmorra, but Baras truly saved my life and my career. However, I also know that he -like most Sith- is not an altruistic man. He would not do me this honor merely out of the kindness of his heart; no, he seeks another tool, another cog in the wheels of his plans. I am satisfied with being that cog, provided my life and career are at least safe.

But how long before I tire of 'safe'? How long before I long for the days of promotions and starships, or traveling with the Fleet and engaging in battle? No, I cannot think such things. I have my career, my health, and a posting of my own. It is far from ideal, but I must content myself with it.

End Log.

Kahara likes this.
  4. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Good update!

I swear one of them was picking his nose while he stood in some mockery of attention. After issuing a few stern corrections on his stance and his...habits with no noticeable improvement, I ensured he had additional fresher cleaning duties. Maybe that will teach him some rudimentary skills in proper military interaction.
    Bah ha ha... Yeah, I could see a commander being less than happy with this.

I get the feeling he may tire of safe sooner rather than later.

Kahara likes this.
  5. SabyneAmberle

Sep 16, 2004
    Sorry to let my diaries languish, I was busy with real-life stuff. But here's Quinn's next log.

I begin this log entry with great news. This morning, prior to my meeting with other Imperial officials regarding the status of the Balmorran occupation, I received a transmission from Darth Baras. He spoke very highly of my work for him here on Balmorra, and informed me that his apprentice was traveling to the planet to accomplish an important task for him. I promptly informed him that I would extend the same courtesies and respect to his apprentice, Lord Lycuneae, as I did Baras himself. Although My Lord wears a mask over his face at all times, I could hear hints of a smile in his voice. I shall not fail him in this.

If Baras is sharing this news with me, surely this means something positive as far as salvaging my mess of a career is concerned. Maybe I will have the chance for a promotion, possibly even a transfer off this wretched world. I know idly speculating on this matter is both premature and risky, but my mind continues to wander to these thoughts. I had thought the last springs of hope dried up ten years ago when I arrived on this rock. But maybe there are still small wells of hope within me.

Bah, I so dislike when I think in poetry. So unbecoming of an Imperial officer.

In less-pleasant news, will this madness ever end? Will I never be free of the constant headaches brought on by running this decrepit little post? Or are my past humiliations to follow me like a festering wound, opening and leaking their poisonous contents when I am the least prepared?

After the meeting had adjourned for the afternoon, I returned to my quarters only to be greeted by a horrific sight. It appears one of the new recruits smuggled a Kowakian Monkey-Lizard into the building and released it to do its mischief. The disgusting little beast found its way into my quarters, where it wrought unimaginable havoc upon my personal effects. Countless items and documents are ruined beyond any hope of repair, while others may have a slim hope of being salvaged. The worst part by far? The little creature was able to steal my second-best uniform and make it part of a filthy little nest on my bed. After I chased it from my quarters in an attempt to capture it, I took note of the state of said uniform.

It is a complete and total loss. The stains and damage done to the material are irreversible. I will have to put in a requisition for a new uniform and hope I receive it sooner than I did this worthless batch of recruits. And when I assemble them, they will wish they were dealing with my master as opposed to me. Fresher duty will be the least of their worries when I am through with them.

But I should not dawdle further. There is much to do and to repair before Lord Baras' apprentice arrives, and I must take care that everything is in place and perfect.

End Log.

Kahara likes this.
  6. SabyneAmberle

Sep 16, 2004
    New update. Yay.

I must begin this log by admitting to a terrible mistake and personal failing of mine.

In my communications with Lord Baras, I made the assumption that his new apprentice was a man. In the past, I have assisted various apprentices of both Darth Baras and other Sith lords, and I can count on one hand how many of them were women. This latest assumption was a terrible error on my part, and I regret it deeply.

