main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anakin is Sort of a Jerk in AOTC

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Kit-Fisto7BA, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    EXAMPLE:

Obi-Wan:Besides,your senses aren't that atuned,my young apprentice.

Anakin:eek:h,and yours are?

I'm sure you all agree,right?

Teenagers take note. You all act like that, it's just that when you specifically act like that, you think you're right. Which is what Anakin does. He is just young. He doesn't know any better (not really, he's stubborn).

Obiwan was still a jerk too, in TPM and he was 5-6 years older, and had been a jedi all his life. Time calms everyone down.

2. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Anakin is arrogant and it makes him shove himself into making too many irrational decisions.

3. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Anakin reminds me of some of my students. I had one kid tell me "YOU'RE WRONG!" and then completely mischaracterize my argument, because he wanted to show that he had a good grasp of the relation between genetics and personality types.

He didn't.

Regardless, I really didn't see the "good friend" he was supposed to be in ANH. The elevator scene, to me, didn't make up for the rest of the mutual sniping the two did during the rest of the film. Anakin is cocky, rash, headstrong, and... actually a lot like Luke was to Obi-Wan (except Luke was a little more open to instruction).

4. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    But it was obvious that Luke loved and respected Obi-wan, where as despite thate fact that Anakin says that he cares about Obi-wan, he doesn't sound very convincing, if anything it sounds like he's lying.

Even the elevator scene I don't get any real warm feelings between them.

5. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    I think Padme was more of a jerk.

6. AAMD11

AAMD11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    Sort of a jerk? I dont think sort of is the word id chose to describe it. Hew as a jerk.

7. jabba_the_nut

jabba_the_nut Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 17, 2003
    The only really nice guy in the movie was Dooku. He offered helpful feedback regarding Obi-Wan's dueling skills and spared the lives of both the opponents he defeated. He also offered a chance for Obi-Wan to back out before the duel, and complimented Anakin on his bravery.

Obi-Wan was not really a jerk though. He was just trying to act as an authority with the biggest jackass in the universe for a padawan.

8. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    I know you were joking, but it is funny that the villian is also the most polite character in the film.

9. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Well, I consider Yoda to be the most polite character in the movie.

But in regards to your statement as Dooku being the most polite character of Attack of the Clones, I think the same thing could be said for A New Hope in regards to Tarkin. Luke, Han, Leia, C-3PO, Owen...they all bicker between one another and are quite rude at times. Hero wise, the most polite character in A New Hope is Obi-Wan.

10. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    Yeah thats true, but I felt that Han and Luke respected and liked each other, but i don't get that from Padme, Anakin and Obi-wan

11. jabba_the_nut

Jul 17, 2003
    Agreed.

Vader is also a rather polite individual, although he doesn't take criticism of his religion lightly.

Dooku was my favorite character in AOTC and I can't help but think his congeniality contributed to that. :D

12. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    Anakin sounds like he's supposed to - a teenager.

13. Cometgreen

Cometgreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    The sith are always proper. Well, not Maul, cause he was bloodthirsty, but the other, more wise ones were. They always try to negotiate before resorting to violence. ;)

Cometgreen

14. jabba_the_nut

Jul 17, 2003
    Yes, and now that I think about it, Darth Vader's pretty generous with promotions.

15. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    But on the flipside he was also generous with 'letting people go from this organization' ;)

And RS, one more time for good measure. Did you get any feeling of warmth between Anakin and Obi-Wan? :p

16. Anonymous24

Anonymous24 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 21, 2003
    Hmmm, yeah, even when Obi-Wan's trapped on Geonosis, Anakin doesn't want to go rescue him. Padme has to convince him to.

