main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends An SST/NJO crossover (A/T, J/D(SST + SW), J/J) Updated 4/4

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Star-Lead, Mar 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Star-Lead

Star-Lead Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 22, 2003
    Starship Troopers: Operation Vong hunt

Author?s notes: Basically, the Valley Forge lands in the SW galaxy and busts heads.

Deep space.

High above the planet Coruscant, a battle cruiser, unlike any this galaxy has seen before, drifted peacefully, in stark contrast to the drama being played out within.

?Gossard, what do you mean we?re lost?!? Carmen Ibanez roared.

Jeff Gossard, the unlucky recipient of his senior officer?s wrath, raised his hands in a defensive gesture ?We jumped without proper nav calculations. I wasn?t exaggerating when I said we could be thrown anywhere.?

Carmen muttered something that sounded like ?incompetent techie? and turned to the screen set into her command chair ?Miss Chambers, I hope you have better news for me.?

Rebecca?s hazel eyes belayed some of her worry ?I?m afraid not. If we?d gotten to the kid even a minute later, then he wouldn?t be breathing. As it is, he?ll be in the regeneration tank for a week at the least before he can move unaided.?

Carmen nodded slowly ?Keep my information up-to-date then. Bridge out.? She looked at the assembled Fleet and MI officers ?Now, can we engage star-drive? And, if so, where can we set course for??

Ensign DeSilva, navigation chief, punched up a three-dimensional hologram of a blue-green jungle world with something like seventy ships in orbit around it ?This planet is Borlieas, in the Pyria system. We should be able to go there in safety and repair and rearm.?

Carmen nodded ?All hands, stand to battle stations and prepare to repel boarders.?

A minute later, the Valley Forge pirouetted and lanced into star-drive, leaving a small Yuuzhan Vong fleet blinking stupidly in its wake.

General Wedge Antilles sat at his duty station and watched the incoming freighters.

It was all fairly routine, so when a thousand meter long heavy cruiser appeared out of nowhere, Wedge very nearly shot out of his seat in shock.

As the strange ship manoeuvred ponderously into docking position with the Redemption, an old medical frigate, a radio system transmission went out over almost every fleet channel ?This is Captain Carmen Ibanez, of the Federal Fleet, to medical ship Redemption. We have a critically injured man onboard and we need to transfer him to a dedicated medical ship at once. If you can hear me, position your ship for docking.?

Wedge activated the ground-side com-link ?Luke, I think you?d better get up here. And bring Jaina and Jacen.?

An hour later, the med techs confirmed the identity of the mysterious patient as Anakin Solo, in a coma and critically injured, but alive nonetheless.

The three Jedi in the room were trying to deicide what to tell everyone in the NR, when a belated, but extremely welcome, guest arrived.

Tahiri could scarcely believe it. Anakin was still alive, and he was here, at Borlieas. It didn?t matter that he was hurt. All that mattered was that he was alive and healing.

Two of the people she didn?t recognise introduced themselves. One, a tall young woman with reddish-brown hair and bright, hazel eyes, smiled at her ?I?m guessing that you are Tahiri Veila. Blonde hair, green eyes, three scars on your forehead. My names Rebecca Chambers, and I think you are quite lucky to have such a devoted boyfriend. I think maybe you are reason he stayed alive.?

The raven-haired older woman laughed shortly ?Now, now Rebecca. Don?t embarrass our young friend. I?m Carmen Ibanez young lady, and I hope we?ll be of service to you in the future. Now if you?ll excuse me, I have to get back to my ship.?

Carmen walked purposefully towards the door as Rebecca knelt down next to Tahiri ?You know, I?ve heard that talking to people who?ve been injured like this can help bring them round. Maybe you should try it. Oh, and I know who you are, because I?m a psychic. I kind of couldn?t help reading his mind. You see, when you?re trying to convince someone that they?d be better off alive than dead, you tend to pick up memories that have some special significance. Almost everything I got

2. Jedi_Knight_Satine

Jedi_Knight_Satine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2002
    Cool start. I really like how you have Anakin back. You gotta continue this.

3. Star-Lead

Feb 22, 2003
    Operation VH chapter 2(Just for you JKS)

Aboard the medical frigate Redemption, long used as target practice in the infamous ?Redemption? scenario, Anakin Solo sat deep in meditation.

All he was thinking about was what would change, now that he?d cheated death a major prize. The Roughnecks had found him, two weeks ago, when he?d been on the dividing line between live and death, and Carl Jenkins, an extremely powerful Force sensitive, had pulled him back to live, back to his family, back to Tahiri.

