Anakin and Luke: A Comparison

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Dagsy, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anidanami124 Jedi Master

star 6
    Form what I have seen the both want to be Jedi. They both want to get off of Tatooine. But I don't see much else. Becasue the comparisons kind of break aprat when Anakin becomes Vader.
  2. Skywalker_Vader2be Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Anakin and Luke...huge difference.

LUKE: I have accepted that you were once Anakin Skywalker, my father.

DARTH VADER: That name no longer has any meaning for me!

LUKE: I'm sorry. I forgot that you were once ANNIE Skywalker.

See the difference? The baddie has a girly/kiddy nickname. The goodie has none.
  3. Crispy_Fried_Dentic Jedi Youngling

star 2
    In the Star Wars novel, Luke had the truly atrocious nickname of 'Wormie'. :eek:

I'd take 'Annie' over that one any day ;)
  4. openmind Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Lately although we can't really compare the characters, I find the name "Chewy" much more insulting than "Ani". BTW, note, Luke calls Vader "Anakin" and not "Annie". [face_devil]
  5. DARTH_MARK-22 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I think one of the greatest fundamental similarities --or differences-- between Anakin and Luke is love.

Anakin, once he is initiated into the Jedi Order, is taught that a "Jedi shall not know love." The other Jedi were chosen before they could grow attachments, and so never knew love. Anakin, however, has already formed an attachment to his mother. He knew love, knew attachment. Therefore, not only is he unable to sever his attachments, he yearns to make new ones. Hence, his love for Padme. However, it is also shown that his attachments lead to his downfall. When his mother dies in his arms, his reaction is a vengeful and violent one. When he will be faced with Padme's death ... or perhaps even the possible illusion of her betrayal ... the end result --as we all know-- will be his tragic fall to the Dark Side. However, it is not because of these attachments that Anakin is drawn to the Dark Side, but perhaps because he is isolated from love. In the end, he becomes a darkened figure that is more machine than man, deprived of everything he once loved, left only with his hatred, his self-loathing ...

Luke, on the other hand, uses the concept of love to a level that is different from his father. As an orphan, he had no one to love at the beginning of the story other than Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru. He had grown attachments to his caretakers and to his homeworld of Tatooine. Even though he yearned to leave, he felt a responsibility to stay. Once those ties are severed, he begins his path to becoming a Jedi. He learns from Ben/Obi-Wan that his father was killed by Darth Vader, which of course naturally leads him to seeking vengeance. However, when he learns that Vader is his father, Luke's hatred has turned into pity. And so he no longer seeks revenge upon the Dark Lord of the Sith that he hates, but rather he seeks to save his father that he loves. It is his love for Anakin Skywalker that not only shields him from the temptations of the Dark Side, but also redeems his father and brings him back to the Light Side.

6. Onizuka Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I think of one important reason that why Anakin fails but Luke sucseeds.

To Luke, he always know the dark side is the bad side...that's what he always keeps that in mind...and finally triump

To Anakin, he doesn't know the dark side is the bad side. He doesn't even feel that he betrays the Jedi to join Sidious. But, he thinks the Jedi betray him and are not trustable...but opposite to Palpatine...who Anakin thinks he's always a good friend to him.....That's why he fails...because he thinks he does the right thing.....only at the end, he realize he's wrong
  7. BuriedAlien Jedi Youngling

star 2
    This touches upon the religious/spiritual implications of STAR WARS a bit, but I would say the distinction between Anakin Skywalker and his son Luke lies within the word "faith".

Over the course of STAR WARS EPISODE I - III, we see Anakin encounter various situations that would cause him to lose faith. The Jedi were not the noble upholders of justice that he had believed them to be: not only had they not freed the slaves on Tatooine, but they did not accept him as one of them as Qui-Gon Jinn promised they would. Anakin's faith in the Jedi is further shattered when Shmi dies in the Tusken camp a decade later. In EPISODE III, Anakin will perceive some final betrayal (most likely centered around Obi-Wan Kenobi) from the Jedi that will finally destroy his faith in them forever, compelling him to embrace the Dark Side.

Luke Skywalker, on the other hand, was a character would did not lose faith under the worst of circumstances. Obi-Wan had lied to Luke about his father, and yet Luke never lost faith in his mentor. Similarly, Luke did not lose faith in the goodness within Anakin, although everyone else had. It was the power of faith, I believe, that allowed Luke to succeed where Anakin failed. Luke never lost faith in his father or the Light Side of the Force.

And faith, of course, is the central tenet of *all* religion.

A poignant bit of wisdom that Yoda shared with Luke in THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK:

Luke: "I don't believe it."

Yoda: "That is why you fail."

Luke learned to believe it, and that is why he succeeded.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.