main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Anakin isn't the Chosen One!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by MasterP, Jun 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. factory5racing

factory5racing Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 1, 2003
    Balance was brought back at the end of palpatine's life. thus in turn sealing the fate of vader/anakin in the light side envelop

2. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    MBJ in italics
    (("after that we see Han blow up the shield generator and the rebels begin their attack on the DS. So-.isn?t Luke?s action of refusing to fight and declaring his father a Jedi the moment when ?something suddenly changes.? ?"

Congratulations. You've just made Han the "Chosen One" [face_laugh] ))

I don't know what you're laughing at. I offered the above in response to something you said which was:

Same with ROTJ. Just when all hope seems lost - the Rebel fleet can't get to the DS, Han's group is captured, Luke is about to be killed and Vader appears to have given up entirely - suddenly something changes...

to which I responded:

"Well in the movie ? Luke throws down his saber and says ?You?ve failed your highness, I?m a Jedi like my father..? etc. And immediately after that we see Han blow up the shield generator and the rebels begin their attack on the DS. So?.isn?t Luke?s action of refusing to fight and declaring his father a Jedi the moment when ?something suddenly changes.? ?"

you had presented the events in the wrong order, and going by what you said it does seem to me that 'something suddenly changes' when Luke refuses to kill his father.
    And that doesn't make Han the chosen one, nor did I say it made Luke the chosen one, but based on the 'something suddenly changes' idea I asked : "So?.isn?t Luke?s action of refusing to fight and declaring his father a Jedi the moment when ?something suddenly changes.? ?"

Only if you accept what Mace says as the absolute Prophecy. Not only might his interpretation be only that, but the vision itself is also subject to interpretation to the Prophet who saw it, as well as all those who he told explained the vision to.

Exactly. Mace's words are open to interpretation. He was paraphrasing, we don't know quite what he meant.

BTW, I mentioned "if "seen" is the right word" because the "vision" may not even have been that

Agreed. absolutely! We can't say that the prophet saw anything either..

The one person who does know for sure is the person who wrote the concept of the Prophecy, himself! Your "poor reasoning/writing" rationales do not change or undermine, in any way, what Lucas knows to be true of his own story, except in your own minds.

Lucas has been known to change his mind, amend ideas etc. and I assume he hasn't told us what might be revealed in ep.3. And I?m not making any declarations, I?m just asking and exploring the matter.

(("I suppose he did, in a way. The prophecy came true, but that doesn't necessarilly mean the prophet could see the future."

Do you mean at all? Or simply that the vision wasn't as clear as it could have been? ))

That prophet might have made a hundred prophecies and got lucky with that one. Plus I don't even know what the prophecy says. So how can I make a call on that?

(("What do you think is the 'balance' referred to in the prophecy?"

In the movies, none of the characters really know until it is reached, just like The Matrix. Outside the films, it is what Lucas tells us. You seem to keep getting these distinct sets of circumstances confused. They aren't the same thing. ))

The characters in the movies seem to be guessing, agreed. And I think what Lucas tells us is open to interpretation, as Lucascop said:

Aye carumba. You're telling me that you have never said anything "off the cuff" without leaving some hole that might need a second or perhaps a third sentence to properly close on your point.

He happens to be answering point blank questions in an interview dealing with very broad subject matter.

Lucas may have mis-phrased things, left things out etc.

So what do we know?

We know that there?s a prophecy , something about : ? ______bringing balance to the Force?
    A Chosen One is mentioned, but is that QGJ?s phrase? We can?t even be sure that the prophecy says anything about a Virgin birth, it might just say something about a boy without a father.
    When is this ?balance? achieved? Perhaps the r

3. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "Mace's words are open to interpretation. He was paraphrasing, we don't know quite what he meant."

And again, this is from the film. Lucas, who directed the film, has told us what the Prophecy really is. This is not up to interpretation. All this reasoning/rationalizing is just a smokescreen for the mindset of "I don't want to believe Lucas!"

"Lucas has been known to change his mind, amend ideas etc."

