main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - OT An Outer Rim Assignment

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Nessie MacGilligan, Jun 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nessie MacGilligan

Nessie MacGilligan Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2016
    So it's my first post here. I've been thinking about this kind of story for a while. I'll start with the main character.

I tried to think of a vaguely Scottish sounding name like Nessie MacGilligan, then shorten it. So the main character's name is Ness Gillac. He's a human from one of the core or mid-rim worlds. Coming from a long line of space captains, he was brought up with a traditional military sensibility. He served as a cadet aboard a Venator in the last days of the Clone Wars. After serving as an officer in the Imperial navy for several years, he was given command of a newly commissioned Nebulon-B frigate. Once he had recruited enough officers sympathetic to the rebellion, he defected to the rebel alliance and took his ship with him.

His frigate was not the same ship where Luke got his new hand. In fact, I'm not even sure he and Luke were ever formally introduced. He was present at the battle of Endor and Jakku - where his ship was destroyed though he and most of his crew managed to escape. His old ship is now fodder for the scavengers.

After the formation of the New Republic, Gillac is given a new assignment. He is to command a mission to a remote sector in the Outer Rim, or maybe even beyond the Outer Rim. His mission is to establish and maintain a New Republic presence in this sector. His duties are to support Republic allies, preserve law & order, and prevent the sector from falling under the influence of criminal or extremist entities.

To meet the demands of the mission, he is given command of a Star Destroyer. The New Republic ended up with thousands of them by the end of the war, and they scrapped some, sold some to systems and organizations willing to pay, sold more on the condition that they be scrapped, and kept some for the New Republic Fleet. The ship would be repainted to reflect the new management, something like this. The interior would also be altered to break up the monotony enforced by Imperial doctrine. It would have a full complement of fighters and bombers, though fewer than an Imperial complement as they can't be stored away as neatly as TIE fighters. The AT-AT and AT-ST hangars would instead be used to house larger transport and support craft. All of this would allow the ship to serve as a base for the Republic in this sector.
    In addition to Gillac, the main characters would include:
    -A republic intelligence officer
    -The security/combat officer, a Twi'lek from Ryloth whose whole life has been war
    -Flight deck officer
    -Chief engineer
    -One Imperial veteran, the former sensor officer aboard the Avenger under Needa, and would be the only character connected to the movies

I imagined some possible plotlines could include:
    -Finding out the hard way why Imperial procedure required dumping all garbage before a hyperspace jump
    -"Anyone care to explain what a rancor's doing on my flight deck?"
    -trying to settle disputes between the leaders of different worlds in the sector
    -dealing with a resurgent Zygerrian slave empire
    -And then an organization like the Zann consortium looking to this sector to set up a base to establish their own criminal empire to rival the Hutts, with Gillac and his crew being the only thing in their way.
    An important thing I wanted to keep in mind is that this doesn't focus on Jedi or lightsabers or any of that. I also don't want it to be all connected to the main characters. The only named character from the movies would be Admiral Ackbar, giving him the assignment in the first installment but that's it. My main self-criticism is that it sounds too much like Star Trek.

So, tell me what you think!

Mod edit: Locking as this is not a story.

gaarastar58 and Ewok Poet like this.
  2. Jedi_Perigrine

Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2008
    It looks interesting! I'd read it. The only catch is, you gave away the whole plot! ;)

Also, you've posted this in the story section. This would probably belong in the Fan Fiction Writer's Resource, where it might get a few more passes with a critical eye.

My suggestion is to crack out a first chapter and post it here. It doesn't have to be too big, or perfectly written. We just request that it's literate, and you've proven that you can do that already with the coherence of your request. :) You can contact me directly via PM if you'd like, or post on the Writer's Resource. Generally people are helpful.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  3. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Everything they said before me - and since I didn't look at the plot again for a week, my suggestion is to clear out this post alltogether before anybody else sees the plot.

Jedi_Perigrine likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.