main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

An unusual SW experience

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by darkcide, Jun 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkcide

darkcide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    One night recently, I had a terrible nightmare. I felt like I was being held down by many hands and I couldn't break free,I could hear myself calling for help in my half-asleep/half-awake mode.I awoke fully a few moments later and realized what happened.Experiences like this are called "night terrors". I knew it was just a bad dream,but as I lay there in my bed in the dark, I felt afraid to go back to sleep.I thought maybe watching something on video for a few minutes might help,so I watched Return of the Jedi from the beginning up to the part when Luke says to R2 "We're going to dagobah,I have a promise to keep to an old friend". At that point I felt well enough to go back to sleep.In the morning I felt much better and I realized something about Star Wars, that it has the ability to comfort, console, and, in some small way, heal the inner child in someone.

2. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    Good post, darkcide. I'm currently having personal problems, and the films--and these forums--help to heal my inner wounds.

I'm not sure what that says about me.

3. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    yes i totally agree.. watching Star Wars can be so soothing.. it takes you to a safe and well-known place.. something constant in your life

4. darkcide

Jun 17, 2003
    I think it says you are a good person.

5. Darth_Nabb

Darth_Nabb Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 10, 2003
    I've had a night terror once or twice..horrifying experiences. Couldn't move, opened my mouth to scream but nothing would come out..just an incredibly undescribable feeling.

6. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    It's cool SW has that effect on you.

:)

7. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    It's common to use something you really enjoy, like SW to achieve this effect

I've been having personal problems and my favorite band is one of the few things that can still cheer me up

It's good that SW effects you like that, people say we're nerds, but what do they do when they need to feel better?

8. jMo_Skywalker

jMo_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2002
    I totally agree. At times, you sort of feel like a nerd because Star Wars can have that effect on you, but it's normal. SW is definately one of my outlets in life. I relate myself to Anakin most out of any character. I know that Star Wars has made a definate difference in my life and I know it will have an influence on me for years to come...

9. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    I totally feel this way whenver Palpatine/Sidious comes on screen. His cackles, hypocrisy and sarcasm have such a soothing effect on me that it feels like a lullaby. I fall asleep with a smile on my face.

10. darkcide

Jun 17, 2003
    "Sleep...those little slices of death.How I loathe them".-Edgar Allan Poe

11. Rogue-13

Rogue-13 Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2003
    Lets face it. Star Wars is a way of life. I even read an article some time back about people who stated their religion as "Jedi" is some census or something.

12. Darth_Fisto

Darth_Fisto Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2002
    "Lets face it. Star Wars is a way of life. I even read an article some time back about people who stated their religion as "Jedi" is some census or something."

That would be Britain's national census then ;)
    I put Jedi as my religion because I thought it would be funny. Turns out over 350,000 other people thought the same :D

It also happened in Australia.

13. Jedi_padawan_leigh

Jedi_padawan_leigh Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    Yeah Rogue-13

You read right. It was over here in the UK. on the 2001 census. The government must think were crackers when they analyse and look through those things lol. I think since then more countries have done it too.

Anyway, back to the topic. I find star wars is a great release if ive had a bad day at college. I put on the soundtracks while im doing assignments or watch the films when I have time and it helps me relax a lot because its something I enjoy. Some people thnk its weird I like star wars (even more so because in a girl) but it doesnt bother me that much. Its not their life

14. ultimatejedi90

ultimatejedi90 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 24, 2003
    that's cool George Lucas himself said that he wanted to make a movie whee the troubles of everyday life would not follow a person into the theator so they could forget for 2 hours or something every time I get mad I watch star wars and it calms me down it must be the jedi talk on it like don't give in to hate but it never works when I'm watching the end of return of the jedi because the emporor says all that stuff or it could be the force.

15. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    Yea really

Like when people see me reading the books sometimes they say something, but what do they read? most of them don't read anything, reading a SW novel is a lot better for your mind then reading nothing

16. Naccha

Naccha Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 1999
    I think it was Liam Neeson who remarked that when he was a kid, he went to the movie theater to see Star Wars during the many terrorist attacks and bombings that occurred in Ireland at the time. There were bombs going off outside but inside you were transported to a different place so completely you forgot about the turmoil outside in the streets. That was one reason he decided to do SW...he didn't even read the script before signing.

Star Wars is an escape. It's hard to explain to those who don't get it. But for me, it's been an escape from when life gets too overwhelming. It relaxes me also. And it has been an awesome conduit for creativity. As an artist and a writer, I'm constantly inspired by SW. It really opens my mind. :) And then there's the spiritual aspect also. Star Wars is so many things to so many people. It truly is a phenomenon, even more than GL ever imagined, I'm sure.

17. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    "If you have to ask why people love Star Wars, you'll never know." -- The Lard Biscuit

Rick McCallum loves you!

18. Mystic_Ally

Mystic_Ally Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 18, 2003
    i think everybody has their little hobby or obsession, whether they like to admit it or not. the way i see it, its much better for you to go on the JC boards and think and write and read than spend that time watching tv.

Not to say I don't ;)

19. Skywalker_1138

Skywalker_1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2003
    I don't really think it's unusual because you have at least however many people are on these forums and they would probably tell you it has the same effect on them.

I agree that everyone has a little hobby or obsession some just haven't formed into a community like Star Wars fans have.

20. Darkness_Himself

Darkness_Himself Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 2003
    A little of topic:
    Is it true that in England, Jedi is officialy accepted as a religion?

21. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    That's cool. :) Star Wars has a similar affect on me -- I can watch one of the movies or even listen to a soundtrack and it helps me concentrate on something other than problems I'm having.

The only problem is when I'm in a bad mood/someone made me mad and I'm not somewhere where I can listen to the soundtrack or watch the movie or anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.