He noticed, despite the deep trance, when Master Skywalker entered the room, filled with apprehension.

?What?s wrong, Uncle Luke??

?I have a message for you from the Roughnecks. They?re extending an offer of membership to you, Tahiri, and a Jedi who just arrived here, a Twi?Lek named Raeil Secura. They seemed impressed by some of your past exploits, Yavin 4 in particular. According to Lieutenant Rico, you have all the qualities of a Mobile Infantryman: an unwillingness to accept defeat, devotion to your companions that extends to you being willing to die for them, knowing your limitations, and understanding that you aren?t invincible.?

Anakin nodded ?I?ll think about it. I owe them a lot. But I?m not sure.?

Johnny Rico looked over the simulator results from the Jedi and NR military personnel.

All of them were reasonable, but only three were up to the exacting standards of the Roughnecks: Anakin Solo, Tahiri Veila, and a Twi?Lek named Raeil Secura. All three had been offered membership in the Roughnecks but only Secura had responded as yet. He hoped Veila and Solo would give the job a chance, they had out-done him and Dizzy on the sims.

Dizzy. Thinking about her brought back unpleasant memories. A frantic battle through the tunnels on Earth. Running straight into a bug ambush that claimed the life of the one person he cared about. Holding Dizzy in his arms as she told him the one thing he?d always wanted to hear, that she loved him, that she didn?t blame him for leading them into the ambush, that it wasn?t his fault she was dying. That day replayed itself over and over in his mind. He didn?t know why she?d taken that hit. It was meant for him.

Carl strode into the office, looking pleased and worried at the same time ?I just got responses from Solo and Veila. They?ve agreed to join us. And, Johnny, don?t blame yourself for Dizzy?s death. She was important to all of us, and we all felt a measure of responsibility for what happened. I should have been paying more attention as well. I could have seen the bugs, and warned everyone.?

Johnny looked at his long-standing friend ?You don?t understand Carl. She died just after telling me she loved me. That just doesn?t feel right. It hurts more than anyone else can understand, except you, and then only ?cause you can read my mind. Anyway, we need two others for the mission: Jacen Solo and Danni Quee. Their expertise is important, because Solo has more knowledge of wildlife than any of us can claim, and Danni has the scientific knowledge required for our mission. If they want to join the Roughnecks after this, then it?s their choice. We?re headed for Sigma Octanus, a remote ocean world on the outer rim. Our POA is to find out why there has been no contact from the NRI listening post there in the last few days. It is well outside the war-front, so the Vong can?t be responsible. Brief everyone. We arrive and drop in six hours. All except you, Carmen wants you to keep in psychic communication with the other units on the planet. She doesn?t trust any of the other special talents.?

?Fine. And Johnny, trust me on this, you?d better talk to someone about these nightmares. It?s gonna hurt more if you don?t talk than if you do.?

?Fan out and search the area. I want all the intel we can get. Move!?

The Roughnecks responded like the elite troops they were, moving in a two-by-two cover formation towards the tunnel-system.

?Sonar s

4. Star-Lead

Feb 22, 2003
    Isn't anyone else interested (minus Satine, as she had the decency to respond)?

5. Star-Lead

Feb 22, 2003
    Despite the fact no-ones reading this, here's the third chapter...

Operation VH chapter 3

?Something most people don?t understand is that the line between a mistake and a choice is thinner than you?d believe. As a result, people think what happened to Jacen Solo on Sigma Octanus was the result of a mistake he made, when in fact it was his choices that caused it.? ? Robert Higgins, FEDNET news reporter

Carl Jenkins focussed his mind. Something was definitely wrong down on the planet.

Karen Driver, Vector squad psychic and support for him in case he overexerted his mental abilities, felt it as well.

/Something on the planet knows we?re here. They?re trying to contact you./

/I felt it as well Karen. It?s the Hive Mind. The Queen is still alive. She wants me, alive if possible, dead if necessary. I?m gonna try and find out what she wants us to know./

/Humans, pitiful creatures, but malleable. You are no match for me, Carl Jenkins. You were barely able to fight me last time, and now I am stronger, far stronger than your puny Terran psychics are. I have the three I need, one of whom has already been transformed, the others are well on the way. You have powers I can use, skills I want./

/Forget it. I refused to join you the last time, what makes you think I?ll change now? I?m stronger as well, and I know more about my powers, I can access new levels of power. You have no idea who you are messing with./

/I have something you care about. I have the Roughnecks, and the one you lost in my home on Earth./

/You have Dizzy? And my friends?! Let them go, or I am going to come down there and make you let go. Don?t think for a second I won?t do it, either./

There was no reply. The Queen had broken contact.

