main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

An Open Letter To The Good Folks at LFL

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Trip, Nov 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    I can see that for Thrawn--shooting the poorly-trained sensor officer instead of the trainer who failed? Or indeed, shooting an officer at all? But I can't name anything Pelly did along the lines of indecency...

2. Methodical

Methodical Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2006
    That's a good point. When Caedus kills a deck officer, it's because he's evil. When Thrawn does it, it's because he's a genius?

I don't get that logic at all. Thrawn is/was a villian, no matter how cool people thought he was...

3. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
  4. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Mostly complicity with Thrawn's actions, but you're right, I exaggerated his indecency. He was lacking in the nobility of his later incarnations, though.

I can at least understand the thinking. Thrawn used death as a teaching tool, rather than a way to vent his frustrations or exercise his evilhood. He DIDN'T kill officers who made genuine efforts, even if they didn't succeed.

5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Which, assumedly, is the difference between the True and Sith Empire's played out in the early EU.

Thrawn, Pellaeon, Fel. Imperials who believed in order. Let's not forget Pellaeon killed Moff's with seeming regularity (per Revelation, and Fel has been criticised for wiping out the crew of the Dauntless and retroactively, in the sneakiest move I've seen in the EU, approving the mission to save the Princess simply to save face with his subordinates.

*shrugs*

The only difference is the motive. And Thrawn, Pellaeon and Fel have more justifications than Sidious, Vader, Iceheart, Carnor Jax and Caedus.

6. ATimson

Nov 19, 2003
    It's hardly "complicity" when it's the law. And when your superior has his personal band of assassins.

Except, of course, when he did. :p

7. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    No, he killed because he was a rabid racist. :p

As for Pelly-- the man admires Daala. He's either a blind fool or a morally reprehensible individual. (I'm inclined to say it's a mix of the two.)

8. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Unlike Thrawn, we got to get inside of Pelly's head all of the time in TTT, and though he wasn't fond of Rukh, he wasn't following orders out of fear of him.

And complicity with unjust laws is still complicity with injustice. More forgivable perhaps, but certainly not good.

Name a time.

Bullpoodoo. Gamer #5 may claim otherwise, but that's not what happened in the books, and the Gamer article was wrong about enough other things that I think we can call it an error. Thrawn's reasoning is crystal clear, and racial bias is nowhere involved.

Yeah, I'd gotten the impression he'd managed to get some atrocities in during Darksaber, but since I still haven't read that book, I figured I'd leave it to someone else to elaborate.

Pelly got his act together after he became Supreme Commander, finding both his competence and his moral compass. Before that, he was a bit lacking in both.

9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Pellaeon wasn't complicit in any atrocities in Darksaber. The only think he did was attack Yavin, and Jedi (who were all still adult students at that time) are pretty legitimate targets. He even landed ground troops instead of just bombarding the temples to slag, so it's possible he was even going for capture, though I just chalk that up to KJA using ridiculously bad tactics as usual.

10. ATimson

Nov 19, 2003
    Far better than not complying with them, especially when it's a direct order from a superior. There are frameworks for not obeying illegal orders, but not ones you consider "immoral".

Cris Pieterson, shortly after Luke's (first) escape from the Chimaera's tractor beam.

11. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    I think jSarek would argue that Pieterson didn't make a genuine effort. He just kind of accepted failure because there was nothing in the manual about it, and so he didn't actually try anything.

12. ATimson

Nov 19, 2003
    Thrawn himself said that the fault was the training officer's, and not Pieterson's. Yet who ends up dead?

13. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    ATimson - that's because poor Cris didn't have pretty blue skin. :(

jSarek - The Gamer #5 article is in-universe, too. I just like its assertions. :p

Re: Pelly - in Revelation he's as doddering and evil as ever.

14. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Pellaeon was fairly put of character in Revelation, IMO. He went from a pro-Alliance former Supreme Commander to a rabid Imperial who was waiting for the Alliance to fail.

There were glimmers of Pellaeon's true character in the book, but overall it did not match his previous appearances.

Wait, what's this thread about? :p

--Adm. Nick

15. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Well, it makes sense when you consider that this is (if I'm remembering right) the first time in a long time we've gotten to look so deep into Pelly's sick, sad little mind. It makes sense that we'd see more of his true nature.

I'm not really sure. :p

16. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Actually, I didn't find it that surprising. Pellaeon's always been an Empire-Is-The-Best-Way pro-stability and pro-order guy. He was friendly to the NR after the peace, but only joined up with it once it became join or die and he decided that the galaxy's best hope for stability and order was the Imperial Remnant being a part of the GA. He likes the GA. It's working. Then it fouls up the war horribly, and he's terribly disillusioned with the GA as a result, and goes back to considering the IR alone the galaxy's best hope for stability. It's rather logical to me, at least.

17. RushinSundaws

RushinSundaws Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2005
    You'd think they might actually listen to what their fans want...but thus is life.

18. ATimson

Nov 19, 2003
    "What fans want" and "what a small self-selected group of fans on the Internets want" are not necessarily the same thing. :p

19. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    But they're not necessarily different either...

20. ATimson

Nov 19, 2003
    True, but I'd argue that they generally are, given how sales of books and the online reactions so rarely match up. (This isn't exclusive to Star Wars; I see much the same among the Star Trek novels as well.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.