No offense, but this is crap, and old crap at that. I'd be embarrased to offer this as the best evidence for my theory. You're assuming/hoping that this will be the case, when there's nothing to indicate that he will do so for the sake of the Prophecy. The Saga is about Anakin, because he is the Chosen One.

"That prophet might have made a hundred prophecies and got lucky with that one. Plus I don't even know what the prophecy says. So how can I make a call on that?"

I'm not sure, but you did anyways. Besides, the number of Prophecies made by the Prophet is completely outside the scope of the films. Now, to make the Luke=Chosen One scenario make sense, we must assume 1) Lucas doesn't know what the hell he's talking about, and 2) the Prophet was wrong. Poor requirements for a theory, in my opinion.

"And I think what Lucas tells us is open to interpretation."

Because he's wrong and you're right? ?[face_plain]

"Lucas may have mis-phrased things, left things out etc."

Baseless assumption.

"As for what Lucas says - yes, what he has said is probably what he intends. But there have been enough instances where he has changed his mind between films, or amended things, whatever. Nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn?t feel comfortable saying "Lucas said "x" so "x" it is, definite, final!"

Fair enough, but it is not unreasonable to say "Lucas said "x" so "x" it is, until he says or shows otherwise, which he has not.

"It seems to me that putting a prophecy around a story invites that kind of debate."

Only if you disagree with what Lucas has to say about his own movies.

4. Obi-Can

Obi-Can Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2002
    MBJ,

The prophet and prophecy are up for interpretation. Just as Nostradamus' prophecies are so ambiguous that some people feel that they have been fulfilled and other's don't. No one, not even you, can say if the prophecy in Star Wars has come to pass in the OT especially when no one knows what the prophecy states.

I figure it's going to be one of those from a certain POV type of deals that GL is known to give.

Your basic argument is that GL has said this therefore it's true, but has been presented often in this thread GL has said a lot of things through the years that have been proven false by the movies. I find it interesting that you don't dispute this fact but stick with the one quote back in TPM's time from a Japanese magazine to prove your point. What about the movies? Dont they count? Why even bother watching them if they will never reveal anything new? GL is obsessed with protecting the secrecy of his plots, why would he voluntarily give away a major plot point?

If you go by the movies thus far, it is impossible to state who the Chosen One is, if there is a Chosen One and what the prophecy means and what brings balance to the force. This I believe is all thats really left in question as we enter into episode 3, everything else is known. This I believe is what's going to change the way that we look at the OT. George would not reveal those answers in a japanese mag. IMO.

5. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "No one, not even you, can say if the prophecy in Star Wars has come to pass in the OT especially when no one knows what the prophecy states."

Not even Lucas, or is this another one of those "I don't want to believe Lucas!"" statements again.

You make it sound like it's my interpretation, when it isn't. I'm merely showing the proof of Lucas' statement in the films and screnplays. There is a difference.

"I figure it's going to be one of those from a certain POV type of deals that GL is known to give."

As stated before, he've given us his "point of view". You simply refuse to accept it, because it goes against your POV. Between you and him, Lucas wins.

"Your basic argument is that GL has said this therefore it's true, but has been presented often in this thread GL has said a lot of things through the years that have been proven false by the movies."

Circumstantial. You've not shown one piece of evidence that he has any intention of changing this idea at all.

"I find it interesting that you don't dispute this fact but stick with the one quote back in TPM's time from a Japanese magazine to prove your point."

I find it interesting that you keep focusing on this single piece of evidence, and ignore everything else. In case you hadn't noticed, my posts are quite large, consisting of more than just quotes from Lucas. In fact, the one quote you focus on isn't even the only one I used. Did you forget the one from the American VHS release again? [face_laugh]

Whenever you think you can address the other 99% of my evidence, and answer my two-dozen questions, then I'll take your position seriously. Otherwise, this "Lucas is wrong" attitude is just wishful thinking.

"George would not reveal those answers in a japanese mag. IMO."

