main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anakin is Darth Vader

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by IBDR, Jul 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IBDR

IBDR Jedi Youngling

Jul 5, 2005
    This is a fact that no one can deny. The idea that I am having a problem with is does the Galaxy know this? Do they know that Anakin, their great hero who prevailed in numerous camapign for the Jedi in the past come to terms and did all that he did, just in a different light of POV than someone like Yoda or Obi Wan would look upon it?

I feel as though there has to be at least more than Organa in the Senate that notice some sort of relation, though not physically, with Anakin and Darth Vader?

If not, then who would the masses think this Darth Vader is? Where did he come from?

One other thing that leaves a tremendous hole to be filled is that if Anakin is renown for being Darth Vader why wouldn't Luke know this, even on the fringes of the Outer Rim?

2. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    No one knew that Vader was Anakin. It didn't matter where Vader came from as long as the people obeyed him. Such is oppression.

3. Darth_Falcon

Darth_Falcon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 11, 2002
    I doubt there would be anyone bar the Emperor, Jedi and Bail Organa that know who Darth Vader really is. Maybe a select few from the PT era but very doubtful.

4. IBDR

IBDR Jedi Youngling

Jul 5, 2005
    If no one knew then how could he be so strong in the way of the Force? Someone had to have thought he was a fallen Jedi or something. Someone had to at least, in the Imperial ranks, seen him perform Force acts. Also those that witnessed the Jedi Purge after the actual destruction of the Temple.

5. Ackbar_The_Great

Ackbar_The_Great Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 2004
    Well Tarkin called him an ex-Jedi if I remember correctly so they do know he was a Jedi at one point, but not Anakin Skywalker.

6. Magnotta

Magnotta Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2005
    I think Tarkin might have known that Vader was Anakin. In Shadows of the Empire for instance(the only EU novel I actually liked), Xizor figures out Luke is Vader's sone due to the last name. I'd say then that probably some people in higher power know of Vader/Anakin, but that it's just not common knowledge to the general public. Besides, most people probably never even heard of Anakin Skywalker. I doubt any of the jedi were actually indivudually known to most people, with the exception of maybe Yoda.

7. Darth_Falcon

Darth_Falcon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 11, 2002
    You're right about Xizor, he knew that Vader's name was Skywalker "a long time ago" and after listening to the Emperors/Vaders ESB conversation, realised Vader, had a son Luke.

Perhaps in this instance, Xizor with his resources pushed to find information about Darth Vader seems he was Xizors main enemy/rival :confused:

8. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    The few people who have to know it do know it! And Vader wants to forget about his old life anyway!

9. generallee5

generallee5 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2003
    I don't think many people knew. After all, if they did, when Luke was in the Alliance surely someone would come up to him and go "Are you.....Darth Vader's son?"

10. QUI-DON-JINN

QUI-DON-JINN Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    Does Bail Organa even know Anakin became Darth Vader? From what I remember, Bail knows Anakin was the father of the twins, but when did he find out Anakin had become Vader? Obi-Wan and Yoda know, obviously, but did they tell Bail?

Just wondering.

11. ForceCloak

ForceCloak Jedi Youngling

Jul 5, 2005
    'Someone had to at least, in the Imperial ranks, seen him perform Force acts.'

Well considering he was Force Choking commanders when they failed (actually not sure if they were commanders or not) I would assume many Imperials knew he had Force powers.

12. mr_clark_90

mr_clark_90 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2005
    most of the people in the galaxy are probably either too stupid or just dont care enough to make a connection between anakin and vader. some people probably thought "huh, whered this vader guy come from?" but then they realized what a huge place the galaxy is and how the emperor can drum up any number of special helpers without alerting the general public. besides, its probably a general belief that anakin died along with the rest of the jedi

13. LORDVIGILANCE

LORDVIGILANCE Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 11, 2005
    Besides, most people probably never even heard of Anakin Skywalker. I doubt any of the jedi were actually indivudually known to most people, with the exception of maybe Yoda.

Never even heard of Ankain? What did the public say about Anakin Skywalker? "The Hero With No Fear"
    I believe in the ROTS novel Anakin speaks of small children playing "Anakin and Obi-Wan" a game where they would play as either Anakin or Obi-Wan.

14. QUI-DON-JINN

QUI-DON-JINN Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    ". . . and how the emperor can drum up any number of special helpers without alerting the general public. besides, its probably a general belief that anakin died along with the rest of the jedi"

I would say this is probably close. The Emperor could have stated publically "all the Jedi have been destroyed" thereby allowing Tarkin's comment of "their light has gone out of the galaxy" to be accurate. Apparently there are enough people in the Empire who remember Jedi or those who can use the Force for Tarkin to be able to make a connection between what Vader does (choking subordinates) and Jedi, but not necessarily knowing Vader used to be Anakin or a Jedi.

In "Tatooine Ghost," Kitster apparently has heard a belief, clear out in Tatooine, by some that Anakin became Darth Vader, but doesn't believe it. In the EU it seems as if some people are aware of Anakin's change.

15. Sebet

Sebet Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2005
    << Never even heard of Ankain? What did the public say about Anakin Skywalker? "The Hero With No Fear" / I believe in the ROTS novel Anakin speaks of small children playing "Anakin and Obi-Wan" a game where they would play as either Anakin or Obi-Wan. >>

True. If we take the novelisations as canon - and I assume we do, since (in the case of ROTS at least) half the actual story's in there - Anakin and Obi-Wan were living legends in the Republic and most citizens knew about them.

The RotS was very very good indeed, by the way. I'd recommend it, if there's anyone here who's not read it.

16. Parallax2265

Parallax2265 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2005
    I think the original plan was for Anakin to endorse Palpatines new Empire if need be, since he was considered the greatest hero of the Republic. But then there was that nasty little incident with the lava and the burning and disfuguring. After that, people just knew that Darth Vader was the Emperor's right hand man, and let's face it, when said right hand can choke you without moving a muscle, you don't really bother to wonder where he came from.

As for Bail recognizing Anakin as Darth...how? I don't remember him ever being told Anakins new Sith name, and the fact that Anakin gained several inches and couple of pounds with the robotics and the suit probably would have destroyed any physical similarities.

17. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    actually I don't think it was a secret. but most people either forgot or did not care. palpitine probibly said at some point that anakin was the last loyal jedi and he has sufferd for his loyality. much like himself(sidious) he has been left scared. the admirals on the death star seem to know he was a jedi. and tarkin holds a deep respect for him as an equal. the best way to explae that is he is familer with the deeds anakin preformed before becoming vader.

I think over time most people just forgot, never knew, or did not care.

much like the general population seems to have forgtten the jedi that forgot anakin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.