Carl grabbed his comlink ?Get them out! Get them out NOW!?

Within five minutes, the entire Valley Forge was in chaos.

Carmen was mercilessly dressing down the com/scan officer for his failure to keep track of the Roughnecks. Captain Ryans, Vector squad, was trying to assemble his team, which took some doing as they were mainly off duty. Ensign DeSilva was prepping a retrieval boat for launch ASAP, meaning thirty seconds ago in Fleet slang. Carl and Major Alexander Bishop, along with Colonel Cheng and Karen, were trying to track where the Roughnecks were, and whether or not there were any Brain bugs on the planet.

And, on the watery planet below, a former Fleet lieutenant, now part of the Hive Mind, readied himself for one last battle.

The first thing Jacen saw when he woke up was the ceiling of a rocky cavern, several hundred feet above his head.

?You awake junior??

?Yeah, no thanks to whatever that bug hit me with.?

Jacen vowed that he would stop getting hit around the head by everyone from Yuuzhan Vong to warrior bugs.

?What happened??

?We got attacked, knocked out, and dumped here. If I know bugs, which I should having spent several years fighting them, then there is a Brain here, and we are royally screwed. I ended up like this once before, on Hydora, but Carl pulled us out.?

Where?s Danni? She isn?t here.?

?I don?t know. She wasn?t here when we came to, so the bugs took her somewhere while we were on the deck, and I have a feeling we don?t want to know where.?

The two felt the warrior bugs grabbing them around the waist, lifting them up and carrying them towards one of the dozen or so tunnels leading out of the chamber.

It took all of Jacen?s considerable self-control not to draw his lightsaber and kill every bug in sight. If he tried that, he?d be dead before he could move a muscle

?Cool it trooper. Dead heroes can?t do anything for anyone.?

?I know, but we?re still armed. We might have a chance. If you can distract them, then I can deal with the Brain.?

Rico nodded. The kid had guts, and determination, but neither of those was a substitute for armour and a warrior could rip a power suit wide open.

6. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003
    Wow. Interesting idea, I like it :)

Don't be worried about people responding or not, they will eventually, just keep upping it.

7. Jedi_Knight_Satine

May 5, 2002
    Takes people awhile to respond!! (like me sometimes 8-} )

Awesome posts, Star-Lead! Can't wait for more!

8. Star-Lead

Feb 22, 2003
    Thanks, I appreciate any criticism, constructive or destructive, doesn't matter.

I'll get to work on chapter four as soon as I can, but I've got about three different fics in progress, so it may be a while.

9. Star-Lead

Feb 22, 2003
  10. Star-Lead

Feb 22, 2003
    Up, and if this gets more reviews then I may post my Halo/NJO crossover here.

11. Moff_D

Moff_D Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Funky idea...I like it. ;)

If I may make a suggestion, put a link to this in your signature. That way in any thread you post you can add a gentle reminder to ask people to visit your fic. Personally, I get to stories through links provided, I hardly ever visit the actual fic boards. I think there are a lot of people that would like to read this. ;)

12. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    Interesting idea Star-Lead :D
    I've never read Starship Troopers or seen the move though, so I don't know anything about those characters.

Now, Tahiri, I know that you are in love with Anakin, but I don?t want you climbing into the bacta tank to make out with him, have I made myself clear?

LOL! But that would take some self-restraint! ;)

Can't wait to see what has happened to Jacen. If he isn't dead and is a major character in this sotry, you may want to post a notice on the Jace Fan Club thread (shudders at the thought--I am a FADA member).

13. Star-Lead

Feb 22, 2003
    Jade-Walker, I'd recommend finding some of the Roughnecks: The Starship trooper chronicles DVDs, it mmight help you understand some of the characters (except Vector squad and Major Bishop).

14. Star-Lead

Feb 22, 2003
  15. Star-Lead

Feb 22, 2003
    Up we go (and I'm working on chapter four, so it should be done in about three days or so).

16. Star-Lead

Feb 22, 2003
    Up (I'm gonna have to get someone else to help with this).

17. Star-Lead

Feb 22, 2003
  18. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    I'll "UP" this for you, Star-Lead. ;)

19. Jedi_Knight_Satine

May 5, 2002
    I will too!

UP!

