main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Anakin Deserved More Respect From The Jedi Council

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by ObiWanKnowsMe, Nov 16, 2017.

1. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Okay so Anakin is the chosen one as we all know. And yet the Council literally treats him like he's a kid. Anakin is renowned by the galaxy as the best warrior in the order, he kills Count Dooku AND SAVES THE CHANCELLOR, yet the Council refuses him Mastery. And they only let him sit on the Council because they wanted to use him as a SPY!

The Council told him that as well. That's like going into a warzone and saving the US President and then getting back and not getting promoted to a higher military rank. I mean he just saved the Chancellor and killed Dooku, and the Council treats him like a kid and uses him to spy. Plus Mace Windu even tells him later in the movie that he doesn't trust him. Like really? No wonder Anakin felt pulled to Palpatine, the Jedi disrespected him.

2. Moll

Moll Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2016
    Not saying they did not disrespect him, but he was treated like a kid, because he kind of acted like one. He was impulsive and disobedient of his master. Despite that, I think he was deserving of Mastery...

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes, we know, because we've seen ROTJ. In-universe, it's just a belief.

No, he doesn't.

It's Anakin who believed that just because Palpatine wants him to be on the Council that he would get the rank of Master. That's not how it works, and they've rightfully denied it to him.

Obviously.

Perhaps you should pay attention to what the Jedi are about, and what happens & is stated in the movies.

Anakin, during the events of AOTC, went against his Jedi mandate and the mission that was bestowed upon him by rushing to Tatooine to see his mother. If any Jedi ceased to trust him, it's perfectly understandable.

Him saving Palpatine and killing Dooku is not and never was in question, not sure why you're even bringing that up. Not to mention that his feats and skills don't inherently grant him a promotion of rank within the order. Nor, as a Jedi, should he seek self promotion.

Also, not being pandered to doesn't mean he's being disrespected. To imply that following Palpatine's seduction is rightful is completely missing the point of the story.

4. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    They should have spanked him. Never did any of my kids any harm.

Moll likes this.
  5. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Alexrd, No it's not just a belief. George Lucas confirmed that Anakin is The Chosen One and that he fulfilled the prophecy. And yes they denied him mastery because of their rank, but it seemed to me he deserved it. And yes I know Anakin screwed up when the Council gave him trust in AOTC, but years had passed between then and ROTS. He had become a hero in TCW. And I'm not implying it was the right choice to follow Palp, I'm just saying The Jedi did not seem keen on trusting him.

6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    He was a hero of the wars due solely to his physical ability. Being granted the rank of Master is about so much more than physical ability.

7. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    They were right. Anakin killed an unarmed man. As for the operation, it was all Obi-Wan's idea.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  8. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    If Anakin deserved to be a Master he wouldn't have reacted so petulantly to not being made one. It's kind of a zen paradox but it's true.

9. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    Anakin was the youngest Jedi to have a seat on the Council. That was an honour in itself. He was, of course, on the Council by virtue of Palpatine's meddling. This would have set some alarm bells ringing. Given time, I have no doubt that the Jedi would have made Anakin a master and given him a seat on the Council.

As for his rescuing Palpatine and eliminating Dooku, that served only to prove his martial valour. Similar actions in the real world would likely earn someone a medal and serious acclaim. They would not, however, earn an immediate promotion to the highest ranks of the military.

I do agree with your point regarding Mace Windu. Windu may have correctly assessed that Anakin's feelings regarding Palpatine were in turmoil. This was ample reason to have Anakin stay behind whilst others carried out Palpatine's arrest. That said, I always had the impression that Mace disliked and mistrusted Anakin from the outset. I always felt that Anakin faced a certain prejudice by virtue of having begun his training so late.

10. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Look at Qui-Gon. Qui-Gon was long denied a seat on the Council despite probably deserving one, simply because he didn't always toe the party line. But Qui-Gon doesn't really seem to care. He's content with going his own way, even if it means he doesn't get the honor and glory that comes from being granted a higher rank. That's the example Anakin should have emulated. If he were a true Master, then he wouldn't lust for public recognition of that fact. He would be content with knowing that he was a Master at heart, even if the Mace Windus of the world refused to see it.

But he did lust for it, and so ended up proving his detractors right.

Jango723, Shaak Ti, Raquel and 9 others like this.
  11. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Let's not forget, Anakin was a slave so social status is important to him but the Jedi don't really understand it. The Jedi are right he's not ready to be a Master yet but it might have been better if they didn't put him on the Council at all. Especially since they also need him to spy on Palpatine. It seems to me, the Council has never accepted Anakin as one of their own and I'm sure he knows it.

