main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anakin! Anakin! NOOOOOOOO!!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Jericho, Aug 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_OlsenTwins

Darth_OlsenTwins Jedi Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    *if* *if* the nooo was someone else, how would you expect Burtt to respond if he and Lucas didn't want us to know it was someone other then Qui Gon?

I would agree with that *if* they were trying to hide that from us, but they are not. They didn't hide it in the novel nor in the screenplay. In both of those cases they attribute the one and only voice to Qui-Gon. Hearing Qui-Gon's voice was the focus of that little scene, and THAT is the plot point not something else.

2. Lord-Gretzky

Lord-Gretzky Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2000
    There is overwhelming evidence for it just being Qui gon, which is why I think it is most likely him. But the fact that it sounds nothing like him at all, to myself and many others, makes me think about why those skilled people at ILM and LucasFilm couldn't do a better job. I've already talked about taking a sound clip of myself saying no and making it sound more like qui gon then they did in the film, and I was using crappy software and equipment. Thats what gets me thinkin

3. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Maybe the "NO" was suppose to sound slightly different for a reason.

4. Darth_OlsenTwins

May 18, 2002
    OK well I can quite agree with you LG, I think my original comments are more towards 9miles2darth. Of course we can speculate about anything which makes some of this discussion fun. But people calling me stupid for believing something that has overwhelming evidence is not needed. Thats not directed towards you LG.

I feel like we had this same discussion a couple months back, but I wasn't sure if it was with you LG.

EDIT: I would also tend to agree with you ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

5. Lord-Gretzky

Jun 29, 2000
    We probably did have this discussion. I've had it a few times. ST-TPM, slightly different, or like an entirely different individual? If thats the case, it worked. But why did they want it to sound like so different then?

6. Moriarte

Moriarte Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    I always took the "NOOOOOO", to be Qui-Gon's voice in pained anguish I mean...the Chosen One, the one single person that can save the galaxy has just dipped into the DarkSide. I thought the "NOOOO" was just intense emotion, nothing more.

Ciou-See the Sig

7. Darth_OlsenTwins

May 18, 2002
    I don't think that it was meant to be an entirely different individual myself. But if it was meant to be Qui-Gon's voice, distorted and garbled, it was still done poorly. If it was done well, then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

EDIT: I think the distortion is meant to imply that Qui-Gon was speaking from beyond the grave, but began to fade or lose its essence because he could not sustain it for long.

8. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I meant it as perhaps he was struggling. We know Qui-Gon's voice fades after the "NO" part. Maybe he was struggling to speak to Anakin as he faded.

I don't know. Just a possibility.

9. 9miles2darth

9miles2darth Jedi Youngling

Aug 22, 2002
    how about.....NO.....seriously, you think that anyone at star wars is getting paid to do such a bad job like that? take a listen to it again...I mean I understand where you are coming from..i understand that you think that since its from meditating and in the mind..its a little messed up...but if they were going to do that, they might as well not even have left the vader breath at the very end...I mean, why would they do such a horrible job on qui gon's (anakins) noooo if they were going to do such a very sharp and nice job on everything else? its not qui-gon jin saying that..I dont care what you say..its not him...if there was no vader breath, it would have showed me this whole thing is a little more loose, and you could guess who it is..but...everything falls in place too perfect for it to turn out like that ya mary-kate and ashley lova

10. 9miles2darth

9miles2darth Jedi Youngling

Aug 22, 2002
    i just listened it to again....the anakin anakin part is totally in the left speaker...and the nooo part is in a DIFFERENT PERSONS VOICE....(sounds like hayden) in the RIGHT speaker and much LOUDER and very....obvious of it being another..person...I hope were listening to the same sound clip

11. Mister_Oragahn

Mister_Oragahn Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 7, 2001
    Mmh, this is interesting.

In this case, I wouldn't bother what the official site says.

GL had plenty of money and time to have Liam Neeson to shout a good "noooo !" if he wanted to.

And we wouldn't be having such a debate if the thing was properly done.

Seems like a lot of people forget that once ago, when the OT was still being made, George Lucas spread on purpose a false information about the destiny of one of the most important characters.

They're just doing that to keep the "surprise". Or they think we're stupid.

It is said to be Neeson, but it sounds like Yoda.

The voice has nothing to do with Qui-Gon.

I give it 100% chances to be Yoda.

And btw, who said that the most powerfull Jedi couldn't see himself through his visions ?

And yes, we hear tusken sounds. We also hear another sort of "no", before the double "Anakin !". I wonder where it comes from...

And yes, people who think that it's not Yoda's voice saying "no !" must be near as deaf. If it's not Yoda, it's damn close to his voice.
    The tone, the fluctuations, the very subtle oldness of the voice... it is Yoda.

If this is supposed to be QGJ, McGregor, Hayden or even Jones, just let me laugh.

