main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion An Old Republic Live Action Show

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Gen Rendar

Gen Rendar Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    1.) If they do anything related to the "Old Republic" era, I hope it is after Episode IX is finished. Ideally, I think from a marketing and story perceptive, I would prefer we explore all the threads of OT to their respective endings before opening up the universe to go into the "origins" of the galaxy. For one thing, it divides the resources and people involved, and it just works better if the focus of Starwars is on one major era at a time(IMO).

Another way to explain it is, if they do the "Old Republic," I want all the best people at Lucasfilm working on it at the same time, and honestly, that's very hard to do when they are working on Sequel Trilogy stuff too.

2.) If the "Old Republic" era is finally explored(re-expored?), I hope it is largely different from what we have seen up until this point. I really enjoyed the Knights of the Old Republic games, but honestly, the galaxy is portrayed way too similar to the current Starwars galaxy. (1000 years before the prequels and they have a Yoda look-a-like leading the Jedi council? Seriously?) If they do something with the Old Republic, I want it to be something new and refreshing yet logical also. I always thought the "Tales of the Jedi" series had a much better take on an ancient version of the galaxy design-wise.

3.) I know a lot of fans love the old EU, but honestly, I feel they should disregard the 30,000 year history of the Sith and stick to Darth Ruin founding the Sith Order 2,000 years before the Phantom Menace. In fact, I think more than anything else, this would be an opportunity where they should bring George Lucas back in to lay down some clear story ideas about the time period and lore. A lot of previous EU ideals can be used or reinterpreted, but I want to see something more original, yet faithful to the series.

4.) I would love to see a live-action series, but I think if done right, the Old Republic would be awesome as an actual true film serial. Even better, they should do a Film series, Live-action television series, and animated series also; I think there is more than enough room to explore the ancient galaxy.

darklordoftech likes this.
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I don't care how its done as long as its story is good and rev an is in it.

3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    TOR live action tv, animated tv, and features.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

what do you mean by features.

5. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    This show would be expensive if it ever came to fruitation, not to mention green screen overload.

6. Gen Rendar

Gen Rendar Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014

I assume he was referring the potential movies. "Feature" as in "feature film" or "theatrical feature."

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

I should have said an old republic show in general animated or not.

8. Robert Merrill

Robert Merrill Jedi Master star 2

Sep 23, 2014

I think eventually we will see something set before EP 1. No doubt about it.

9. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    I have posted this around other threads and I'm just going to leave my ideas for a Revan TV show:

Just imagine Season 1(and maybe 2?) of KOTOR would be the Mandalorian Wars. We could see Revan as the central character with a supporting cast including Malak, Treia, The Exile, Carth Onasi, HK-47 and maybe other original characters as well as antagonists such as Mandalore The Ultimate and occasionally teasing The True Sith who'd show up much later.

Seasons 3 to 5 could be the Jedi Civil War where we could see Revan as the Dark Lord to the amnesiac we first saw in the first KOTOR game, and introducing the game cast including Bastilla, Mission, Zaalbar etc. Season 6 onward could time-jump forward to The Exile as the central character gathering a crew looking for Revan as the True Sith assemble for their invasion in a later season.
    They did bring in Darth Bane...

KamenSentaiMetalHero likes this.
  10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    TOR executed the concept of the True Sith poorly. They have the Galactic Empire symbol for some wierd reason and there's nothing "true" about them.

11. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    Like what?

12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    (unrelated to the above post)

"The Great Sith War" and "Dark Ages" could definitely make for good shows. "The Great Sith War" would cover the war that Exar Kun led the Sith through and "Dark Ages" woud cover the Republic Dark Age.

13. cunningj

cunningj Jedi Youngling

Oct 5, 2014
    I am bit conficted about the topic.
    For me I view KOTOR I, II and TOR as all being part of the same series. The problem is the quality varies between them.
    While KOTOR I & II has great stories I don't know if seeing the story just copied from the game would be good.
    TOR has an amazing world and setting that I would hate to see wasted, but the story is lacking.
    I think the best option would either to make KOTOR into films and create a TV series to replace TOR, like Rebels replaced TFU.
    Second option is to make films and TV to replace the whole series.

