main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anakin as Maul replacement?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by jdshocktroop, Dec 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdshocktroop

jdshocktroop Jedi Youngling

Nov 27, 2007
    Im really wondering if palps would really have wanted anakin if Maul had not been killed because Maul was apparantly very strong in being able to fight both qui gon and obiwan at the same time. Ive also read that maul had no desire to kill palps later as other sith lords have done.

2. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    You are correct. Maul was the perfect apprentice; Sidious would have done with Anakin what he did with dooku. Use him and then kill him (probably get maul to kill anakin).

See thing is that Anakin, being the chosen one and all, was to dangerous to let live. With Maul Sidious probably knew here he stood, with Anakin Sidious would have been worried that Anakin would try to replace him. (not that hewould ever be able to do so, but he coulod have killed him while he slept)

3. Sitara

Oct 8, 2001
    You are correct. Maul was the perfect apprentice; Sidious would have done with Anakin what he did with dooku. Use him and then kill him (probably get maul to kill anakin).

See thing is that Anakin, being the chosen one and all, was to dangerous to let live. With Maul Sidious probably knew here he stood, with Anakin Sidious would have been worried that Anakin would try to replace him. (not that hewould ever be able to do so, but he coulod have killed him while he slept)

4. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Anakin was a replacement for Maul, however he became a far greater and more powerful apprentice than Darth Maul could have ever hoped to have been. Vader also effectively neutralized the Prophecy as the man destined to destroy the Sith was twisted to Palpatine's will.

5. Sitara

Oct 8, 2001
    Anakin was destined to bring balance to the force, not destroy the sith.

And he did. He broeught balance both times (in the OT and the PT)

Maul was a far superior apprentice, he wa a true sith, loyal to the Sith ways. Anakin was a traitor both to the Jedi Order and to then to the Sith Order. Had Maul lived Sidious would have simply used Anakin like the tool he was, then would have told Maul to destroy him. :D

6. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Bringing balance is destroying the Sith. If Sidious had used him as you suggest, Maul would have been killed and Sidious would have found the Chosen One's blade at his neck.

7. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    This is shocking. Everyone is coming out of the woodwork and overestimating Maul's abilities. Palpatine would always want Anakin over Maul, no matter what circumstances, even after Mustafar. Maul's name means tool. That's what Maul was, a tool. Palpatine spent over 10 years slowly twisting Anakin. Maul's garbage compared to suited or unsuited Vader. When people talk about Maul like this, I have to believe it's how cool he looks and has no real substance. Maul was never going to be great. Palpatine never rushed to save Maul on Naboo, like he did Vader. All Maul did was defeat a poor Jedi fighter (Qui Gon) and then engaged in sparking an opponent to death.

8. Sitara

Oct 8, 2001
    If Sidious was so keen on Vader, why did he rush to have him replaced with Luke? Obvious answer is that vader is far too pathetic and untrustworthy; he is a former jedi and thus cirrupted by jedi teachings.

Maul on the other hand was raised and trained from birth, he was one of the very few to know Sidious's real identity and knew aboutSidious's plans for galactic domination. Vader was never trusted with these. heck Sidious had to fool vader into becoming a sith, by making him think he could save Padme.

Vader was a hopeless, lovesick fool who only thought about padme, rather than of the Sith Order. Maul woudl never majke that mistake, Maul was devoted to furthering the goals of the Sith, even at the cost of his life. A true Sith until the bitter end, just like Sidious.

Thus, Maul was the perfect apprentice. But once he died, Sidious had no choice but to make do with what he had; the only reason he picked Vader was because Anakin was too dangerous to let live with the Jedi, due to the prophecy. Once the order was destroyed, had there been other candidates Sidious would have had vader killed and tossed away liek the burn out adn wasted rag he was. :)

9. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Palpatine was quick to try to turn Luke because while Vader was still more powerful than most Force Users in the galaxy his son was able to become what Vader no longer could be. No one other than Luke and Leia however had the same potential that Anakin had lost so there was no one else for Palpatine to bother trying to turning as even injured Vader is more powerful than all but the top tier of Jedi. The good in Vader was for all practical purposes gone and his redemption was an incredibly unlikely possibility.

10. Sitara

Oct 8, 2001
    Exactly, so just like Sidious tried to turn Luke, he would have kept Maul had he lived and ditched vader, like he tried to ditch him in ep6. (and like he ditched Dooku).

11. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    It wouldn't have really mattered, because if Maul came across Anakin in AOTC, he would have killed him easily, thus satisfying Palpatine's curiousity.

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The Sith want power and they want the most powerful. Anakin was potentially more powerful than Maul. He would've pitted them against each other and when Anakin won, he would become Vader. It's no different from when he pits Vader against Luke in ROTJ.

DARTH SIDIOUS: "His death was a necessary loss. Soon I will have a new apprentice . . . one far younger and more powerful."

EMPEROR PALPATINE: "Good! Your hate has made you powerful. Now, fulfill your destiny and take your father's place at my side!"

13. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    No, he wouldn't have. Vader's full potential was far more powerful than Maul could even hope to be. There would be no reason for Sidious to trade down to lesser apprentice. The whole reason that the Emperor wants Luke is that he has his father's full uninjured potential. If Luke didn't have that Palpatine would have simply had Vader kill him.

14. Yodas_Got_Bed_Head

Yodas_Got_Bed_Head Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 18, 2004
    LV66, I'm a huge Darth Maul fan but you make a few points I have to agree with. Do I think Anakin was Maul's replacement? No. Anakin was the Chosen One and it don't get much better than that. However I do feel Maul was an extremely lethal, killing machine. Of all the light saber duelists I feel he fought with the most ferocity. I don't think Maul had the intellect or desire to be more than a soldier for the Darkside. Yeah, the first time I saw Maul with his tattoos & double blade I thought he was one of the coolest characters in the SW saga but I think he has a lot of substance based (especially regarding the way Sidious raised him)...and yeah, the sparkler show he performed at the end of TPM was pretty stupid on his part.

15. jdshocktroop

Nov 27, 2007
    Well that spark shower seems to be that bit of stih arrogance wouldnt you agree?

16. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Star Wars fans don't like to see anyone talk bad about Darth Vader. I've learned that over the years.

17. jdshocktroop

Nov 27, 2007
    im not saying maul is better than anakin ever could be, but it seems like sidious would have held onto maul if he had not been killed.

18. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Once Palpatine learned that the Jedi had found the Chosen One, he knew that Maul would have to die at some point in order for him to take Anakin as his new apprentice. However, Anakin was too young when Maul died, so Palpatine needed a temporary apprentice to fill the void until Anakin's training had progressed far enough. Enter Dooku.

19. jdshocktroop

Nov 27, 2007
    Well i think it would have been smarter to kill anakin because of his instability and keep someone strong and loyal like maul.

20. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    "However, after all of his limbs were severed and he was extremely burned on Mustafar he lost much of his Force potential. As Darth Vader, Anakin was believed to have had roughly 80% of the strength of the Emperor. Had he sustained none of his injuries on Mustafar he would have been twice as powerful."

-George Lucas; Empire of Dreams

Gee, I wonder why Palpatine might be interested in Anakin? If you know the Jedi have the most potentially Force strong individual ever, wouldn't you want to corrupt him? Why keep Maul, and let the Jedi have their Chosen One? If Anakin is the Chosen One, Maul has no chance anyway...better to take the Jedi's Chosen One as his own. Not only does it deprive the Jedi, it strengthens the Sith at the same time. Palpatine would have been an idiot not to try to corrupt Skywalker. If he simply lets the Jedi have him, he ensures the Sith's destruction.

21. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I think he still would have had Anakin in the corner of his eye. Maul had the advantage of being taught as a Sith since youth and his dueling was impressive but he did fight two Jedi who weren't ranked in the top tier. Obi-Wan won that fight because he let out mild dark side use.

22. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Obi-Wan's use of the Dark Side nearly got him killed. It was only when he calmed down and was at peace that he thought clearly enough to kill Maul.

23. LemmingLord

LemmingLord Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2005
    They're all tools.. Maul was just the first one we see. I don't think Sids cared much who is apprentice was at any given time.. He's looking for the most powerful tool at any given time.

24. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
  25. Sitara

Oct 8, 2001
    Exactly; Vader was weakened and crippled by hjis injuries. had Maul been around Sidious would have dumped Vader immediately, probably by telling Maul to destroy him (or what was left of him). And Sidious would prefer someone he had trained since birth in the Sith Arts anyway, (aka Maul) than a rebellious, traiterous member of the Jedi Order (who inturn later betrayed the Sith.)

Vader is so pathetic he even attacked Sidious from behind, while Sidious was focusing on Luke in ep6. Definately not the way a true warrior would act

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.