main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mary anakin and tusken raiders

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by orangerful, Jun 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orangerful

orangerful Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2002
    As I'm on a complete star wars kick now, I was flipping through my Insider's Guide for Ep I when I got home and looked at Anakin's bio. It mentions that he's the nicest kid in the galaxy and he once helped an injured Tusken Raider.

No wonder he was pissed when they killed his mom. Is this written anywhere else? (people who have read TPM novel??) Why would Anakin help a Tusken if they are no better than animals and obviously more than just "misunderstood"?

Thoughts??

Toodle pip
    Sam

2. Mogook

Mogook Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    The scene was in the TPM novelization. I don't remember it very well (I read the book when the movie came out, 3 years ago), but I think a raider was hurt and Anakin stayed with it until the rest of the Tusken tribe came. And they let him go because of it.

3. MuttandSolo

MuttandSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    Going from memory, in the TPM book (someone should really look this up and paraphrase more accurately) Anakin goes out into the deserts to trade with Jawas for Watto's shop. He comes across the T-16 hyperdrive that eventually gets used on the Queen's ship and on his way back he comes across a Tusken Raider who is injured and would have died otherwise. Anakin nurses the sandperson back to health and the Tusken lets him live they part ways and Anakin returns to Watto with the acquired hyperdrive unit.

I think that was it or else I'm combining two separate events.

4. DRK_HLMT

DRK_HLMT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    Yeah, I'll break out the novel when I get home, but I do recall the Tusken scene in there. Too bad Salvatore didn't mention it in the ATOC novel. Would have been a nice tie-in to the story and why Anakin was so PO'd (other than the Tuskens killing his mom). But it was probably because Terry Brooks added that part in TPM novel and it was not part of the original storyline. Just filler.

5. HalberKill

HalberKill Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2002
    I don't think it was filler as much as it was in the plans for the movie, but then george changed those plans after the book was written. Kinda like the R2 with rockets for Ep I that came out as a figure even though he wasn't in the movie.

There are a lot of cool things in star wars in general that should have been picked up upon by others. Hopefully some future star wars writers/filmakers/storytellers here will cover them in the future.

6. MuttandSolo

Feb 1, 2002
    Yeah, I had wondered why there were booster rockets on R2. I thought maybe it would have something to do with him on the ship making the repairs, but all you see is R2 rolling across the fuselage and squating over the exposed panel.

Interesting though, Hasbro ended up getting it wrong as well as a few other details on other characters (Ep. I Mace with a blue saber). On the action figure, there are 4 booster rockets that eject from the sides of the body, not out the appendages.

7. orangerful

Apr 29, 2002
    Salvatore does mention Anakin helping the Tusken (I just got to that part today at work) but it's more in passing than anything. I just wish we had more info on the Tuskens to understand the motivation behind kidnapping Shmi. So I guess I'm looking for more info on them.

I was perusing the Force.net's TPM deleted scenes section and it mentioned R2 falling off the walkway between ships and using rockets and that is why it appears on the action figure. Dunno how much truth is in that.

8. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    The R2 scene was in TPM. It was on the balcony of the Senate building when Anakin asked Qui-Gon about midichlorians.

9. BigBroadcastah

BigBroadcastah Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    i hate to be the one to say it but, as much as i enjoy the novelizations, i dont think they are canon. If GL knew that he was going to have tuskens kidnap shmi in Episode two, then he wouldnt have let Brooks use the tusken scene in the first novel.

10. orangerful

Apr 29, 2002
    I wish George would publish a list of what was canon and what wasn't. That would make my nit-picking so much easier!

11. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    I too feel the novelizations aren't as canon as the films. They are one step below. But, they can be used to help speculate or possibly answer questions that haven't been addressed in the films.

Basically, the Tusken scene from the TPM novel doesn't need to be canon. Most likely, Anakin in Ep2 forgot about his encounter with them in Ep1 (if you accept it really happened).

And it seems orangerful started this thread to learn more about the raiders' motives for kidnapping Shmi. I don't think there's any profound reason for it. Basically, Lucas needed it for the plot. But, if we want to explain it, we can just say that they kidnapped her for the sport.

12. sithspawn35

sithspawn35 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2001
    Wasn't the point of TPM to show Anakin as a Extreamly good kid? Is it not so hard to believe that that good kid could have gotton so overcome by anger that he killed the very same people that he helped 10 years before. Palpatine is VERY manipulative. He's already working Anakin. It was my belief that the Tuskan scene WAS in the original draft of TPM but was cut because George thought it didn't add to the story. Well, George was wrong. It would have added A LOT to the story of Anakin's character, something that he should have done more of in Ep I & II (Character development!!) Hopefully he will fix this problem by EpIII.

13. MuttandSolo

Feb 1, 2002
    It seems like Orangerful and the others are trying to find out if the Tuskens kidnapped Shmi for a purpose or they specifically sought her out. I don't think there is much motivation behind the Raider's actions. We all know the Tuskens to be violent, hostile, and territorial.

The segment in Episode I illustrates Anakin's willingness to help someone that is considered an enemy to the other settlers of Tatooine. That Anakin displays no prejudices or maltemper. If anything, Brooks may have gone overboard with Anakin's character development in illustrating the Goodie-Two-Shoes nature.

Episode II illustrates his transition from the good to evil. He begins to display prejudices as well as loss of control of his emotions. "Fear is the path to the Dark Side: fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering."

