main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

An Open Letter To The Good Folks at LFL

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Trip, Nov 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    The "villainous" Empire disappeared in Return of the Jedi, unless you would consider Thrawn, Pellaeon, and Roan Fel to be evil? Yes, there are the odd insane warlords, but the recent trend has pointed towards a more benevolent view of Empire.

2. SuperSaiyaMan12

SuperSaiyaMan12 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Thrawn still acted, at times, like his predecessors. And need I remind you of 'Dark Empire'?

3. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Palpatine, Palpatine. I hardly think that Thrawn was intended to be "the source of all evil in the galaxy" as Palpatine and his Empire are often portrayed. Also, would you say that the Empire has been portrayed as villainous in the NJO series? The Sith have always been the main villains of Star Wars, it just happens that they like to take over the Empire from time to time.

4. SuperSaiyaMan12

SuperSaiyaMan12 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    The Remnant tried to distant itself as much as it could from the original Empire. Pallaeon himself even said that the current attitude of the Remnant was distancing themselves from Palpatine.

And...I hate NJO, thank you very much.

5. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    My point has been made.

And I quite enjoyed the NJO myself, Legacy even moreso.

6. IamtheMaster111

IamtheMaster111 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2005
    Well, even more to agree with you on.

7. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    There's one great mystery that needs to be covered, either in a comic or a short story like those printed in the Adventure Journals, Gamers, and Insiders - Soontir Fel's story of how he ended up joining Thrawn and reuniting with his wife.

8. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

It's been done, JediAlley. The Reenlistment of Baron Fel, an unpublished short story by Zahn and Stackpole. NEGTC mentions it, about a year after Pestage got Krennelled. Isard, acting on Thrawn's desire, masterminded his capture. It was right after the Rogues "won a key battle against her," some 7 months after the comics.

The Rogue Squadron comics were sure to show it if they hadn't been cancelled. :(

9. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    If the story also tells about his reunion with his wife, then the mystery would be completely solved. But you put in the key word - unpublished. There's no way we can get that story, right?

10. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Pester the right people with a petition, it can happen. Why not?

11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Well, that one's covered... [face_whistling]

12. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    No offense, The Loyal Imperial but some of us LOVE TIE-Fighter and would hate playing a wussified Empire.

Let's play it "Brotherhood of Nod" style.

Imperial Campaign Options!

FOR BLOWING THE GOOD GUYS UP!

13. JaySkywalker01

JaySkywalker01 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2005
    When does this era take place on the calendar? 2000-1000 BBY?

14. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    It's worth noting that that's the tail end of the 1000 years in question. Kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel at that point.

15. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I heartily endorse this service and/or product.

I understand, to a degree, being afraid of trying new things, but it worked so well for Kotor...and we got a 1000 years of war.

Considering everything Luke did in the three years between episodes 4 and 5, imagine all that happened in 1000 years of war for so many people.

Also Sith Alchemy is a good way to infuse some more fantasy in the story with changing the tone like the Ewoks stories.

16. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    Yeah, I'm kinda doubting that the Jedi were enlisting children and throwing them onto the battlefield on day 1. Heck, I thought half the point of the "Jedi vs Sith" book was to show just how desperate and beaten-down both sides had become after a 1,000 years of fighting. Don't some of the Jedi express misgivings about the children being there as it is?

17. AdmirableAckbar

AdmirableAckbar Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2008

Actually, I believe it was Thrawn's plan, merely put into action by Isard. I recall Fel saying something along the lines of "it was too clever for Isard" or somesuch. Minor detail, but still...

18. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    The children aren't even fighting in JvS, at least not at first. Most of them get assigned to kitchen duty, and Darovit only goes to the front lines because he has Snapit's lightsaber. It's only when the last battle comes that everyone, soldier, non-combatant, and child alike is armed and sent to the front lines.

And yeah, Hoth hates it, and only allows it because they're desperate and to keep the Sith from getting Force-sensitive children.

19. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    Yeah, I think that DB:pOD had a comment about the Sith starting to think more like Jedi and the Jedi starting to think more like Sith. The War seems to have devolved from an idealistic crusade to an obsession. A good indicator of that was the fact that Farfalla went to "Recruit" Jedi Knights an felt he could bring a good number (200?) to Ruusan. This kind of tell me that...

A. The Jedi as a whole were done with this whole skirmish. Only those that felt their sole job was to rid the galaxy of evil by destroying the Sith remained. Letting them try to come towards the Core where the full weight of the Republic and Jedi would bear down on them would probably wipe them out easier....but for Hoth it became too personal.
    B. Kaan was foaming at the mouth crazy. He thought if he could crush a ragtag faction of the Jedi on Ruusan the galaxy would be the Brotherhood's for the picking. He seems to have forgotten that they were on the rim somewhere far from Coruscant battling the "Lunatic Fringe" of Jedi. Kaan's group seems to have been fighting Hoth's group for so long that he decided to omit the fact that winning Ruusan wouldn't win the war.

20. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    I disagree. I think the bulk of both orders was tied up on Ruusan.

21. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    Dark Forces pretty much says that Kaan has all twenty thousand (or however more remain) on Ruusan with him.

And for crying out loud Chuck, it's not Hoth who suggests recruiting children. It is Pernicar. And it clearly done under duress, for both of them.

(Along with Hydro's point that the children are assigned to kitchen duty).

22. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    "How could it come to this? We must let children do our kitchen duty! The humanity!"
    :p

The most interesting thing about this era would be that I don't know anything about it. Zombies?

23. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
  24. Guildenstern

Guildenstern Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 14, 2002
    where do we get zombies?!

25. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I feel there is only one word that will serve as an adequate response to this post:

BRAINS!

The Empire may have been conceived in the Naboo crisis and born at the end of the Clone Wars, but the Empire's parents started courting during the New Sith Wars.

While Fel and post-Darksaber Pelly are decent enough folk, Thrawn and the Pelly from that era were definitely pushing on the borders of evil, if not fully ensconced in it. Thrawn's been whitewashed since the original Thrawn Trilogy, given somewhat noble background motives, but some of his actions in The Thrawn Trilogy were definitely not those of a decent being.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.