main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anakin and Luke Jedi robes

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DON_QUITO12, Nov 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DON_QUITO12

DON_QUITO12 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 29, 2005
    I'm not sure if this topic was discussed before, so my apologies for it...

I was just looking at Anakin's and Luke's Jedi Knight robes and compared them... They're both the same color (dark)... [face_thinking]

Does this has any special meaning? Did Luke wanted to follow his father's tradition or is it just mere coincidence (not explained)? :confused:

I realised after watching ATOC, the year it was released, that Anakin broke up with Jedi tradition of wearing light colors...

2. Darth_Pazuzu

Darth_Pazuzu Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2005
    I like the fact that when Luke arrives at Jabba's palace in ROTJ, he's all dressed in black. When Luke threatens Jabba and warns him not to underestimate his powers, we are reminded very much of Anakin. This scene becomes rather chilling after having seen ROTS, and serves as a reminder that Luke is walking the same fine line as his father was, and that he is still very much in danger of being consumed by the Dark Side.

3. cymbalmonkey

cymbalmonkey Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2005
    I'm not quite sure but i think Mace wears dark robes as well [face_thinking] .... funny how he's also one who walks the fine line with the dark side, like Luke and Anakin

4. Darth_Bedek

Darth_Bedek Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2005
    Agreed cymbalmonkey. After reading the book, I really gained insight into the "greyness" of Mace and his Vaapad style.

5. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    I've always thought of it as Anakin must have liked wearing darker colors. How do we know that Anakin always wore those colors? Jedi probably wear different colors at different times. Perhaps we see them wear the same colors during certain episodes.

I think Luke went to Jabba's palace wearing all black hoping to scare Jabba.

6. Darth_Head

Darth_Head Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2003
    Mace's robes are fairly light:

[image=http://www.blueharvest.net/images/prequel/episode2/windu.jpg]

Compared to Anakin's:

[image=http://www.acaciahsrealm.com/images/hi_res_anakin1028.jpg]

And Luke's:

[image=http://geagan.free.fr/luke%20skywalker/luke.jpg]

I know that suggesting future changes to the OT is not well received, but does anyone else think it would be a good idea to have Luke's eyes go briefly yellow during his assault on Vader in ROTJ? To show how close he is to making the same mistakes Anakin made?

7. cymbalmonkey

cymbalmonkey Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2005
    i mentioned the Sith eyes in another post and i think it wuold be great to tie in with the whole saga

8. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    Yeah, Mace was never going to go to the Dark Side...

unless, you're some kind of racist prick! lol

9. BrideofVader

BrideofVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2005
    Has nothing to do with race. You can see the internal struggle Mace had going on as he held the Chancelor at saber point. He was letting his anger and hate get the best of him, and he knew it. It was not only a danger for Anakin and Mace, but for all of the Jedi as well. "To a dark place this line of thought will take us. Great care we must take." Yoda, ROTS.

10. DarthScully

DarthScully Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2001
    although it was always the intention that Vader is the Jedi that Returns there was a rumour a while back that Luke would've fallen to the Dark Side, hence the dark clothing. you know how Lucas is with visual references. but over the course of scriptwriting and filming we ended up with the ROTJ we have today.

11. DON_QUITO12

DON_QUITO12 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 29, 2005
    Actually, I thought that Luke falled into the dark side after the OT, during the Expanded Universe novels, and that it was Leia who turned him back into the light: Dark Empire, etc.

But, I don't think that Luke's meaning of wearing dark robes was because of that...

12. That_Jedi_Guy

That_Jedi_Guy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2005
    If you watch the three OT films Lukes clothing is white in ANH, grey in ESB, and then black in ROTJ. I think its showing how he is becoming less innocent between the films and how he get closer to the dark side.

13. Darth_Head

Darth_Head Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2003
    Here's a very rough mock-up:

[image=http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/7324/luke3es.jpg]

14. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

I know that Mark Hammil had an accident and I don't know how much they used makeup and stuff to cover some of his facial blemishes, but it would have been cooler to use less makeup during th e scenes where he is going towards the darkside, to go with the somewhat accepted notion of the Dark Side corrupting the flesh. (Too late for that now, however).

Carnage

15. i_dont_know

i_dont_know Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2005
    Sure, an internal conflict maybe. But not related to the darkside.

Again, just because Yoda uses the word "dark" doesn't mean that it has anything to do with the darkside. The "line of thought will carry them to a dark place" because what they are discussing could be seen as treason, and they can't believe it has come to that.
    Mace was, for several reasons, wrong to try to kill Palpatine after Sidious "resisted arrest" (by killing 3 Jedi :) ), but this doesn't in any way mean he came close to the darkside.

16. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    Actually, I'm convinced Luke's robes are an homage to Yoda, as they both have a v-neck collar. None of the other Jedi have this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.