12. Darth_Poutine

Darth_Poutine Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 20, 2002
    Ask the Lucasfilm Jedi Concil

July 1, 2002

Ben Burtt
    Editor, sound designer

Q: Do I hear the voice of Qui-Gon Jinn shouting, "Anakin, Anakin... No!", in Yoda's apartment after Anakin attacks the Tusken Raiders?
    A: Yes indeed, the voice that Yoda hears is that of Qui-Gon Jinn.

starwars.com databanks

Yoda entry

At that very moment, he also heard the voice of Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master slain a decade previous. It was impossible for a Jedi to retain his identity after becoming one with the Force, yet he had heard it.

13. Darth_OlsenTwins

May 18, 2002
    One of the reasons that they didn't use Liam's voice for the "No" is for the same reason they didn't use his voice for the "Anakin, Anakin" portion, either. Liam Neeson was holed up at his home after a very bad motorcycle accident in which he almost died. They tried to do something over the internet, I believe. But they opted to use the "Anakin, Anakin" part from TPM and the "No" is something completely new. This was all in that Starlog magazine article which I can't seem to find. Others here can confirm that.

9miles, its not really a question of what you hear because everyone hears something different. Its pretty hard to say who it sounds like exactly. It sounds as much like Liam Neeson as it does Hayden Christiansen, so your really not giving much proof there. The novel, the screenplay and Ben Burtt all attribute the voice to QGJ for the voice. Thats infinitely more evidence saying its QGJ than Anakin(or anyone else for that matter).

Im sorry to burst your proverbial bubble but all evidence would say that the only person speaking there would be QGJ.

However, nothing I say can change your mind, so what else can I say?

14. Lord-Gretzky

Jun 29, 2000
    Well, the main piece of evidence or information actually goes against it being Qui Gon. That is, it doesn't sound anything like him. That's the reason theres a discussion. We have all these pieces of info saying this is Qui Gon, then we listen and it sounds nothing like him. It's weird. Also, Poutine is a moron.

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    True, but as I said Qui-gon is the first to speak from the dead. He could very well have trouble being heard and after getting through, his voice is becoming distorted. It might've been altered on purpose.

16. One-with-the-Force

One-with-the-Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    Well, I guess it's pointless to argue back and forth to no avail... Either way it is a big foreshadowing for Episode III. It could mean a lot of things and until we get some real info on Episode III there is no way to know.

17. Anomaly8888

Anomaly8888 Jedi Youngling

Aug 23, 2002
    the NOOOOOOOOOOOOo is anakin turning into vader finally. the mechanized vader.. its a real incarnation of his voice changing from the Hayden Christensen vader into the James Earl Jones Vader.. that is if he is vader before he is mechanized. i mean his voice HAS to change at one point doesnt it? is he going to start talking like james earl jones all ofv a sudden? and are we all to say hey what happened to your voice there pal? the second coming of puberty? just all of a sudden.. or does it happen in a SCENE where his voice garbles into what we know it as in the classic trilogy through a type of healing/metamorphosis the emporer puts him through? ah so many theories.
    and hey if you didnt check out my post awhile ago to hear all the other crap going on during the anakin anakin no sound file check it out here listen with head phones to the point where the ANAKIN!'s hurt your ears (heh) and listen to it over and over and over. that way you can hear all the crazy other stuff you have no idea wha tyou're missing. by the way i removed all lower khz sound frequencies .
    right click this and save as
    voice sequence link

and no its not TWEEKED.. its without low frequencies so you can hear the basic structure of the sequence without the garbled basson or cello in the orchestra that is overlapping it.

PS .. STILL sounds like I TRIED TO NOT KILL .. or soooomethign like that before the first ANAKIN and im stikin to that.

18. Jericho

Jericho Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2002
    Do you think you could isolate and bring up the "kill her" phrase you're hearing? I'm still having trouble hearing anything.

19. Ssorrol

Ssorrol Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 2, 2002
    i cant believe im saying this, but after listening to the clip 10 times and listening in deep concentration, i believe ive heard the supposed "kill her" shout. theres a great possibility its just shouts from tuskens but the tone seems different from the other tusken screams. im still not sure...

its very hard to tell because at the 3 second mark the "her" seems to turn into a tusken scream which sounds very similar..

even if we can figure out who is doing the yelling, we wont know exactly why until episode 3 hits theaters anyway.

20. Jericho

Aug 4, 2002

Who buried Paul?

21. Charlie_Martel

Charlie_Martel Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2001
    The "Anakin! Anakin! Noooooo!" was modified a little in the DVD. For one, the "Nooooo!" is more distorted, and 2nd, the Vader breath is almost taken out of the movie. You can barley hear parts of it under the added screaming :(

22. Jericho

Aug 4, 2002

That's interesting. Wonder why he would distort it even more? I see this(if true) as more evidence it is not intended to be Qui-Gon. Who does it sound the most like now? Is it more Yoda-like? Vader/Anakin-like?

23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It could be anything. Maybe one of us hit it on the mark who it's supposed to be and he's trying to make it more complex. But most likely, he wasn't satisfied with how it sounded before. Or he got Neeson to do the line and modify it even more, or use another Neeson "NOOOO" from one of his films.

24. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    where can i listen to this? can someone give me a link??

25. Kylle

Kylle Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2002
    Sure, it is Yoda. I think we might hear Yoda scream excactly the same way at some point in ep3. Great scene, anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.