I think Obi-Wan wasn't old enough or wise enough to be Anakin's master. He was only 25 when he took Anakin on as his apprentice - still a young man himself. A 25 year-old man trying to raise a 9 year old boy... just didn't work. He criticizes Anakin all the time - maybe he's under a lot of pressure, because he knows Anakin is the Chosen One, so he feels its his responsibility to make Anakin as perfect as he can. And he faces a lot of the same problems that all father's face, such becoming frustrated when they watch their sons make mistakes that themselves made when they were younger, try to explain to their sons that they're making mistakes, but the sons just ignore them.

Qui-Gonn and Obi-Wan got along much better. Sure, they had disagreements over the nature of the Force and the mandates of their missions, but Obi-Wan always respected Qui-Gonn; he voiced his opinion when he thought Qui-Gonn was wrong, and Qui-Gonn listened to him and reasoned with him, and in the end Obi-Wan obeyed Qui-Gonn, even if he thought Qui-Gonn was wrong. I guess that's the ideal parent-child relationship - one where there's mutual respect on both sides and the parent isn't afraid to explain himself to the child. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Obi-Wan doesn't seem to reason to much with Anakin.

17. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    "RS Did you get any feeling of warmth between Anakin and Obi-Wan?"

The odd little buit here and there. But no, not really. My impression was that they can't stand each other, but just put up appearances because they have to spend time together. But whenever they did say something nice to/about each other, it always felt like they were lying.

But then I got that impression from the whole Padme/Anakin relationship to. Pretty much all the interaction, it felt like everyone hated each other to me.

Except Jarjar, he seemed to genuinely care about Anakin and padme.

18. Apollo68

Apollo68 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2003
    Anakin feels like he's capable of so much since he is so gifted - yet he has to follow & learn at the pace of a regular Jedi Padawan. It's like a really gifted, smart kids being stuck with average kids in school - they get really bored & resentful that they have to slow down for everyone else.

In the novelization of AOTC when they are following Zam into the bar Obi says, "Why do I feel you'll be the death of me?" & Anakin responds angrily saying, "Don't say that - I love you - as if you were my father" Or something like that. Anakin definitely says that he loves Obi. I wish that had been in the movie so people would understand how deeply Anakins feelings are conflicted towards Obi.

19. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    No I know they say it, its just that the performances some how make me think otherwise. Like they're JUST saying it.

20. Apollo68

Apollo68 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2003
    Yeah, I gotcha - kinda like when Padme finally expresses her love for Anakin on Geonosis - I can hear Lucas directing before the scene is shot . . .
    "OK - imagine - you're both wooden, like fireplace logs - but some how you can speak & you're in love. OK - ACTION!"

21. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    Yeah.

Ironically, int he scene where Obi and Ani argue on the gunship about whether to continue after Dooku or go back for Padme, (my favorite scene) I do get the sense that Obi-wan cares for Anakin, which oddly enough is while they are passionately arguing.

I don't blame AOTC entirely though, TPM did a very poor job of setting up the relationships, the three main characters had almost no dilaogue with each other. That said, AOTC should of taken that into account and compensated for it.

22. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    I disagree that TPM did a poor job setting up the relationships between the 3 characters because it was set up beautifully.

The Anakin/Padme relationship is nothing like the one Anakin has with Obi-wan because they DO NOT hate each other. If they did, then none of the following would happen:

For Anakin, he'd never...
    *Dream about Padme throughout his years of training.
    *Agree to be Padme's bodygaurd.
    *Let Padme get away with the comment she made to Sio Bibble about Ani being a "padawan".
    *Agree to Padme's wishes of not falling in love.
    *Allow her to follow him to Tatooine.

and

*Risk expulsion from the Jedi Order by marrying Padme.

For Padme, she'd never-

*Agree to have Anakin as her "Jedi protector" if she didn't like his advances.
    *Wear skin-bearing outfits in front of him knowing how much it will make Anakin's hormones erupt like a volcano.
    *Allow him to rub her back and kiss her at the same time.
    *Have picnics with Anakin and rolling over the grassy fields together.
    *Have dinners with him.
    *Agree to go with him to Tatooine.
    *Profess her love to Anakin when they were sentenced to die on Geonosis.

and

*Agree to marry Anakin.