So now the article doesn't exist, or do you think he was drugged at the time? ?[face_plain]

Tell you what...come back when you can seriously argue the evidence, or come up with serious evidence for your "interpretation". Simply trying to make my evidence "disappear" says more about your interpretation than it does about mine (and Lucas') "interpretation".

6. LucasCop

LucasCop Jedi Master star 2

Nov 20, 2002
    I would just like to add one last thing:

The Force "nudge" theory is appropriate. The Force apparently has a "will". Therefore, it is plausible that it would try to influence and interact with events during the waning days of the Old Republic and throughout the era of the Galactic Empire.

Still....from what we've seen in the movies, barring the being-to-being interaction with the weak-minded, the Force does not have the ability to overtake another entity's "will" purely on its own. The worst that Vader could have done was listen to his midis before throwing Palps down the chasm.

"Remember, a Jedi can feel the Force flowing through him."

"You mean it controls your actions?"

"Partially. But it also obeys your commands."

7. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Entirely agreed with that. I posted this very scenario in The Nature of the Prophecy?, on the last page.

(Have you read this yet, Lucascop? It's quite a long read.)

8. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    MBJ in italics

(("Mace's words are open to interpretation. He was paraphrasing, we don't know quite what he meant."

And again, this is from the film. Lucas, who directed the film, has told us what the Prophecy really is. This is not up to interpretation.))

Well who died and made you King? I welcome seeing others? interpretations, and you?ve done a fair bit of interpreting yourself. And when did he tell us what the prophecy really is? He talked about it but what he?s said requires some interpretation IMO. And my above quote was actually agreeing with what you had said. So - ?[face_plain]

All this reasoning/rationalizing is just a smokescreen for the mindset of "I don't want to believe Lucas!"

That?s just a straw man argument, my posts aren't about disbelieving Lucas, I'm talking about interpretation and PoV.

(("Lucas has been known to change his mind, amend ideas etc."

No offense, but this is crap, and old crap at that.

Er?.yeah, thanks.

I'd be embarrased to offer this as the best evidence for my theory.

What theory? ?[face_plain]

You're assuming/hoping that this will be the case, when there's nothing to indicate that he will do so for the sake of the Prophecy. The Saga is about Anakin, because he is the Chosen One.

No, it?s just a simple observation, Lucas has been known to change his mind and ammend ideas:
    Leia is Luke?s sister.
    6 films instead of 9.
    Greedo was always meant to shoot first.

I?m not trying to prove that Lucas will change his mind about who is the chosen one, I?m referring to the idea of ?balancing the force? which I think he hasn?t been very clear on. And that?s OK, he?s not done yet.

Now, to make the Luke=Chosen One scenario make sense, we must assume 1) Lucas doesn't know what the hell he's talking about, and 2) the Prophet was wrong. Poor requirements for a theory, in my opinion.

I said last time that I ?m not trying to prove Luke is The Chosen One.

(("And I think what Lucas tells us is open to interpretation."

Because he's wrong and you're right?))

Boy! You sure see things in black and white! I said the above in ref to the ?balance of the Force?, which I don?t think Lucas has been clear about.

(("Lucas may have mis-phrased things, left things out etc."

Baseless assumption.))

Oh good grief! I said that in defence of Lucas. He?s said himself that he has been mis-reported at times.
    And in fact I?m trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, I?m assuming there are things he hasn?t mentioned yet.

Fair enough, but it is not unreasonable to say "Lucas said "x" so "x" it is, until he says or shows otherwise, which he has not.

Never said it was unreasonable. But I don?t think everyone has to agree with that. They don?t have to accept what he?s said they can just take their view from the films.

(("It seems to me that putting a prophecy around a story invites that kind of debate."

Only if you disagree with what Lucas has to say about his own movies.))

What?! How did you come up with that piece of logic? I was talking about the idea of prophecy, not Lucas. ? You seem to think every differing opinion is based on not believing Lucas. (I do sometimes disagree with Lucas on what he says about his movies. Don?t you? If he says Greedo was always meant to shoot first do you believe him? But even if I agreed with everything he?d said I still think a prophecy invites debate.) Look at this thread. And there are other films with prophecies ? they invite debate too, Lucas has nothing to do with those movies.

