main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Anakin and Padme's relationship

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Blue Jedi, Dec 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Jedi

Blue Jedi Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2014
    Did anyone else feel something... off about their relationship in the Prequels? This has always been one of my biggest complaints.

First off, they have nothing in common. They come from completely different backgrounds, with different personalities. Anakin is sheltered, and has anger from his upbringing and losing his mother and friends. Padme is a famous political figure on Naboo, and loves nature and is outgoing and smart. I know opposites can attract, but that's only in certain cases.

Another kinda weird thing is the age difference in TPM. Anakin is 9 (acts like he's six), while Padme is 14 (acts like she's 18). It's cute in The Phantom Menace, but I find their sudden attraction to each other very strange at the beginning of Attack of the Clones. They hadn't seen each other in 10 years, and when they met, "Ani" (dumb nickname) was 9!

The worst of the worst is the "romance" stuff in AOTC. Everything they say is dumb, and the forbidden kiss and fireplace scenes are some of the worst in Star Wars history. And them marrying at the end was way too sudden as well IMO

For the record, I'm not a "prequel basher" or anything. But I thought the love story was garbage.

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I think the presentation leaves much to be desired including timing. I think the romance stuff is very flat and dull. I love age gaps though. However suggesting Ani was basically in love at 9 is pushing it. Opposites can indeed mesh very well.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Hi, I see you're new here, welcome to the boards.

I don't know if you've lurked at all but this subject does get rehashed a lot.

As far as their relationship in AOTC: I think Padme knew that Anakin was the only one outside her family who appreciated her for who she was, not as a politician or a diplomat. They had their first real conversation in TPM when she was disguised as a handmaiden. And looking at the Naboo scenes in comparison to other scenes in the movie, the meadow and the dinner were the only scenes in the movie in which both characters are actually relaxed. They enjoyed each other. I get that.

The age difference did not matter once AOTC came about. Nothing wrong with an older woman and a younger man.

You're absolutely right about the stupid stuff they said. I wish Lucas had not tried to go for a "courtly love" angle. But I am able to cringe a little less when I think about how inexperienced Anakin was.

4. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Courtly love can work it simply doesn't in AotC because neither character know what it is. :p

5. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Courtly love is actually the only form of romance I enjoy(well other than two people from opposite war sides falling in love, à la Phoebe/Cole in Charmed). I like the subgenre, and I appreciate how Lucas swapped the (sexist notions of) 'conventional roles' for women and men in the Padmé/Anakin relationship. How often is the male years younger in romances? How often is he the emotional passionate one, the Heart in a Heart-Head connection? How often is the female the practical one? Almost never.

I liked the unique dynamics in the P/A romance and the Senator/Jedi forbidden love scenario. I personally find them very much suited to one another-they have much potential to make each other grow in their differences. He can help her be more spontaneous, in-the-moment, enhance her family values, bring out her spirited side. She can fine-tune his diplomatic(lol) side, help him understand the necessity of negotiations, planning & procedures, help him balance passion with duty.

I found the execution of the romance a bit lacking, however. It needed more scenes, less jumps.

Mindless Monster likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Any progress he made in swapping those "conventional roles" was unfortunately undone in ROTS.

Empress Shatterpoint likes this.
  7. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I would disagree with your later first paragraph, Shatterpoint. It isn't that the female being elder or more practical or the male younger and more emotional never happens it's that people deny, dismiss, or ignore it. Sir and Lady Cushing are a RL example that it *does* indeed really happen.

8. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Posting using a sock while banned is not permitted, much less starting new threads. Locking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.