main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Anakin and Shmi's Farewell in "THE PHANTOM MENACE"

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DRush76, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Yeah, I liked that scene. It's powerful.

2. GeneralCeel

GeneralCeel Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 4, 2005

Wow, thank you for that staggering insight.

3. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    LOL^

Why so harsh?

Recently watched TPM 3d and AOTC blu ray, and i shed a tear or two when anakin left shmi and shmi died. Its just so damn sad!

If things had been slightly different, if Qui-gon had lived, there wouldn't be such awkward and unhealthy emotional vacuums that Obi and Ani experience.

It must have been tough for both Obi and Ani after qui-gon died. Thrown together not by choice but through the cruelty of fate.

4. VadersPappy

VadersPappy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2009
    Since Qui Gon was a witness to the loving interaction between Anakin and his mother in a way that Obi obviously never got a chance to, I wonder if Qui Gon, had he survived and become Anakin's master, would have let Anakin visit his mother during his Jedi training? Or allowed Anakin to return to his home planet and free his mother?

5. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    It certainly would be in character for him to allow Anakin to go there. He was a rogue, they could go on a "detour" to Tatooine.

6. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I'm sorry, but I don't feel that way about this scene. It didn't feel sad at all. It should have been, but it didn't. If anything, it fell short and stiff because of the acting between Lloyd and August. Pernilla August is "not a good actress", in my opinion. Her dialogue is barely audbile at times, and in certain scenes it feels insincere. Anyone who thinks otherwise has no idea of what good acting is.

[face_shame_on_you]

7. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I think Qui-Gon would have gone back and freed her for himself, nevermind Anakin. ;)

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Oh no, I've been wrong all along!

/irony

9. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I think Qui-Gon would have gone back and freed her for himself, nevermind Anakin.

How many years after Anakin left did Shmi remain a slave? I have heard that it was five years or less, but I'm not sure.

10. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    It seems you have no idea what good acting is to be honest.

11. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Whoa... it's Michelangelo's Pieta.

That ties in perfectly with what I wanted to say in response to earlier posts about Shmi's Jedi-like pearls of wisdom: she's the Virgin Mary of the series, so one would imagine she's a person the Force considers particularly pious, whether or not she's devoted her life to studying it. I think it's totally appropriate to say she's a better mentor to Anakin than the Jedi on Coruscant are.

DarthBoba likes this.
  12. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    yes indeed. She was well acted by Pernilla August, it truly makes their farewell all the more heartbreaking.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  13. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Heh. Okie dokie, Dr. Jones. ;)

14. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Loved the scenes. It's especially sad in light of what happens to Shmi in AOTC.

And yes, I've seen parents with kids get all emotional while watching it!

15. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    I also like the trailers they used for Episode I on tv where they had characters narrate.

The one used with Shmi was pretty powerful, she is a great actress and doesn't get enough credit I think.

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  16. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    I love this scene. I get emotional every time this scene comes on.

17. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    That scene was very dramatic. One of the best prequel scenes. Very sad too, with the force theme playing in the background.

18. BoromirsFan

May 16, 2010
    Every time I watch it now, I tear up. Knowing what transpires in AOTC. Then when I watch that scene in AOTC, my mind reflects on this scene!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Yeah. That's the last time they ever see each other, the second anakin turns his head around. Until a decade later, when she dies right after they reunite.

Another thing I don't get. Shmi died a few minutes after anakin arrived. How was his timing that good? Had he arrived a few minutes later, he would have no time to talk to her before she died.

How did she die exactly, too? Why did the sandpeople capture her?

20. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    His timing is just good. Luck. And storytelling.
    Shmi was tortured to death. Historically, the Sandpeople have always been at odds with homesteaders.

21. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Those sickos were the reason anakin turned to the darkside. They were also so cruel to shmi. I hate them!

22. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Those "sickos" brought Anakin closer to the dark side, but were not The Reason.

23. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    If they never hurt Shmi, she would have lived and anakin would not turn to the darkside because he wouldn't be as fearful when he has visions of Padme dying. He wouldnt have bad memories that would make him unreasonable.

24. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    You have no proof for your statement.

25. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Neither do u.