main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends An Unusual Lesson - Qui/Obi Vignette (a plot bunny adopted from shanobi)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jade_Max, Dec 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Peeks in. Uh, hi. I'm new to "Before"... never posted here before... Well, hope you enjoy.

Disclaimer: It's George's Sandbox; I'm just wrecking the sandcastles.

[b]Title:[/b] An Unusual Lesson
    [b]Author:[/b] Jade_Max
    [b]Genre:[/b] Drama
    [b]Timeframe:[/b] Pre TMP
    [b]Characters[/b] Obi-Wan (21ish) and Qui-Gon
    [b]Summary:[/b] It's come to Qui-Gon's attention that Obi-Wan has entered a physical relationship with a member of the Jedi Council; a first for the sometimes reckless Padawan.
    [b]Notes:[/b] Thank you to [b]shanobi[/b] for the plot bunny [face_hugs]. This is my first foray into Before the Saga and I apologize in advance for any character inaccuracies. I don't write young Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon [i]ever[/i] as I've not read a single one of the JA books- So please be gentle! Comments and constructive character criticism are most welcome :)

[b][u]An Unusual Lesson[/u][/b]

It pains me to think that he could have once been me.

He is brash, reckless; choosing to act instead of think. It has gotten him -us!- into trouble on more than on occasion. This most recent one, however, he has done by himself. I would never have noticed but for the large bruise on his shoulder where it meets the neck, or perhaps, it was the rather exuberant enthusiasm in which he always chose to run my errands to her for me that tipped me off. Or it could possibly have been the softly whispered words of passing Padawans, speculating on the outcome.

No matter.

The problem is not that it happened; it is what to do about it now - how do I stop this before he is hurt? Obi-Wan is a fine apprentice, a wiser man than I in many respects, and a child in others. Matters of the heart - or rather the hormones - are areas in which he has little experience. He has devoted himself almost solely to becoming a Jedi. The best Jedi, and has shunned many of the activities his peers participated in. Including physical pleasures. I, like many other Jedi, do indulge, but it is always a mutual joining of respect that is carefully controlled. It is understood that these events are a single occurrence with no obligations beyond the encounter.

Obi-Wan, however, could not have picked a better teacher. She is wise, experienced and seasoned enough to know not to allow him to become attached to the sensations and pleasures. She will train him well, teach him to control himself even in the throes of passion but I fear it will not be enough. He knows to avoid attachments and that they are forbidden to Jedi, but does he understand it?

"Obi-Wan."

"Yes, Master?"

"Come here."

Obi-Wan rose from his meditation, adjusting his robes about his shoulders to hide the new bruise on his neck. "Is there a problem, Master Qui-Gon?"

Qui-Gon waved his Padawan to the seat across from him, folding his hands together and leaning forward to watch him carefully. He waited until Obi-Wan had settled in his chair. "I understand you and Master Gallia have been enjoying a lot of each other's company."

The unabashed grin that crossed Obi-Wan's face was quickly squashed. "Yes, Master. She has much to teach me."

"Is she your only Master?"

Obi-Wan blinked, flushing under his tan despite his control. "I wouldn't-"

Qui-Gon nodded knowingly as Obi-Wan cut himself off. "You wouldn't betray her trust like that?"

Obi-Wan nodded, but it was hesitant. "Is that attachment, Master?"

"I see you've garnered the reason for our discussion." Qui-Gon smiled faintly. "It is the beginning of attachment, Obi-Wan."

"Then I have to stop..." his voice cracked and he cleared his throat, trying again. "I have to stop seeing her."

"That may be impossible."

"Nothing is impossible."

"Improbable with our meetings before the council."

Obi-Wan rubbed his palms on his pants. "Should I find another teacher?"

"Master Gallia can teach you things others cannot. Consider this a test.." Qui-Gon's smile returned.

"A test, Master?"

"A test. You are aware of the tenets of the Jedi code. You know that attachment is for

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Welcome to the Before board. You did a wonderful job with young Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. Intimate relationships are something that happens. I liked how you had Qui-Gon react to his padawan's.