I don?t believe that the audience is required to know or even accept the artist?s POV, they can make their own, that doesn?t mean your POV or Lucas?s is wrong, just that everyone can interpret what they see the way they want.
    The destruction of the Sith is important, but I believe that the redemption of Anakin is the symbol for the peace and harmony to follow. And it?s Luke?s selfless act which directly brings this ab

9. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    (For the record, I am address points made by several posters, not just yours, gezvader.)

"Well who died and made you King?"

Actually, Lucas is alive, and these are his words. Nothing more.

"I welcome seeing others' interpretations, and you?ve done a fair bit of interpreting yourself."

Show me where.

"And when did he tell us what the prophecy really is?"

You've got to be kidding me! I've posted several quotes on what Lucas said about the Prophecy.

"He talked about it but what he's said requires some interpretation IMO."
    "Some of Lucas's remarks need interpreting, for instance:"

Well, when you take them out of context, sure. Anything can be made to sound foolish when taken out of context. Let's see the full quotes. (I can't believe I'm posting them yet again)

CUT magazine interview

"GL: I think it is obvious that he was wrong in Episode 1 and made a dangerous decision, but ultimately this decision may be correct. The Phantom Menace refers to the force of the dark side of the Universe. Anakin will be taken over by dark forces which in turn destroy the balance of the Galaxy, but the individual who kills the Emperor is Darth Vader - also Anakin. The tale meanders and both the prediction, and Qui-Gonn are correct - Anakin is the chosen one, and he did bring peace at last with his own sacrifice. Luke couldn't kill the Emperor himself, but he could make Anakin reflect on his life and kill the Emperor."

1. In general, what will the New Trilogy be about?

"Sam Davatchi's website reports that George Lucas told a reporter for Studio Magazine that Anakin is indeed the one who brings balance to the force. In this interview, Lucas said that Anakin vanquished the Emperor and brought balance to the Force, although he did need help from Luke to do so. In addition, Lucas said that Anakin is the only person who could do that, because he is the only one who had enough power and was close enough to the emperor to destroy him. As pointed out by Cinescape Online, this fits into the following statement made by Lucas in the Making of Episode I book: "The mystery around [the chosen one] theory is that we don't know yet whether the chosen one is a good or bad person. He is to bring balance to the Force; but at this point, we don't know what side of the Force needs to be balanced out." (6/18/99)."

George Lucas - from the American ANH VHS tape in the making of Episode II in the 2000 release.

"The first film starts with the last age of the Republic; which is it's getting tired, old, it's getting corrupt. There's the rise of the Sith, who are now becoming a force, and in the backdrop of this you have Anakin Skywalker: a young boy who's destined to be a very significant player in bringing balance back to the Force and the Republic.

In the second film, we get into more of that turmoil. It's the beginning of the Clone Wars, it's the beginning of the end of democracy in the Replublic, sorta the beginning of the end of the Republic, and it's Anakin Skyalker beginning to deal with some of his more intense emotions of anger, hatred, sense of loss, possessiveness, jealousy, and the other things he's coping with.

Then we will get to the 3rd film, where he is seduced to the dark side, which brings up to films four, five, and six, where Anakin's offspring redeem him allow him to fulfill the prophecy where he brings balance to the Force by doing away with the Sith and getting rid of evil in the universe.

The Making of Episode 1, Random House, 1999.

"Lucas: The midi-chlorians have brought Anakin into being as 'the chosen one' who brings balance to the universe."

Seems pretty consistent to me. Keep in mind that these quotes talk about "Balance of the Force" as well as"The

10. SlowLearner

SlowLearner Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2002
    Hello, all. I haven't read this thread in its entirety so I don't know if what I'm going to say has already been mentioned or not. Anyhow, here it goes.

On the AOTC DVD that has the supplementary materials, if you look at the promotional TV spots that focus on specific characters, the one for Anakin says that he is the chosen one.

