main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

An Original Romance - index and discussion

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by spiritgurl, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spiritgurl

spiritgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2003
    I've been having all kinds of ideas for threads lately. :p

Anyway, I notice indexes/discussion threads for Sabewan, Ani/Padme, Han/Leia, and Siriwan, so why not an OC romance index/discussion? :D I'm sure there are others out there like me who make up their own original characters for romantic entanglements.

So, if you have a Romance fan fic that either involves two OCs OR an OC and a Canon character, PM me with the information listed below. (please read the directions carefully though ;))

The index will be in the next post. Please provide a link after "Title:" but to make life easiest for me do it this way...

[ link=URL of story]Name of Story[/link ]

Notice the spaces? If you send it in PM this way all I have to do is copy, paste, and remove the spaces to add it. This is one of the reasons I didn't really want them posted directly to the thread. PM me if you need help. :)

Title: [ link=URL of story]Name of Story[/link ]
    Author:
    Pairing: (names of oc/oc or oc/canon character in story)
    Summary:

Once your story is listed, you can also link back to this thread in your post. While this is not required, a link back is greatly appreciated and may help advertise the other stories in the index. ;)

To make it easy just copy and paste the below code into your story (be sure to remove the spaces before and after "link" or it won't work right. ;))

LISTED AT:
    [ link=http://boards.theforce.net/Fan_Fiction_Resource/b10304/16869204/?1]An Original Romance[/link ]

That's it. :D

Okay, this is also meant to be a discussion thread so here's my first topic for the month of September:

Creating a believable "chemistry" from scratch. How do you do it?

sg

2. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    Fics will be listed alphabetically under each catagory. If I get a lot for a certain canon character I may make a new index for that.

Original Character Romances

Title: I Shall Believe
    Author: LaYa_
    Pairing: Laya Skywalker/Jayden Solo
    Summary: This is an ESB AU, that tells the story of many characters, especially Laya and Jayden. After three years with the Rebellion and after three years escaping from the Empire, Laya has now to face some ghosts from her past... and also has to face another thing: the love that Jayden Solo, Jedi Knight, feels for her.

Title: Last Stop
    Author: Commander Conrad
    Pairing: Kenos Ossinian/Jasila Volova
    Summary: Though the Yuuzhan Vong have surrendered, many warriors have chosen death over shameful defeat. Kenos Ossinian and Olar Lusak, two soldiers who had been fighting the war since day one, are given their last mission before retirement. It will prove to be a test of their meddle, however, as they find themselves surrounded by enemies and cut off from all help.

Title: My Dearest Merida: Love Letters from the Front
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Pairing: OC/OC
    Summary: A Nubian soldier fighting in the Clone Wars and his bride exchange letters. The events breaking apart the galaxy are seen through their eyes

Original Character/Canon Character Romances

Title: The Force That Binds
    Author: spiritgurl aka Liz
    Pairing: Nahlia/Obi-Wan
    Summary: This is a long saga beginning with Episode I Knightshift. In the first episode, padawan Obi-Wan seeks out a young waitress from Coruscant named Nahlia after he has a vision of her death. He befriends and falls in love with this girl against the wishes and warnings of his mentor Qui-Gon.

Title: The Oidhche et Fàiredàn Trilogy, Book II: Moment Of Weakness
    Author: DantanaSkywalker
    Pairing: Jagged Fel/Katrael Skywalker
    Summary: Sequel to "Aftershock". Six years have passed since the defeat of the Yuuzhan Vong. Katrael Skywalker, now a grown woman, struggles to find herself.

3. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I have several stories with OC/Oc pairings, most of them set during the Rebellion, but one very great pair from the old Jedi Order. My method is to base it a lot on either my ideals of romance or personal experience. I need to write one now that I'm married. I'll send you a link to the story I can still find.

4. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    :cool: Yeah, I'd rather the links get PMed and leave the thread for discussion. :) If it's part of a long series, btw, like mine is, I just need the link to the first part.

sg

5. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Question: Do the OC's need to be the main characters? I do have a story where there are two OC's that are a couple but they are not the main characters. I just wanted to asked.

As for getting the chemistry. I always saw them as growing up together and with their choosen profession they are always together and getting into and out of dangerous situations. I basically based it on what I believe, not so much my own experiences. I don't have a boyfriend. Haven't ever had one in all my 23 years. I guess it works. My readers seem to like them.

6. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    They should be the main characters, yes. Sorry. :(

sg

7. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003
    I am working on a story which is a continuation of a story I already started about a young girl named Syl who has lived in poverty all her life and meets Aayla Secura and critizes the Jedi for not being in touch with the 'real' people then meets and idealistic young padawan and makes him think about his ideals.

I think the chemistry between my two characters isa that they are so different. Syl is not self absorbed but she looks out for number one before anyone else. She doesn't understand why the padawan has so much faith in people and his morals. I think the chemistry is that two very different people meet and boom their differences rub each other the wrong way.

8. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    Well, I'm the middle of working on this story where there are two characters who are attracted with each other, but each has issues and secrets that get in the way. The romance is taking a back seat to the plot of the story. Like way way way in the back seat, but hopefully I'll be fixing that.

