main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anakin is Sort of a Jerk in AOTC

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Kit-Fisto7BA, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kit-Fisto7BA

Kit-Fisto7BA Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2003
    I think was kind of rude to Obi-Wan in AOTC.

EXAMPLE:

Obi-Wan:Besides,your senses aren't that atuned,my young apprentice.

Anakin:eek:h,and yours are?

I'm sure you all agree,right?

2. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Well, no-one's perfect ;)

3. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Yeah, he's kind of rude with Obi-Wan. He's a young adult who thinks he's invincible and that he knows more than everybody else. He can be a jerk at times but I still find myself liking him.

4. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    I think Obi-wan is probably the biggest jerk in AOTC. But Anakin can be too, and Padme really irks me.

Thats why I miss Jarjar so much, he was good natured, of any of the PT characters, he's the most genuinely kind and caring. Qui-gon was very nice and likeable as well. Though Obi-wan did seem more friendly in the Dex scene, I wish he and Anakin could of had a scene like that.

5. Chris-Stacina_Rajinn

Chris-Stacina_Rajinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Yes, Anakin is rude to Obi-Wan, but he also has a lot of respect for him. i.e.: "He's as wise as Master Yoda and as powerful as Master Windu". I think that part of his problem is that he sees Obi more as a father he respects but can tease than as a master he respects enough NOT to tease. Also, Anakin feels like he's a lot more grown up then he is and I think he likes to challenge Obi-Wan in order to prove that.

Ankain's just different than other Jedi, I don't think he tries to be rude, he just tries to be normal.

6. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    I think there is an unspoken competition there that causes the attitudes between them. After all, Anakin does reveal that competitive spirit to Padme, "I'm really ahead of him."

7. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    they are very similar personalities, so alike in many ways, that I think that is a source of conflict.

8. oLiquidRusho

oLiquidRusho Jedi Master star 2

May 8, 2002
    Dang nabbits Anakin is a jerk. He knew Padme always had a thing for Master Obi-Wan Kenobi. So what does Anakin do? Talk down about Obi-Wan to her. I know this to be true. He was jealous of Obi's playah skills. Little did he know, he didn't need to talk bad about his master. Obi-Wan's mullet did that for him.

Anyway, I always saw their bickering more like how Ewan called it. Friends who've been hanging with each other too long. I mean I'm sure some of you have a friend you see constantly to a point that you two bicker about everything. Or do you guys just drop them?

9. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I don't think Anakin's a jerk. He's a little cocky and he makes some "rude" comments towards his mentor, but so does every young person his age.

I also don't think Obi-Wan was a jerk. I've heard this comment before, but why? He cracks off quite a few sarcastic lines sprinkled throughout the movie, but generally the movie shows he cares Anakin and respects Padme and his mentors. And I wouldn't classify any of these characters being more "jerky" or rude than Luke, Han, or Leia were in the original trilogy.

10. Master_Byrd

Master_Byrd Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2002
    I think Sarlacc hit the nail on the head about their "competition"... it's further revealed in ANH when Vader spouts off the-"Now I am the Master"-speech.

11. Cometgreen

Cometgreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    Yeah, Obiwan is a bit more of a jerk. "Well done my young apprentice." Ouch! "Your senses aren't that attuned, my young apprentice." Then, he even goes to Windu and Yoda to bitch about Anakin. :p

I really think the best interaction they have is in the arena scene. They both know what they need to do and want to make sure all of them escape unharmed.

And good point GS. I never even thought of that.

Cometgreen

12. Kit-Fisto7BA

Kit-Fisto7BA Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2003
    Sure,Obi-Wan's sort of a jerk,but he's just trying to be a good teacher like Qui-Gon.

13. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Obi-Wan more of a jerk than Anakin? Can you imagine trying to rein in that walking pile of Force and hormones? [face_laugh]

I never thought Obi-Wan acted like a jerk - exasperated maybe, but not a jerk.

The only real jerk-like thing Anakin did IMHO is when he challenged his Master "Why?" when they were in front of Padme.

"What?" Obi-Wan can't believe his pupil just said that.

"Why else would we be assigned to protect her?" Anakin "saves" his previous statement.

Anakin only becomes a pig when Padme enters the picture - who knows what the Master/Padawan relationship was like before she came back.

14. Chris-Stacina_Rajinn

Chris-Stacina_Rajinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Obi-Wan wasn't a jerk, he was just acting like a master is supposed to. Qui-Gon treated Obi-Wan worse than Obi-Wan ever treated Anakin. Actually, as a whole, I'm pretty sure Obi-Wan is a lot more lenient than most masters. Anakin's a unique case, the fact that Obi-Wan can handle it at all is impressive enough for me.

