main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ANAKIN IS WHINEY!

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by yoda_boba, May 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yoda_boba

yoda_boba Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    i have just one question...WHY IS ANAKIN EVEN MORE WHINEY THAN LUKE?!

2. Mauler_II

Mauler_II Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    I would describe him more as an "angst filled teenager" than whiney. I also thinks it fits in very well by setting up Anakin's fall and showing where look got his genes.

3. solo414

solo414 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    I don't think anybody could be as whiney as Luke. Anakin does whine, but his son has the title, IMO. Anybody that begins a sentence with "but"..."But I was going to go to Toshi station to pick up some power converters!" Dear lord. I still cringe.

4. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Obviously it's genetic. You might notice they even share a line: "It's not fair!"

5. marajoan

marajoan Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 3, 2002
    I see it more as explaining where Luke and Leia get there character traits from. I see Luke in the Anakin character and Padame taking care of herself without the guys help as where Leia gets her toughness. "It's all Obi Wan's fault" is definitely up there with the Toshi station comment. Considering the context of each line, Anakin should have been talking in a more mature manner. Luke was just a kid but Ani had been trained to be above that all.

6. marajoan

Mar 3, 2002
    The whiney subject has been discussed by Mirrax, Jedisister and myself in the past and it was agreed that whiney is the first step toward the dark side. First whiney, then snotty and then it moves onto cruel. Ani has already reached snotty and we saw a little of cruel. Luke never moved beyond whiney, even in the EU.

7. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Why is everyone always so down on Luke? Yeah, he whines in Star Wars, but it's not as much as people say. Not to mention, if I lived on a farm in the desert, with my boring aunt and uncle, farming water of all things, I'd probably want to get the hell out of there too. I think Luke stops whining as soon as he's off Tatooine. He's certainly not whining when he has to con Han Solo into rescuing Leia. It's not Han's idea to be brave, it's Luke's. When a fellow pilot says, "Two meters, that's impossible." Luke, who has yet to fly an X-wing or in combat, states it shouldn't be that difficult. By Empire Strikes Back, he's even more confident, leading the snowspeeders into battle. I don't really see his attitude on Dagobah as "whiney." He simply doesn't believe that it's possible to lift an X-wing with just your mind. By the time he faces Vader, he is more confident in his skills. Maybe he whines a little at the end (and I don't think it was actually whining, but more frustration or disbelief) but in defense of him, he's: a) hanging on a post above a long drop, b) told that the second most evil person in the galaxy is his father, and c) down to 50% of the hands he was born with. By Return of the Jedi, he's very confident, enough to stroll into Jabba's palace and make demands. Maybe Luke doesn't have the charm, or the flash of Han Solo, but his bravery can't be denied, nor can his determination. It seems a shame that for half an hour while he's on screen at the beginning of the film, he's labeled for all time.

Maybe I just don't like that in a recent poll on the collecting thread the options for who would win were: Mace Windu, Yoda, Darth Maul, Darth Vader, the Emperor, Obi Wan and Plo Kloon. No mention of Luke. As for the "Not my fault" line he inherits. I believe Lando and Han both say it as well.

Dwayne

8. Rick_Sith

Rick_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 2, 2002
    Luke's edited line to the Emperor in ROTJ:

"I'm a whiner, like my father before me!"

:D Had to do it.

9. marajoan

Mar 3, 2002
    I love it Rick!!!
    I agree, Luke in all three movies does not whine as much as Anakin in this one alone. You just expect someone who has trained for 10 years to be a Jedi to have more self control. Luke never really trained by matured faster. Yes, I know he was older to start with but he did not learn the way Anni did. If you read the books, Luke doesn't whine at all and it is mentioned frequently how much he matured over the years. Anakin just takes it out on people in a different way. He chokes them if he doesn't get his way.

10. mirrax

mirrax Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2002
    Have any of you seen "Life As A House"? Hayden is whiney in that movie too, so, maybe, he's just basically a whiney actor! Of course, the characters he has played are teenagers with multiple flaws - good thing he does a good whine!!

11. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Life As a House = Corvette Summer

12. bwing53

bwing53 Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2002
    Life as a House was a pretty good flick--and he was rather whiney in that, too. He just takes whiny parts, I'm afraid. As far as comparisons go, in Life as a House he was pimped by the popular young stud; in AOTC he's pimped by the aging & soon-to-be decrepid Palpy. Geez.

13. marajoan

Mar 3, 2002
    Life as a House = Corvette Summer = Hanover Street

14. Skywalker1138

Skywalker1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2002
    I saw "Life as a House" and "Corvette Summer" and although the characters of Mark and Hayden complain, I consider neither Mark's acting nor Hayden's "whiney" by mistaken title. Hamill and Christensen do an excellent job of portraying what the scripts call for. Although the trend has been to label Luke as "whiney" when he explains he wanted to go to Tashi station, he was merely fet up with everything, so why label that as funny or irritable--(whiney is always irritable after all)--Had Luke been someone else, he could have received his Uncle Owen's comment (to clean up the droids) as a threat rather than an inconvenience (had Luke had another personality), and that would have thrown the whole move onto a different pace. I commend Hamill and Christensen for what the thread calls "whiney" yet what I call emotional portraits. Let's hear it for the boys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.