Fear: Anakin's nightmare's instil fear for his mother
    Anger: Anakin's anger over the death of his mother and his lack control over the situation.
    Hate: Anakin's anger consumes him and leads to his hate of Tusken Raiders.
    Hate: Being drowned in his hate he results to instilling suffering in an attempt to quelch his own pain.

This presents the root of the Force and life in general, the principle of recognizing situations that are completely out of the control of humans and having the wisdom to know when to let go.

14. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    sithspawn is right. The TPM Tusken scene was to show how good Anakin was.

And Mutt is right, the AOTC Tusken scene is to show Anakin's path down the dark side.

15. HalberKill

HalberKill Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2002
    I agree with Sithspawn, this scene along with the removed Greedo/Anakin fight scene, would have added much to the story. Whereas the farting eopie scene should have never made it beyond the first cut, let alone the final movie. Yes shakespeare resorted to potty humour occasionally, but when he did, it was funny. This scene was not.

As for the Tusken's motives, I think they are indigenous to tatooine, and humans are settlers invading their planet. Much like American Indians and early Americans. I think I may have gotten that much from the first few chapters in AotC, though I'm not sure, it may have also been from perusing the Star Wars site database, but I am pretty sure that is the case.

16. MuttandSolo

Feb 1, 2002
    Here's a few tidits on the Tuskens from TOS Databank-food for thought:

Fearsome desert savages inhabiting the rocky Jundland Wastes, Tusken Raiders are the foremost reason Tatooine colonists do not wander far from their isolated communities. Extremely territorial and xenophobic, Tusken Raiders will attack with very little provocation. They show no allegiance to even their native world-mates, as these nomads have attacked Jawa scouting parties on occasion. They have even gathered numbers large enough to attack the outskirts of smaller towns like Anchorhead.

Expanded Universe:
    So dangerous are the Tusken Raiders that few xenobiologists are brave enough to venture close to them. What little information that exists on the nomadic brutes is often contradictory and incomplete. Indeed, there are those in official government positions that question the relative sentience of the Tusken Raider altogether. Alien-rights activists, however, believe that such claims are being made to justify the indiscriminate slaughter of the Sand People and the acquisition of their land.

Tatooine colonists had already established a number of communities on the desert world before running into the Sand People. One such outpost was Fort Tusken, northwest of Mos Eisley. The settlers inadvertently constructed their fort on land sacred to the nomads. The resulting Sand People attack was brutal. The name Tusken Raider, along with their fearsome reputation and the Sand People-outlander tension were indelible outcomes of that bloody day.

Tuskens live a strictly ritualized life. Among their sacred tenets is a rich oral history told by a venerated raider known as the storyteller. The storyteller must recount the detailed Tusken tradition verbatim at each telling -- it is considered blasphemy to botch a single word. Such a crime results in instant death and the appointment of a new historian.

Tuskens travel in family groups of 20 to 30 individuals and their banthas. Tusken life is harsh and deadly -- as is the desert environment that bore them. Tusken youths are taught the dangers of desert survival at a young age. They must pass through an arduous rite of passage before being accepted as adults. Such trials could include hunting and slaying a krayt dragon or raiding an outlander camp.

17. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    Interesting.

18. Fipe_Naz-mero

Fipe_Naz-mero Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 4, 2002
    Wow... now that's some INFO.
    Thanks Muttandsolo...

A Krayt dragon.... humm that sounds interesting. Maybe we could..... [face_plain] ?[face_plain]

19. MuttandSolo

Feb 1, 2002
    It DOESN'T taste like chicken!

20. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    Orangeful,

According to the EU, unless it has the "Infinities" label on it it is canon.

21. gh0stdevil

gh0stdevil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2002
    Isbeth, not to contradict you, but I've heard a very different story. While George has OK'ed the writing of the books, the making of the toys, etc, etc, etc, he has publicly stated that none of them are true canon except HIS movies (IE eps 1,2,4,5,6, and soon 3). George is a stickler about this, and when asked about the books (especially the ones that might be an episode 7, 8, or 9, he's been very careful to say that they are not canon.

So, I'd say "Nothing but the movies are canon"...

-gh0stdevil / Chris

22. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    gh0stdevil/Chris

Your youth betrays you....believe what you would like. In the EU, all books, unless they have an infinity label are canon.

23. Rev_Leidu

Rev_Leidu Jedi Master star 5

Nov 22, 2001
    While George has OK'ed the writing of the books, the making of the toys, etc, etc, etc, he has publicly stated that none of them are true canon except HIS movies (IE eps 1,2,4,5,6, and soon 3).

*coughs* I believe that Lucas did not, in fact, write the screen plays for 5 or 6, nor did he direct them. Basically, he's doing the same thing with the EU that he did with those movies. Give his ideas and guidelines and sometimes helping out a bit.

It might not be the same thing, but I think it's pretty close.

Also, I agree that Lucas may have changed his mind about the Tusken scene in Ep I. He changes his mind so often, no one knows what he's going to do next.

24. Nichos_Marr

Nichos_Marr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    While George has OK'ed the writing of the books, the making of the toys, etc, etc, etc, he has publicly stated that none of them are true canon except HIS movies (IE eps 1,2,4,5,6, and soon 3).

PPOR. I never heard or read about George using the word canon or true canon for that matter. I'd be very interested to see where you heard that.

25. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    gh0stdevil - If the EU isn't canon, then why is it represented on the Official Site? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.