12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    *sigh*

I said that in-universe, it's just a belief. It's only at the climax of ROTJ that it becomes fact. The Jedi haven't seen ROTJ.

No, not because of their rank. They denied him because being on the Council merely as the Chancellor's representative doesn't mean he should get the rank. And why does it seem to you that he deserves it? How do you know the requirements to become one?

What does that got to do with anything?

The Jedi did trust him. Mace didn't and for perfectly valid reasons. Yet he still gave Anakin the chance to earn it back.

13. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Exactly.

The council is treating him exactly as they should as a Jedi.

He's not a Master and isn't yet ready for it.

So really there is no real problem from the way the Jedi handle him.

We only know the problem as observers of the whole story that they do not have.

What they do and what Anakin does makes complete sense in terms of the story and how the characters and situations are presented.

Again right on the mark.

Yoda may having been watching over Luke but if he had only seen ROTJ before training him then things would have gone a lot smoother!

:D

Alexrd and Erkan12 like this.
  14. LionL

LionL Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2017
    Dooku is an unarmed prisoner - killing him is murder.
    If he is ignoring the Jedi code (killing unarmed prisoners, even getting married (though the other Jedi don't know about this)) the Windu is right not to trust him.

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The Jedi don't know that he killed him that way, the same way they don't know about his massacre and marriage. Mace didn't trust him, but not for any of those reasons.

Shaak Ti and Qui-Riv-Brid like this.
  16. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Kind of hard to earn respect when you’re bull-headed, do things your own way, and you literally throw a temper tantrum before the Council’s very eyes, saying, “What? How could you do this? It’s not fair! How can you be on the council, and not be a master!?” If I were Anakin and received this special honor, I would’ve simply bowed gracefully, said, “Thank you, my Master. I will do my best” and go to my seat. They may not have trusted him for multiple reasons, but it’s not like Anakin didn’t do his best to provide them with crystal clear evidence why they wouldn’t trust him.

17. theraphos

theraphos Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2016
    "It's the Council's fault he threw a tantrum! If they just gave him everything he wanted the instant he wanted it, because he wanted it, he wouldn't have to! They're meanie poo heads, like all grownups! He's special! Telling him to conduct himself maturely like any other Jedi is oppression! It's not faaaiiir!"

Did I leave anything out?

18. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    The Council just did not know how to deal with his power; the fear was he could become too powerful to contain. That's why they didn't grant him the rank of Master.

19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    [​IMG]

Sometimes I wonder what movie some people have watched.

20. theraphos

theraphos Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2016
    The one where Darth Sidious, Force Satan, is to be considered a font of impartial and absolute truth and sane, reasonable worldviews, because the Jedi can never be forgiven by the fandom for working cooperatively with the system and requiring self-sacrifice and discipline instead of being wicked sick loner vigilantes who answer to no one and don't play by the RULES.

21. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    He didn't trust him because he can sense his thoughts and his intentions thanks to the Force. Mace was the most powerful Jedi only second to Yoda. He also sensed the dark side of the Chancellor before Anakin told him the truth. Mace's distrust on Anakin only began after Anakin's massacre on Sand People. He sensed something in the Force and went to Yoda, and Yoda mentioned about Anakin's dark emotions to him back then, and after that he was always suspecting about Anakin and they can also sense how he killed an unarmed man, and then being married.

---4:00---

LionL likes this.
  22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    ?! No, he didn't.

Yes, he was.

No, he sensed the dark side 'surrounding the Chancellor'. Not in him.

No. Mace's distrust on Anakin was only revealed in ROTS, after the events of AOTC, in which Anakin broke his trust by not sticking to the mission that he was assigned in order to act on his fear of loss.

No, Mace went to Yoda and after seeing him unsettled, he asked him what was going on, to which he replied that Anakin was in 'terrible pain'. Nothing to do with "sensing something in the Force' or 'dark emotions'.

No, he didn't. And no, they can't.

23. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    Mace can sense what's going on with Anakin, that's not something new.

''I sense great deal of confusion in you young Skywalker. There is much fear cloud your judgement.''

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Indeed. He even asks him what's wrong and is surprised at what Yoda tells him.

25. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    So basically every OT purists' idea of how the Jedi should have been?

Subtext Mining likes this.