As it is, Anakin has had a long-time crush on Padme since TPM and he has never stopped thinking about her since he was 10 while Padme shows that she cares for Ani when she comforts him over his seperation from his mom. Even though Padme has genuine feelings for Anakin, it didn't develop into romantic feelings until they reunited in AOTC.

Their bond was so powerful that nothing could tear them apart, of course, Palpy/Sidious will prove us wrong in Episode 3.

For the Obi-wan/Anakin relationship, it's very dysfunctional and I can see why it's the way it is....because it sets up the incoming conflict between them in Episode 3 since they were forced to be Mentor and student as a result of Qui-Gon's death. From the beginning, Obi-wan didn't want Anakin as a Jedi because he shares the same concerns as the Council did about Ani being dangerous and since Ani overheard him express his concerns to Qui-Gon, it planted the seeds of resentment he'll have towards Obi-wan.

Obi-wan never believed in him, supported him, or cared for him like Qui-Gon did but because it was his dying wish, Obi-wan had to honor that wish while Anakin rebels against him not only for sensing the very reason Obi-wan is training him, but because he's tired of the putdowns, the criticism, the strictness of Obi-wan's teachings, and being "held back" by him. He only pretends that it isn't the case by saying that he enjoyed being Obi-wan's apprentice and that he's like a "father" to him.

Anakin looks up to Palpatine more than he does Obi-wan because in his mind, Palpy has given him all the support and encouragement he needs when all Palpy is doing is stroking his ego, turn him against Obi-wan, and undermine his mentors' guidance.

In conclusion, one relationship(Anakin/Padme) is genuinely bonding while the other(Obi-wan/Anakin) feels artificial and mentally damaging.

23. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    it's clear from AOTC & the OT Obi-Wan seems to think of them as good friends/brothers

"and a good friend" - the superb acting of Mr.Guiness shows he's being geniune & AOTC Obi cares for Anakin, obviously

i always think he cares for him as a friend, Not as his padawan

now the other way around however, i feel Anakin cares for Obi more as a Master than a friend, whenever he says Obi is like his father i can almost see Anakins mind(or perhaps Palpatines words) forcing him to make himself believe that

in the ROTJ novel too, when he is dying in Lukes arms he feels geniune love for Obi-Wan "as if it is for the first time", i think that when Obi-Wan came around to training Anakin he had already put up his shield(because he heard how Obi talking about him to Gui) towards Obi, never really looking at him "with his own eyes"

i think when Luke came around, first Obi-Wan & later Anakin finally managed to dissolve their differences

24. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    As Anakin's master, it is Obi-Wan's duty to correct Anakin on all of his misconducts, incorrect thinking, and strong headedness.

But Kenobi tried to hold Anakin by a tight leash. By telling Obi-Wan that he could sense everything going on in Padme's room, Anakin was giving his master a report on Padme's safety. Kenobi did admit by guarding her just by Anakin's Jedi senses was risky, but in my opinion he sort of threw Anakin down by telling him that his senses weren't that well attuned.

When the kouhuns were about to kill Padme, it was actually Anakin who sensed them first.

Anakin is not a jerk. In Episode II he's just young and ready to believe he's a little better than he actually is.

Anakin is a highly skilled for a Padawan learner, and in some instances more capable than even Master Kenobi.

25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Keep in mind that exchange started with Anakin's implication that he was more attuned to her than Kenobi was. This was highly disrespectful. Imagine someone responding to a reprimand from their immediate superior by insinuating that they could do the job better. Given the situation, I think Kenobi's response was pretty good. Whereas Anakin's, by the simple fact of its arrogance (let alone the pointless rebelliousness) is very much "jerk-like" behavior. The same thing is true of his exchange with Padme when they met Queen Jamilla.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.