I've been working on the chemistry between the two characters. Part of the attraction is that there is a great deal of mystery surrounding Rel, and Dev's really attracted to that. He's trying to figure who she is, what she does for a living (she's really a Jedi Padawan), but she's always pulling back. It isn't until she disappears that he really starts to examine his feelings, and why he's so attracted to her. Hopefully they'll end up together, 'cause they're so much fun to write, but I'm not sure yet :p [face_mischief]

Hope that makes any sense ;)

~LtJS @};-

9. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    *bump* Anybody else want their story listed? :(

sg

10. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    I will when I start posting :p

~LtJS @};-

11. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    ;)

added Last Stop by Commander Conrad to the Oc/oc romance list

sg

12. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I guess I base a lot of the chemistry on personal experience. My hubby and I had chemistry from the moment we met and it's only gotten better. So, I like to bring that into my stories. I love stories that have "old" married couples {like us) still crazy about each other and chasing each other around the house.

I think for some people, you KNOW there's chemistry there and it's almost impossible not to act on it in some way. I like to have characters that recognize the spark that's there, but have to decide what to do with it.

13. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    Added I Shall Believe and My Dearest Merida: Love Letters from the Front to the index. :)

I love stories that have "old" married couples {like us) still crazy about each other and chasing each other around the house.

I agree it's both a romantic and fun element to bring into a story. Just because couples are happy together or married doesn't mean things have to get boring. :p

sg

14. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    I just started a story that will have some OC/Cannon character romance, but I won't post it here till we actually get to the romance. ;)

Great idea thought spiritgurl!

:Targeter:

15. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    Thanx Targeter. :)

sg

16. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
  17. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
    The SMOOCH thread is going to be doing a mush related challenge for those interested. Check the thread for more details. :)

And how about a new topic? :) For those of you writing OC/OC romance, do you find it difficult to get people to read those when many may prefer romances with the established characters involved? Why or why not? Any ideas or tips on getting more readers for Original character stories?

sg

18. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
  19. PadawanRoo

PadawanRoo Jedi Master star 1

Aug 7, 2003
    The thing about OC stories is that no one wants to risk it. Mary-Sue and her kin have cast a dark pall over the OC story-- especially when it coems to romance, and eto an even greater degree when it comes to a cc/oc romance.

Combatting this very real and natural fear is difficult, and involves building up trust and establishing a rapor with one's readers-- easier, of course, if you have other works that have been reasonable successful, because their readers will be more inclined to trust you, but it can also be done with one heck of a hook in the opening paragraphs.

It's important in a story like this, where you're asking people to take a leap of faith and assume you aren't like the many many piles of chaff written along vaguely similar lines, to banish as best you can other elements that might drive people away (grammar/syntax: OTP).

(I was going for snotty documentary host. Did I come across as a snotty documentary host?).

20. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    My first fic on these boards is huge, and there is a little bitty bit of romance between my OC, Kali, and Kyp Durron that sorta-kinda just happened (wasn't planned).

My next fic that I just started will be a Ben Skywalker / OC pairing. The OC doesn't show up for a while, and she certainly isn't Mary Sue caliber (scored a 3 on litmus test - romantic relationship with canon character, in early twenties, is somewhat beautiful), so hopefully some people will be interested in it. After all, there very few (if any) canon characters to go around that are Ben's age. I won't have it listed here until she actually appears in the fic.

Pairing Ben with an OC is probably easier than other characters because of the lack of any canon-defined 'ship for him.

21. PadawanRoo

PadawanRoo Jedi Master star 1

Aug 7, 2003
    Very good point.

I think that applies a lot to more sideline characters-- you're more likely to get away with pairing someone like Ben Skywalker, or one of Ani's little friends from EP 1, with an OC than you are with, say, Luke.

Personally I think minor characters are more fun for the same reason I like OCs: you can put a lot more into it as far as characterization. there's a lot more left up to you.

22. spiritgurl

Jul 6, 2003
  23. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    I think that applies a lot to more sideline characters-- you're more likely to get away with pairing someone like Ben Skywalker, or one of Ani's little friends from EP 1, with an OC than you are with, say, Luke.

And you don't have to dodge things being thrown at you for breaking up a reader's favorite 'ship. :D

Personally I think minor characters are more fun for the same reason I like OCs: you can put a lot more into it as far as characterization.

Exactly. I'm going for that myself with Cruel Honor, so that characterization is all up to me... including Ben! Characterization has never really been one of my strong suits (hence the reason for making myself do it), so we'll see how it goes.

24. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    After all, there very few (if any) canon characters to go around that are Ben's age.

Jysella Horn. That is, she's four years older than him. I think.
    :eek: Ben/Jysella?! No~

*banishes fic idea*

I have an OC relationship sort of writing itself in TRI. . . It's not with main characters, though, so people aren't reading it for that, but I'm finding myself more and more obsessed with writing it well...

Chemistry, I suppose, I'm a fan of the sarcastic banter kind of thing. If a guy and a girl are arguing all the time, being sarcastic and uncomfortable around each other, it just always screams 'SHIP!!! at me. I guess that's what I'm doing with mine..

25. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Unlocked and upped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.