Lord Lycuneae is a woman. And one of great stature and power. She stands the same height as I do, with a build and stride that belie her great power. She seems both young and old; I do not dare venture a guess at her age for fear I will make a significant error. Her eyes remind me of the sky on Hoth; calm and pure one moment, only to turn threatening and stormy the next. She greeted me with all courtesy, and graciously accepted my apology for thinking she would be a man. I'm not certain most Sith of her station would be so merciful.

She is certainly an odd one. In spite of our relationship being professional -and in spite of my clearly being on duty- she persists in teasing me. It puts me in quite an awkward position having to rebuff her flirtatious advances. Yet, I found a small part of me relished the attention. It was a far cry from my days betrothed to my former fiance, whose reserved and delicate nature prevented us from having much in common. It was almost a relief when she asked to be released from her obligation after my court-martial; after so many years of holding my tongue and not speaking of matters she might find 'upsetting', I was finally free of all that.

Even still, there are days when I find I miss her a bit. I made some discreet inquiries and found she married a man who was just promoted to Colonel in the Imperial Navy. I am happy for him, yet I feel more than a twinge of jealousy. This man clearly has had friends in important places; while I have languished on Balmorra he has had every opportunity handed to him. What I fought tooth and nail for he has been gifted, no questions asked. To say that is not fair isn't the half of it.

Oh, that idiot Jenkins is back. When he was last in here, I made a small scene in front of Lord Lycuneae, lecturing him about his incompetence. What stupidity of his will I have to field this time?

End Log.

Kahara likes this.
  7. SabyneAmberle

Sep 16, 2004
    Blast that Jillins! I always get his name incorrect when not in the heat of the moment. At least he has proven himself a slightly more competent soldier than he did during our previous conversation. Perhaps my threat to shoot him dead on the spot has finally given him cause to shape up. One can hope.

Now I remember. Jenkins was the idiot who got himself eaten by colicoids last month. No wonder I keep mixing those two up, their levels of competence seem about equivalent at times. At least Jillins appears to be teachable, he has not made another noticeable error since our last discussion. That much is a relief; perhaps these incompetent idiots can be trained, after all.

And yet again today I am reminded of just how devious Sith can be. Lord Lycuneae, fresh from her latest victory, persisted in peppering me with personal questions as I briefed her on the Balmorran Arms factory. She certainly is a persistent one, I'll give her that. She seems to take great pleasure in teasing me, trying her best to fluster and distract me. While that small part of me is still quite flattered by her attention, the rest of me wishes to remain professional. She puts me in a very awkward position with her teasing. I believe my ears are still tinged with crimson from her flirtations.

And yet, there is a great beauty to her, a spirit and grace I have not seen in many years. The way her deep red hair rests along her back, the sparks her eyes throw when she focuses, or is angry, always cause me to catch my breath. I can only do so in private, I dare not ogle her when she is around. I rather prefer living, even if it is on this chunk of rock.

And so Lord Lycuneae has traveled to the Arms Factory. I hope for her victory...

What's this? I'm picking up a conversation. One I do not believe was meant for my ears. How is this possible? I do not have a bug on anything but....

The investigator. It has to be her doing. She must have a bug in Commander Rylon's quarters in some way. I'm hearing what she is hearing. I must work quickly to stem any possible damage from this breach. I will watch this investigator closely, and update Lord Lycuneae of her movements.

End Log.

Kahara likes this.
  8. SabyneAmberle

Sep 16, 2004
    Wow, March ran away from me. So I'm running to catch up. Here's the first new update, I'll post more shortly.

And so, my time on Balmorra has finally reached its end.

For my work in assiting Lord Lycuneae, I was granted a promotion by Darth Baras. I was further permitted a transfer to any position of my choosing. Once I received congratulations from my lord and she had taken her leave, Lord Baras reappeared to speak with me.

Apparently, not all is well between Lord Baras and his apprentice. Baras fears she will be too powerful, that she might pose a danger to him. For those reasons, he requested that I transfer to her crew and act as her captain. With everything I owe Lord Baras, how could I refuse him?