I look forward to seeing you in Before more. :D

3. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I thought you did a lovely job with this. It had just the right balance of mystery, concern, and emotion to be sweet without being sensual.

Wonderful.

4. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    Yes - Welcome to Before :)

Thank you for this wonderful little pre-christmas gift! :)

I too thought you portrayed the right mixture of all the emotions involved. Qui's concern and advice was spot on as was Obi's impish nature and innocence.

Nice job getting your feet wet with this and the angst viggie :D Maybe you'll try these waters again sometime...??? I shall hope so.

Thanks for this. I truly enjoyed it =D=

--shan

5. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    I loved how Qui-Gon realized he had to step in and give Obi-Wan "the talk" so to speak. And he handled it very well.

Great job on this

=D= =D= =D= =D=

6. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Oooooooh, that was very nicely done! It shows us Obi-Wan's, um, youthful needs and depicts Qui-Gon's sensitivity to the new situation so nicely. Might I say it was even inspiring? [face_mischief] But....Adi Gallia; I hope she was gentle with Obi-Wan! Oh, but ooops, bruises. Not I guess. [face_mischief]

7. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    An absolutely stunning exploration of this topic! You handled it so well, and it was simply beautiful.

=D=

8. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Welcome to Before!! Glad you posted that; it's very sweet :) I especally like Qui-Gon's thoughts on the matter before and after; they add a good depth to the story :)

I hope you'll write in Before more often!

9. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    Thank you everyone for your warm welcome to Before! [:D]

Healer_Leona ? Thank you [face_blush] I credit shan with the plot bunny and my muse for the direction it took. I was simply the instrument at the keyboard.

dianethx ? I?m relieved to read that this was how you viewed the line of this story. I didn?t want to do something sensual or even risqué ? I wanted to show Qui-Gon?s concern for the possible ramifications, but at the same time, his understanding for Obi-Wan?s need for privacy. Thank you!

shanobi ? You?re most welcome for the Vignette ? I have to say thanks again for the plot bunny. Yours tend to stretch my brain a lot further than I normally do; and you?re challenging me to new eras! :eek:

I?m glad you liked it, like I said above, I didn?t want to make it overly obvious, but I also wanted the matter to be understood by all parties in a fashion that Qui-Gon would use.

KELIA - *smile* Thank you! I hope his ?talk? wasn?t too intrusive, Obi-Wan should still have some freedoms ;)

ardavenport ? To be honest, I know next to nothing about Adi Gallia ? that?s the name shan used when she posted this bunny as an example. [face_blush] I?m glad you liked the handling of the situation, I was so nervous it would be out of character.

Oh and Obi?s ?bruises? are hickies ;) I just didn?t felt the word fit in the story.

VaderLVR64 ? Thank you Kim :)

NYCitygurl ? I knew when I adopted the bunny I was going to do it from the 1st person POV. What I didn?t realize was that my muse had other ideas and wasn?t going to keep it there! I?m glad you enjoyed Qui?s thought process ? they were really the building blocks for the rest of the Vig.

Thank you everyone for reading and giving this newbie to Before a chance!

10. BrentusofGath

BrentusofGath Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2005
    =D= Great job Jade_Max!!

I liked the serious little talk about the birds and the Jedi from ol' fatherly Qui-Gon, lol.

Little Obi-Wan is growing up, and Qui-Gon has to be the one to smack him back down to size, lol. Why couldn't the object of his affection handle that talk, I wonder? [face_thinking]

Anyway, loved fatherly Qui. Obi-Wan is lucky he didn't have Yoda as a Master, lol! "Nookie, not get attached to, hmm?"

=D= Wonderful entry into Before, I hope you stick around.

11. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    BrentusofGath ? Thank you, I?m glad you liked it! *laughs* Birds and the Jedi? I like that :D

I suppose I could have had Adi handle the ?talk? but it would have had more of an impact coming from Qui-Gon. And it?s not technically Adi?s place since she?s not Master in the most er? traditional of senses *snicker* She?s just educating him in an area not covered by normal Jedi training ;)

"Nookie, not get attached to, hmm?"

ROFL! [face_laugh] [face_laugh] That is priceless! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Thanks for reading!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.