main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Anakin in the new Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Vidianefficiency, May 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidianefficiency

Vidianefficiency Jedi Master star 1

Feb 20, 2015
    Will Anakin show up in the new Trilogy as a force ghost? The new trailer has OT dialogue with present tense ""my father has it"" and if so for what reason?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Miffy

Miffy Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 29, 2015
  3. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think he must be in it, or his absence should be explained convincingly. For me it would be quite a significant plot hole if force ghosts were to inexplicably disappear... especially if the galaxy and Jedi Order is in greater disarray than it was in the OT.

4. jerellis1

jerellis1 Jedi Padawan

Mar 23, 2015
    I think this is actually a pretty good question. I mean, we're all so conditioned into saying "Darth Vader is dead" that we tend not to stop and think that at the end of Return of the Jedi, Anakin's force ghost was actually 'alive' and well, and there's no reason to assume that anyone's force ghost would just disappear suddenly as there's been no suggestion of this in any of the films (I'm sure someone will let me know if there's some sort of now-redundant EU explanation to the contrary that I've never heard of.)

As long as it's done sensibly and carefully and serves the story well, it would be fascinating to see the ghost of Anakin on-screen at some point, not necessarily in TFA but perhaps in one of the other sequel trilogy films. Maybe he could appear before his wayward grandson in an attempt to drag him back to the good side and avoid 'becoming' the new Darth Vader. It had better be a perfectly-recreated CGI Sebastian Shaw though or I'm out.

whostheBossk and Baron_Papanerd like this.
  5. Miffy

Miffy Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 29, 2015
    Aren't we talking about this non-stop in the Rumor Depository?

6. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

I don't think their absence would be a plot hole or any such thing.

We don't actually know whether the Spirits ever intended to "stay" beyond the defeat of Palpatine.

7. Vidianefficiency

Vidianefficiency Jedi Master star 1

Feb 20, 2015
    It's just really interesting to find out why they kept the old dialogue and didn't record something new where had instead of has is used. There must be something to that.

I really do feel he will show up somewhere in the new Trilogy if not in TFA.

8. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Then would be the rationale? To watch over Luke whilst he becomes a Jedi and then dissapear when he needs them most?

whostheBossk and KenW like this.
  9. Prospecting on Subtyrrell

Prospecting on Subtyrrell Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 18, 2014
    Agreed. It's one of those things that could go either way.

However, it would be a bit odd to achieve this amazing ability then never use it again.

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  10. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    As seen in the Clone Wars series, the Nether World of the Force is Canon.

I guess that you can't live forever in the shape of a Force Ghost and needs to go back there at some point.

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  11. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    In my headcanon, Yoda, Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Anakin and Luke chat all the time, and force spirits are immortal. The force priestesses are also involved in chats.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  12. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

Abrams has expressed the view before that he was always more interested in the Vader aspect of the character - has said he considered it "blasphemy" that the great villain of his childhood is his children's great hero:) (he meant it humorously, folks, before anyone starts getting melodramatic:rolleyes: - so I would expect that he is giving precedence to the legacy of Vader and the consequences of his actions.

With Lukea pparently not being in TFA until the end, and Luke being the only champion of Anakin post-RotS, I would imagine that the consequences/discussion of Anakin's redemption will not feature until then, most likely not until Episode VIII, because while Anakin was the galaxies saviour from Palpatine, it could be that Luke and Leia, and a very select few are in the know.

And unless the Force Ghosts can appear to every Force sensitive, I would imagine any appearance will be in the later movie where Luke features more.

I would imagine a "headcanon" is a dangerous thing to have.

Always take care with it. ;)

13. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Redundant thread

whostheBossk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.