I thought it would be more difficult to convince her to allow me to join her crew. But a bended knee and a few promises appear to have been enough. Not so much for that Twi'lek -Vette, I believe her name is- who travels with her ; she keeps giving me very suspicious looks. I'm not sure if she thinks I'll turn on them or something else. I hope there isn't anything on my face.

No, I just checked. There's that mole on my left cheek, but otherwise nothing else. So I really have no idea what her issue is with me. And frankly I can't be bothered to care any further.

I should resume my checks of the ship's systems.

End Log.

Kahara likes this.
  9. SabyneAmberle

Sep 16, 2004
    I must say, Lord Lycuneae continues to surprise me. Ever since my time in the Academy, I have been indoctrinated in the idea that Sith are cold, ruthless lords who will not hesitate to use their power to get their way. To an extent, she is much the same. However, she is also incredibly different. Where many Sith hack and slash sloppily through time and place, Lycuneae acts more deftly, like a surgeon wielding a scalpel. Instead of killing everyone in a room for failing her, she punishes them severely, but allows them to live. I asked her about this before we landed on Nar Shaddaa. She told me that allies can sometimes be difficult to come by when one is traveling, so isn't it better to make those connections and prepare for the day they are needed? I admit, I had never thought of it that way. She does teach me a great many things.

As soon as we touched down on the planet, I remembered why I so despise Nar Shaddaa. At the very least, it is because the Hutts control the moon. Other than that, all I need to do to remember my disgust is to take a look around. Yes, it's a glowing, jewelled moon -one that nearly matches Coruscant in its shimmer- but that sparkle hides a great deal of rot beneath it. There are many aliens who call this planet their home out of necessity. They ted to be crowded into the worst slums, where they are hassled for 'protection'. I have never been a fan of such tactics, though my opinions of alien species are...complicated, to say the least. I only can hope My Lord finishes her business on this moon so we can leave as soon as possible.

When I am back on the ship, I should contact Darth Baras. There are...things he has requested I speak with him about.

End Log.

10. SabyneAmberle

Sep 16, 2004
    Ugh, real life is awful. But barring any more major busyness, I should be able to keep updating this.

My opinions on the mission are irrelevant. Lord Lycuneae came, she did what Darth Baras asked of her, and we are now departing. Of course, she did get a small dig in at my expense when I made mention of my desire to leave Nar Shaddaa, asking if I was really so fond of Vette. I refused to even dignify the question with a reply! Vette is...well, she certainly is nowhere near the proper standard for an agent of the Empire, let alone fit to join Lord Lycuneae's crew. But she and my lord clearly share something of a bond, as she flatly refuses to entertain the idea of removing that Twi'lek from this vessel.

So I shall have to grin and bear the annoying little thing. She often asks the most grating questions, and it's becoming increasingly difficult for me to properly deflect her chatter. Conveniently enough, her prattle dies down whenever Lord Lycuneae is nearby, only to start back up again the instant she leaves. Such aggravation is almost unbearable. I have been forced to pretend to be studying the various monitors and indicators in the cockpit, as a means of ignoring her ridiculous attempts to talk. I will not stoop to her level, that much is certain.

My lord has been sent to the Outer Rim, where a ship is travelling that Darth Baras wishes to have investigated. I know he has been keeping tabs on Nomen Karr and his Padawan, but is this the break my lord needs? Can this investigation lead her to finding her prey? I certainly hope so. I want nothing more than for her to be victorious.

Oh, I believe she is calling me. I should assist her.

End Log.

11. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Sorry to hear that RL is being a pest. :( But I'm glad to see you're updating here! I liked the way we got a peek into Malavai's really-annoying exile (nosepickers, oh my :eek:) at the beginning, and how he's coming to have some respect for Lycuneae. And that we see he's temperamental but eventually willing to work on re-training his "problem" subordinates and make some real progress there; perhaps recent events are showing him that he can in fact make a difference. :)