15. Cometgreen

Cometgreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    "Sure,Obi-Wan's sort of a jerk,but he's just trying to be a good teacher like Qui-Gon."

Actually, I think Obiwan was trying to be the kind of teacher he thought Qui-gon SHOULD be. Obiwan is much more obedient to the code and not as independent as Qui-gon was. I think, all though he loved Qui-gon as a teacher, he wanted him to be a "good role model" kind of teacher. Hence the chat they have in TPM while Anakin is being tested.

Cometgreen, who has capitalized should twice in a few minutes

16. Jedi of the West

Jedi of the West Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 7, 1999
    Remember this movie is starting to show us that Anakin is turning towards the Dark Side.

17. DarthSil

DarthSil Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    Exactly.

Anakin Skywalker = Darth Vader.

He's suppose to be a jerk.

18. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    Not according to George Lucas, he wants to show that Anakin is a good person, and wants us to sympathize for what happens to him.

Anakin is suppose to be likeable.

19. agfstyrer

agfstyrer Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2003
    i think obi wan is a good person. Anakin on the hand is a ass. im glad when obi wan made the speech in the arena when anaking says. "then we decided to come rescue you" obi looks at his chains "good job" that made me crack

OBI WAN FOREVER+yoda+windu 8-}

20. DarthSil

DarthSil Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    Anakin was likeable in Phantom Menace. There wasn't one trace of "badness" in him.

In AOTC we needed to start seeing the transition. His arrogance and cruelty emerged in the film along with his kindness and compassion.

If he hadn't shown any signs of Darth Vader in AOTC, people would complain.

21. Blasphemy

Blasphemy Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 12, 2003
    I don't really think that he was acting like a jerk, I think George Lucas was trying to show the start of the darkness inside Anakin you know? Or he was just being a rude PERSON.. :mad:

22. Darthoffski

Darthoffski Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2003
    Let's not forget the scene in the lift where master and apprentice share a little joke, and Obi acknowledges Anakin having to rescue him.

Just after that point they're down to business, with Anakin eager to protect/impress Padme. If there is a guy using these boards who has never, in the pursuit of a fair maiden forgotten their other friendships for a moment and in their eagerness to impress a girl acted in a way that could be considered jerky by others, they would have to be some kind of saint, or have only pursued fair maidens in their minds and not yet experienced the friction that is created when trying to balance friendships with other relationships.

In a more film related way, we join the story when people are trying to kill Padme, dark deeds are afoot, and there has been an unseen 10 year period of training in the Obi/Ani relationship.

Yes, Skywalker is kind of a jerk in AOTC, but it's a perfect match for whiny Luke of the same age (who also loses 'parents' which stops his whining).

Also, by making Anakin someone who is capable of being a jerk, Lucas makes him more like a real person, aiding identificatin with the character. If it sounds irritating to hear him complain, think for a moment about how often real people think things are unfair and voice their opinion about it. It's not restricted to teenagers, but it is often called a teenage trait, because us 'grown ups' either have to do something about the things we think are unfair or learn that complaining is a waste of energy if complaining is all we are going to do. We either learn that lesson or we live and die frustrated.

Ooh, got all philosophical there, trying to get back on track again...Anakin, presented with situations reacts 'in character'. If he sounds like a jerk to some people, it's probably because those people think only other people are jerks, and that their own gripes are always justified.

23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Let me ammend that statement for you. Anakin is very much a jerk in AOTC. Did you see the way he acted? The quips he threw back at Kenobi? Alright then.

24. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    "In AOTC we needed to start seeing the transition. His arrogance and cruelty emerged in the film along with his kindness and compassion.

If he hadn't shown any signs of Darth Vader in AOTC, people would complain. "

But the problem is the bulk of the transition happened between ep1 and ep2. TPM Anakin is unrecognizable as AOTC Anakin (for more reasons then one)

I feel like some of Anakins most important steps towards the darkside happened in the 10 year gap. Just as Palpatines manipulation of Anakin, Anakin and Obi-wans friendship and now the clone wars, all seem to happen between the movies. Why is GL putting the important stuff offscreen?

It just seems like TPM ended and Anakin was pure good. Then AOTC starts and he was already 90% evil. The change was so dramatic, that the next logical step would be for ep3 to start with Anakin already turned into Darth Vader, and have his wounds explained in the opening crawl.

25. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    He was a bit of a jerk, si.
    There were a couple of times I wanted to back hand him :p
    But he also showed good qualities too.
    He reminds me of me. Only I'm a bit better at biting back my tongue ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.