For example, the commercial for Padme says her profession is "Galactic Senator." The commercial for Anakin explicitly states that his profession is "The Chosen One." Now, why would LucasFilm do such an advertisement for Anakin's character if he truly weren't the chosen one? ?[face_plain]

11. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Easy answer. Since #1 is obviously wrong, one must fall back on #'s 2 and 3...

2) Even if Lucas said it, he didn't mean it.

3) Even if Lucas said it, and meant it, he's going to change it.

Of course, you already know what my answer is... ;)

12. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    >>>"At the right time a balance may again be created, but presently it is being eroded by dark forces. All of this shall be explained in Episode 2, so I can't say any more!"

Well he didn?t explain it all in Ep.2, maybe he?s changed his mind about something.
    And then there?s the business of the 2 sides of the Force : the Unifying Force and the Living Force, what became of that idea?
    Now if you can explain all that without interpreting it then great.

Well, Episode II explaned what the "eroding balance of the Force" was about when it made such a big deal about how the Dark Side was "clouding everything."

The Living vs Unifying Force concept is alive and well, and is to do with the issue of living in the moment, the "here and now", versus the idea of being focussed on the bigger picture- the past, the future etc. Clearly, in Episode II, the Unifying Force philosophy has had the rug pulled out from under it's feet when the balance of the Force has been disturbed and they can't "see" properly anymore, and the Jedi are left feeling around in the dark. So they are left relying on the Living Force philosophy, which means they have no choice but to focus on the "here and now", while they are up against Palpatine's masterplan which has been over ten years in the making.

13. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    "2. He's adding this Chosen one/Balance of the Force concept to the OT, at the moment I'm not sure if he knows exactly what he means by it or if it will fit. And I?m not sure he?s made up his mind about what he exactly means by it yet."

Again, there are no quotes by Lucas to the contrary.

because there was no "Chosen One" before the PT, so why on earth would he say anything about it? im sort of agreeing with you here, i think.

Anakin only bcame the Chosen One after the OT, because Lucas decided to make it that way in the PT. there is no evidence to support Anakin being the Chosen One anywere in the OT. it is just another case of Lucas changing his story after the fact, thereby convoluting it beyond recognition.

as always i just shake my head and say: what a mess.

No offense, but this is crap, and old crap at that. I'd be embarrased to offer this as the best evidence for my theory. You're assuming/hoping that this will be the case, when there's nothing to indicate that he will do so for the sake of the Prophecy. The Saga is about Anakin, because he is the Chosen One.

how sloppy that the saga was not always about the Chosen One. Lucas figured out a way to throw the OT out with the PT bathwater.

14. Rekk

Rekk Jedi Youngling

Jul 30, 2003
    Yeah, I guess you've never seen the REAL Star Wars movies MasterP, because I pretty sure that Darth (or Anakin) kills the Emp (or at least until he's cloned again) at the end of The Return of the Jedi, ending the reign of the Sith/Empire. C'mon now, don't be stupid.

15. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "because there was no "Chosen One" before the PT, so why on earth would he say anything about it? im sort of agreeing with you here, i think."

Not entirely. The concept of the Prophecy existed in early drafts of "The Star Wars", as it was originally called. It was simply dropped to simplify the storyline of ANH, and the rest of the OT. The Clone Wars and Palpatine are examples of other significant concepts that were initially dropped or "sprinkled into" ANH, to be further expanded on later.

16. Xenobi

Xenobi Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    I Agree that ANAKIN is not the chosen one..even though George Lucas said so....

It would be so cool if Qui Gon was wrong..and that George lucas was also wrong(about his own movie) :) riiiight

but even though George said Anakin is the chosen one....

i mean....All anakin did was almost Extinct the Jedi..and kill the emperor that is all!

....if it wasn't for his son..who made him see the good side, and not only that but Luke started the new Jedi Order...(eu but who cares)

17. Scott3eyez

Aug 1, 2001
    Dr E,

>>>Anakin only bcame the Chosen One after the OT, because Lucas decided to make it that way in the PT. there is no evidence to support Anakin being the Chosen One anywere in the OT. it is just another case of Lucas changing his story after the fact, thereby convoluting it beyond recognition.