Option 1 would canonize the series and get to see the great characters on the TV either live action or animated. But they would need to be heavily retooled such as KOTOR and TOR being 300 years apart.

Option 2 there would be less inconsisties and would have more freedom for creating story and new characters.

Option 2 would probably be for the best but I would hate not seeing these guys being canonized
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    Revan is far and away my favorite Jedi all time, so I am all for bringing him back. If they do venture into KotOR territory I hope they keep the same basic story, just a reinterpretation of it. In my opinion, I would want them to do a trilogy of trilogies for Revan. The first trilogy would be the Mandalorian Wars. The second would be the Jedi Civil War. The final trilogy would be the invasion of the Sith Empire.

The amount of rip off they did with SW:TOR from the Skywalker Period is just terrible. Any remake of that period needs to to separate itself stylistically more. Give it some familiarity, but don't make the Sith use Star Destroyers and Tie Fighters, and don't make the Republic use Clone Trooper look-a-likes. That is just bush league. The Mandalorians should have their helmet because that is a cultural tradition, but the other styles are not cultural traditions.

Honestly the Revan Period and the Skywalker Period are so far apart and unrelated you could almost make it its own brand. You have Star Wars which is the Skywalker stories. Then you have Knights of the Old Republic which is the Revan stories.

darklordoftech likes this.
  15. cunningj

cunningj Jedi Youngling

Oct 5, 2014
    One thing I noticed is that Satele Shan is supposed to be his descendant but looks so much like Bastille that she may as well be his daughter.
    Since its star wars I could definitily see them retooling it so she is and playing the dark parent card.
    Revan is interesting, but I would hate if the films just focused on him and ignored the other characters, because great characters is one of the strengths of the KOTOR series

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I was talking about the game not the real canon because he comes back in the game again.

17. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I agree with this, maybe even 100%. But I'd still want lightsabers and star ships in some form.

What I mean is, as interesting as medieval-style early Force-users on horseback who wield iron swords might be for some, I agree when you say, "give it some familiarity."

And for me, I think that largely comes down to at least keeping the Force, lightsabers/blasters and space travel.

Gotcha. I wanted to be sure I hadn't missed some hint that Revan was going to appear in a new novel, comic, or something.

But yeah, it's definitely pretty cool to see more of him in the game!

Still, as silly as it may seem to some, I have my eye on that canon prize. I say "Let's get Revan in the canon!"*

* And an Old Republic television series (live action, animated, whatever) -- or better yet, a feature film or three -- might be just the way to do it! :D

------------------------------

Hey, let me ask you guys, something. Now, I know some have already mentioned their preference, but just to kind of reset the question and collect it all in one place, if Lucasfilm were going to give us an on-screen Old Republic product, how would you most like to see it move forward?

a. Live action feature film(s) (standalone, trilogy, multi-trilogy saga?)
    b. Animated feature film(s)
    c. Live action television series (network for greater audience, or cable?)
    d. Animated television series (2-D cell animation or 3-D CGI, ala TCW, Rebels?)

18. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Trebor Sabreon

If they get HBO to do it I'm all for it. That network never holds anything back. Just imagine a Star Wars Old Republic series, but like; similar to Game Of Thrones.

19. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    HBO were interested in a live-action Star Wars series, mainly Underworld - but that series was based on current canon and elements from the old EU.

20. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    I think a great example of what I mean by that is the astromech from the original two games. It looked like an astromech, but it was different enough that it didn't look like a rip-off of R2-D2.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  21. JediFan215

JediFan215 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 31, 2014
  22. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Lol. It there's Jedi involved there won't be any at all.

And the show wasn't just about sex. The twisted politics as people learned to play the 'game' is good too. And you know, the fighting.

23. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    The live-action series was always aimed at a mature audience.

24. JediFan215

JediFan215 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 31, 2014
    TheSilentInfluence
    I don't watch it (if it wasn't already obvious) but that's the main thing you hear about. That and how everyone hates Joffrey.
    However, a show with the twisted politics and the fighting of GoT would definitely get me watching it.

25. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Revan looks to be back with a vengeance. Seems he's taking on the republic and empire , rather like how Maul took on the Sith and the Jedi(including Separatists and Republic).