main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anakin did NOT kill the Jedi to join the Sith...

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by SithStarSlayer, Nov 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    I would maybe use EU books as a reference or to back up something
    that is definitely evident in the movies, but would not use it
    as the foundation for my whole argument. Let's face it..it's not
    the movie, it's not part of the saga, it's just an EU book which IMO
    is someone else's opinion of how the story should be interpreted.

2. Adm_Thrawn

Adm_Thrawn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 19, 2004
    [face_plain]

Thank you...for that....

As this is an interpretation of RotS, why isn't the RotS forum the place to discuss it? The fact that reading gives you a headache shouldn't hamper this fascinating discussion. I agree with Luceno's assessment. The 501st could've handled the Jedi on their own. Anakin didn't need to be there in order to effect the destruction of the Jedi. I disagree, however, that wanting to alienate Anakin from Padmé was the sole reason Sidious sent Anakin to the Temple. Having Anakin march on the Temple would've forced him past the point of no return. It would've forced him to cast aside any doubts that might've been running through his head. With every Jedi that tried to stop him, he would be become more and more convinced of their treachery. With the execution of the Padawans, Darth Vader was born. I doubt offing a bunch of cowering Separatists would've garnered the same reaction.

3. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    why do you always insult all people with the same nonsense ?? that becasue they dont like toread they cant share their POV.the books comes way below the movie in canon evidence wether you like it or not

4. Adm_Thrawn

Dec 19, 2004
    She didn't have a point of view. Just another naysayer who doesn't like the EU.

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Let's leave the eu/canon debates out of this.

6. Jedi-Queen

Feb 16, 2005
    That doesn't like to read jab is just juvenile and not
    worth a comment.

"the books comes way below the movie in canon evidence wether you like it or not"

Exactly. I've read a lot of the EU books, but they're not canon.
    They're someone else adding onto the SW saga or interpreting
    things as they see it which is definitely not canon or relevant
    other than to make casual reference to.

7. Adm_Thrawn

Dec 19, 2004
    Good idea.

8. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003

Well, since I can't crawl into a movie character's head like I can when reading, I'll take the EU's explanation of why Vader whacked the Jedi. According to both Dark Lord and the ROTS movie, Anakin killed Jedi. And since AnaVader mentioned overthrowing the Chancellor in the movie, (IMO) it makes the explanation that we are given in Dark Lord, even more reliable.

Anakin had bigger plans than just whacking Jedi, he was gonna whack the Sith too.

Maybe AnaVader was planning on creating his own Order?

Now that is some "EEE YUU" material...

For me, I like the fact that Dark Lord opens up the possibility that there was much more involved with Anakin's turn. It almost begs the question, "Was he headed down the wrong path WITHOUT SIDIOUS's SEDUCTIVE INPUT?" I think Obi-Wan nailed it on the head when he said, "Your lust for power has already done that..." Makes me believe Anakin would have gone bad either way.

9. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004

ROTS(the movie) shows clearly enough there were many reasons to slaughter Jedi at the temple,not just ONE reason.

Sending Anakin would achieve a number of things not just one thing,it allowed for his confirmation of his pledge of loyalty to the Sith and Sidious.

Obi-Wan found out about this from the security footage and the relationship Anakin and Obi-Wan had broke down subsequently too.

These post ROTS musings are fun but not canon.

Thanks for telling me I am wrong,but I am happy to be so(from your point of view) [face_talk_hand]

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003

Well, Vader didn't go to the Temple as confirmation of his allegiance to the Sith. If you re-read my initial post when I started this thread, you will see exactly why Vader slaughtered out the Jedi, then wiped out the Separatist Leaders. He was planning to overthrow Sidious, only Padme and Obi-wan laid waste to his plans...

Here it is:

"In fact, he hadn't killed the Jedi to serve Sidious, though Sidious was only meant to believe just that. In his arrogance Sidious was unaware that Anakin had seen through him. Had the Sith Lord thought he would simply shrug off the fact that, from the start, Sidious had been manipulating Anakin and the war? No, he hadn't killed the Jedi in service to Sidious, or, for that matter, to demonstrate his allegiance to the Order of the Sith.

He had executed Sidious's command because the Jedi would never have understood Anakin's decision to sacrifice Mace and the rest in order that Padme might survive the tragic death she suffered in Anakin's visions. More important, the Jedi would have attempted to stand in the way of the decisions he and Padme would have needed to make regarding the fate of the Galaxy.

Beginning with the assassination of Sidious.

(skip forward to page 154)

Even if he had killed Sidious , even if he had won the war single-handedly for the republic, the Jedi would have fought him to the bitter end. They might even insisted on taking custody of his and Padme's child, for their offspring would have been powerful in the Force indeed. Perhaps beyond measure! If only the High Council Masters hadn't been so set in their ways, so deceived by thier own pride, they would have grasped that the Jedi needed to be brought down. Like the Republic itself, their Order had grown stale, self-serving, corrupt."

So Luceno, with GL's Blessing (how else would the book get written), gives us an in depth look at what Anakin was thinking and planning to do after he (re-)acted on impulse and cut off the hand of Mace Windu.

IMO, Dark Lord makes Vader even more tragic and provides depth to the character we all loved as kids. Without it, Vader is just the half-metal, half-man in black with a cool voice and lung problems...

11. Jedi-Queen

Feb 16, 2005
    "So Luceno, with GL's Blessing (how else would the book get written), gives us an in depth look at what Anakin was thinking and planning to do after he re-acted on impulse and struck down Mace"

GL has given his blessing to a lot of EU writers whom I've read
    their books and just shook my head at and considered the experience
    time not well wasted :)

12. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Very true, Jedi Queen, very true.

But, this one coming hot on the heels of the last flic and being advertised as "The Sequel to ROTS" makes Dark Lord a better resource IMO, just as LOE was a great lead in to ROTS.

EDIT:

Here's why, many EU books were written during the "dead zone" between the OT and PT. The older EU authors had to create "more" of Star Wars to write about, whereas the newer EU stuff like Labryth of Evil and Dark Lord were written to "fill in" the little spaces the movie left open...

Both of the books were able to blend almost seemlessly with what was veiwed onscreen. IMO that puts a lot of distance between them and and other EU material.

13. Jedi-Queen

Feb 16, 2005
    I agree there. I thought LOE was a good lead in to ROTS.
    I Haven't read DL yet.

14. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I hate to say it, but I have to "do what must be done",

Dark Lord could have been even better than it was. (like we don't ever hear stuff like that on these boards)

Now my reasoning is simple, a book about Vader should have lots of Vader.

Everything in regards to Vader and Sidious was brilliant. I just didn't care for all the filler stuff regarding a few no-name Jeeedai. Especially after ROTS.

I gave it a seven.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.