Of course, Anakin only became Vader after Star Wars, because lucas decided to make it that way in the sequels. There is no evidence to support Anakin being Vader in Star Wars. it is just another case of Lucas changing his story after the fact thereby convoluting it beyond recognition.

Does that make ESB a bad film, or bad Star Wars episode?

18. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    there is a difference between a small change that created a great twist, and an attempt to reconfigure three pre-exisiting films into a totally different concept after the fact. and no ESB is not a bad film because it a strong enough piece of storytelling and filmmaking to rise above things like "from a certain point of view". the PT can barely stand on its own legs, let alone survive even the most minimal scrutiny.

19. winter_chili

winter_chili Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2002
    there is no evidence to support Anakin being the Chosen One anywere in the OT

He kills palpy

20. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "there is no evidence to support Anakin being the Chosen One anywere in the OT."

As I said before....try to answer these questions (1:29 P.M.) without referring to the Prophecy, and see how far you get.

21. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    where was the "Chosen One" even mentioned in the OT?

the Chosen One did not exist until TPM as far as i can tell from the films.

22. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "where was the "Chosen One" even mentioned in the OT?"

I never said "the Chosen One" was "mentioned", just that the framework for the Prophecy does exist.

Case in point...

Vader - "Luke, it is your destiny."

If Vader and Palpatine didn't know of the Prophecy, or believe that Luke was the Chosen One, then why were they so concerned about killing him? ?[face_plain]

What harm could Luke possibly pose to Vader and Palpatine, in and of himself? In the novelizations, Vader knows that Palps is scared ****less of Luke. Ever wonder why?

23. Scott3eyez

Aug 1, 2001
    Dr E,

>>>>there is a difference between a small change that created a great twist, and an attempt to reconfigure three pre-exisiting films into a totally different concept after the fact.

I don't understand- what's being "reconfigured" about the three pre-existing films?

All of Luke's actions revolve around his father.

In 1977- Star Wars was one film about a kid wanting to become a Jedi, like his father before him. His driving force was his father.
    1980- He found out that his father was Darth Vader- because of this revelation about the father he never knew, his life had been turned upside down.
    1983- He set out to turn his father back from the Dark Side, and succeeds.

The three prequels could never have been about anything other than Anakin's fall, and the reason why it had to be Luke to eventually confront him (as opposed to the obviously more powerful Yoda or Obi Wan.)

To explain this, it *had* to be because Anakin had to be turned back from the Dark Side for some reason, that there was something that made him more important than his master.

The prophecy plot neatly slots into place without reconfiguring anything.

>>>>and no ESB is not a bad film because it a strong enough piece of storytelling and filmmaking to rise above things like "from a certain point of view". the PT can barely stand on its own legs, let alone survive even the most minimal scrutiny.

Well that's just, like, your opinion man...

[/The Dude]

[face_rollseyes]

24. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    This 'destiny' thing has nothing to do with the Prophecy. From what we are told in the OT, the Skywalker family is strong in the force. That alone is enough to make the Emperor leery of any Skywalker offspring.

The prophecy itself was never mentioned, nothing was said to the audience or to the other characters in the movies to indicate the existence of a prophecy about 'one who would bring balance to the force,' or how this person might be a threat to the emperor.

I think what Dr. E is saying is that we didn't know of the prophecy or any chosen one until the PT came out. And that does drastically change the framework of the OT. It diminishes Luke's role in the entire series.

Lady Sami

25. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    "The prophecy itself was never mentioned, nothing was said to the audience or to the other characters in the movies to indicate the existence of a prophecy about 'one who would bring balance to the force,' or how this person might be a threat to the emperor."

Maybe that's because the "chosen one" who the prophecy said would "bring balance to the force" had fallen to the Dark Side, and was working with the Emperor. Perhaps they had become too arrogant, and didn't think that Anakin/Vader could ever turn back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.