20. Star-Lead

Feb 22, 2003
    Thank you both.

Oh, and UP.

21. Star-Lead

Feb 22, 2003
    Damn, I let this slip onto page five. Apologies to my readers.

Up.

22. Star-Lead

Feb 22, 2003
    Operation VH chapter 4

Major Bishop crouched down next to Jacen Solo.

Yes!

There was something there, something he could use as an anchor to pull Jacen back.

Bishop focused himself, and then threw everything he had into holding Jacen where he was.

?Don?t waste your strength. He?s gone.?

That came from Danni Quee.

?He?s not gone yet, and I?ll be damned if I?m failing this time.?

Bishop didn?t say anything else, instead focussing on dragging Jacen back.

Carl, Cheng, Rebecca and Karen added their own strength to his.

He?d done this before, to help Carl Jenkins, although that had been easier, as Carl hadn?t been subjected to a mental assault that could shatter walls.

Bishop felt the remnants of Jacen?s mind slipping out of his grasp.

?No damn way Solo. I?ve never failed before, and I?m not gonna start now. Come back kid, you can?t help anyone if you die here.?

Bishop felt Jacen?s mind hold on, in response to his mental commands, while Carl and Cheng, exceptionally powerful psychics both, dragged him back to consciousness.

?He?s fine,? Bishop stated calmly, ?but it will take a few months for him to recover from a mental attack that severe.?

Back on Borlieas, the Roughnecks were on jungle patrol for the fourth day running after dispatching the Queen.

Their objectives: prevent the Yuuzhan Vong ground forces from retaking any further territory, and proceed deeper into the jungle to clear out enemy forward bases.

?Apes, fall it back to the clearing! Marauders, lay down suppressive fire!?

?My Marauders running on fumes here,? Doc shouted over the weapons fire, ?we?d better wrap this up fast!?

?Got it. Gossard, lay down a firewall!?

?Way ahead of you, LT. As usual.?

Gossard launched a volley of plasma rockets, creating an impenetrable screen of green-white fire that would last for about ten minutes before burning out.

?Marauders out of gas. We finished at the right time.?

Gossard climbed out of the Marauder, pulling off his helmet and taking a deep breath.

?Damn, I?ve missed none-recycled air.?

The Roughnecks were so intent on relaxing while a ret-ship arrived, that none of them noticed the dark shape crawling atop Gossard?s Marauder. At least, until it jumped Gossard, slashing him across the face before T?Phai planted a rocket in its torso, hurling it backwards before detonating.

?Voxyn,? Anakin spat, ?I thought we got the last of them on Mrykr. Doc, check Gossard.?

Doc was already on it, plugging the medical scanner link into its connector port on Gossards suit.

?Minor eye injuries, but he should be fine in a day or two.?

Johnny smiled. Doc had finally figured out that not everyone had his medical knowledge, so he kept it simple.

?Well then, let?s get back to base.?

Johnny walked out of the ops building, looking over the datapad containing their new orders.

They were to head into enemy held territory and pinpoint the cloning centre for the new voxyn, providing telemetry for an orbital strike.

No easy, but when had MI ever been given the easy jobs?

?Roughnecks, I got new orders from command. Intel has pinpointed where they think the voxyn are being cloned. Our orders are to head up river, and set up an airstrike beacon. We are then to evacuate and pick up the pieces.?

?Who?s on Marauder??

?As you volunteered, private Solo, you can drive the bus. Now grab some sack time. We move tomorrow morning.?

Higgins swept his camera over the deck of their transport to enemy central.

?Kind of a nice place, isn?t it??

?Higgins,? Anakin responded, from the opposite side of the deck, ?keep your eyes on the road paperboy.?

?Incoming,? T?Phai reported from the front of the ship.

Anakin looked up, with the infrared visor showing the voxyn up as splotches of dark-blue against the red of the jungle.

?Torch ?em,? Johnny ordered, striding out o

23. Jedi_Knight_Satine

May 5, 2002
    Oh god, please don't die, Anakin! Please don't die!!!

Great suspensful post! What a way to keep us in suspense!

Just shut up and let me rescue you, Hero-boy!

HA! That's my favorite line! Exactally what Tahiri would say!

24. Star-Lead

Feb 22, 2003
    Why thank you JKS.

I'm working on chapter 5 now, and I'll get it done as fast as is humanly possible.

25. Jade-Walker

Nov 21, 2002
    Wow! That was a long one!
    Good though. :D

I agree, Satine. I loved that line! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.