main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Anakin and Padme's Co-Dependant Relationship

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by NotSoScruffyLooking, Jul 1, 2014.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If Anakin is mentally ill, then the blame lies on the illness, to the degree that it lessened his ability to make responsible decisions.

Regardless, it was not Padme's responsibility to encourage or discourage Anakin from behaving a certain way, as he was not her child.

2. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    I think. Their relationship was fine it's ok to be so in love with someone you can't breath without them and that's why he did what he did in order to save her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    You're right. That's so healthy that medical professionals, health magazines and fitness gurus everywhere should promote it as a life goal.

4. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    No what I mean it's ok to feel that way but obviously do it in a more healthy and reasonably way then what they ended up becoming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    There is no "healthy and reasonable way" to feel like you can't breathe without a certain other person. That sentiment is pretty much the definition of unhealthy.

The end result of that feeling is some version of what happened to Anakin and Padme.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  6. NotSoScruffyLooking

NotSoScruffyLooking Jedi Master star 3

Mar 20, 2009
    My feeling is that Padme is obviously not a sociopath like Anakin, but she was not good for him any more than he was not good for her. People often fall in love with people that are not healthy for each other logically. Sometimes, even more likely to fall in love. I'm not blaming Padme for what happened to Anakin, but I do think a more logical and less passionate approach to the relationship may have caused Anakin to think twice about his actions.

7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    It isn't unhealthy to need others. Most of us do in some capacity or other. Both Padme and Anakin were very irresponsible in the handling of their relationship but Anakin's faults are his.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I would not say it's unhealthy to "need" other people, as long as you are still capable of functioning--and understand that you are still capable of functioning--if the relationship does not work out.

It is a pretty narrow line though.